+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Linux] Caps Lock and other keys unavailable for binding

Member Ohn0es is on a distinguished road

[Linux] Caps Lock and other keys unavailable for binding

Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Yes, it's normal to not be able to bind Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, AltGr, Super_L/R and Menu
    But why? Surely there's a workaround?
    Arena is full. Team size is currently set to 8.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohn0es View Post
    But why?
    Because Linux is so unpopular that even critical bugs aren't getting fixed and lack of support for 7 keys on the keyboard isn't even critical :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohn0es View Post
    Surely there's a workaround?
    You can try remapping your keys, but I don't know of a way to magically do this only for QL and not break whole desktop / not have to switch between some modes all the time.

If you find a ready-made solution, let me know! I can't wait to switch to OKL; with 5 working buttons under my thumb!

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Oh yeah, and I did some experiments with this in the past. If you turn on developer 1, you'll clearly see what's the problem, like for Caps Lock:
    Code:
    Warning: XLookupString failed on KeySym 65509
    (that's press and release)

So if you look at Quake 3's public GPL release, you can easily add those keysyms without changing anything in the Windows code, just use AUX1 button for Menu and you're good. Patch attached. I am the sole author of those code changes and hereby I pass them into the public domain.

Obviously we can't patch QL like that though, so my next idea was to preload a library that would override XLookupString and return something else for those buttons. But from what I remember, it turned out QL doesn't use it, instead using XLookupKeysym or something. I got bored and didn't pursue this further.
    Attached Files

Junior Member Ike_Broflovski is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Oh yeah, and I did some experiments with this in the past. If you turn on developer 1, you'll clearly see what's the problem, like for Caps Lock:
    Code:
    (that's press and release)

So if you look at Quake 3's public GPL release, you can easily add those keysyms without changing anything in the Windows code, just use AUX1 button for Menu and you're good. Patch attached. I am the sole author of those code changes and hereby I pass them into the public domain.

Obviously we can't patch QL like that though, so my next idea was to preload a library that would override XLookupString and return something else for those buttons. But from what I remember, it turned out QL doesn't use it, instead using XLookupKeysym or something. I got bored and didn't pursue this further.
    Hallo
    I have same problem.
    In Linux I am noob, and could you explain what have I do whith this file?
    linux: fedora 18
    thanks for help

Quote Originally Posted by Ike_Broflovski View Post
    could you explain what have I do whith this file?
    That file was a patch for original source release of Quake 3, just to give the QL staff idea how simple and non-intrusive (meaning: nothing can possibly break) a work-around is.

There's no sources for Quake Live, so we can't just patch it ourselves. The problem has to be fixed by id Software. All you can do is open a support ticket and maybe point the support towards this thread.

Junior Member Ike_Broflovski is on a distinguished road
    Thanks, I'll do this, I mean write the ticket about this problem

+ Reply to Thread