+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quake Live starts up but does'nt load

*Shotman101

Quake Live starts up but does'nt load

Well, I load up Quake Live as usual but when it starts up it shows the Quake Live logo and a button that says "Quit" but I don't want to quit, I want to play. Every time I restart my browser and OS it still does'nt load just that same splash screen.
    BTW: My OS: Windows XP SP3, My Browser: Google Chrome or Opera (both all updated to latest stable versions)

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    That's because it has encountered some error.

If you go to console with CTRL+ALT+~ it will show you what error you're getting.

Most likely this is because you're trying to load a practice game on a map that you don't have.

If you join a server (not practice) with a map you don't have the map should download, also if you're a standard user you should have all the standard maps listed here: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ndard-Map-Pool

Some standard users are reporting that the maps they should have were not downloaded automatically by the website. Known problem, so in the mean time Pika was nice enough to U/L them all here:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...l=1#post227914

*Shotman101
    So how exactly do I download all those maps or fix them? Because I am a new Quake Live member and I do not know how to use lots of codes or commands to get this going.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    No codes needed, just download each zip and unzip them in:

%appdata%\id Software\quakelive\baseq3\

Each map is in a .pk3 file that the game reads.

*Shotman101
    Thank you very much!!! But I have another question, where is this "%appdata%" folder?
    Last edited by Shotman101; 08-16-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask question.

Sorry I didn't realize that path name was rather incomplete. For the pak files it is:

C:\Documents and settings\Username\Application Data\Id software\QuakeLive\baseq3

You will have to show hidden files to see the Application Data directory.

To do that open "My Computer" and go to the tools pull down menu --> folder options --> view tab --> show hidden files and folders

*9thGoonie
    I am having the exact same problem. I have all the maps in my baseq3 folder but it still just stays on the QL logo with the quit button. Any other ideas? Im feening for some QL!

Quote Originally Posted by 9thGoonie View Post
    I am having the exact same problem. I have all the maps in my baseq3 folder but it still just stays on the QL logo with the quit button. Any other ideas? Im feening for some QL!
    Then CTRL+ALT+~ to bring down the console and see what error is shown. If you can't find or it isn't clear, you can condump err.txt and then post it to pastebin for us to read.

*IndiQa
    Thanks to both Lorfa and Pika for clearing this up.
    It seemed odd that there would be a problem and a simple solution was provided.

Good game and excellent community.

Thanks,
    IndiQa

+ Reply to Thread