+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Browser Crash Right After Ad

*Binny

Browser Crash Right After Ad

Issue: When I try to join a server, right after the advertisement finishes displaying, the browser crashes every single time. Pretty much completely preventing me from playing QuakeLive.

Video Card: ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3850
    Browser: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E))

Long story, short: I took a break from QuakeLive. Last time I played QuakeLive was during the Open Beta - game ran fine back then, with 0 issues. Since then I got a new hard drive which I reinstalled a clean copy of the same OS on, but all other hardware (video card, CPU, motherboard, etc) is all the same.

Tested ATI Drivers (With and Without CCC): 10.7, 10.8

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. Willing to try any suggestions to get QuakeLive to work.

Code:
    QuakeLive Version: 0.1.0.382

QuakeLive caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll
    at 001b:690b72e7.

1 processor(s), type 586.
    22% memory in use.
    2048 MBytes physical memory.
    1995 MBytes physical memory free.
    0 MBytes paging file.
    0 MBytes paging file free.
    2048 MBytes user address space.
    1658 MBytes user address space free.

Context:
    EDI:    0x0cfce0b8  ESI: 0x69e80180  EAX:   0x0f30dc18
    EBX:    0x0f31887c  ECX: 0x00000000  EDX:   0x69d9d07c
    EIP:    0x690b72e7  EBP: 0x0f318858  SegCs: 0x0000001b
    EFlags: 0x00210202  ESP: 0x0cfce040  SegSs: 0x00000023

Stack:
    <Removed>

SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: 'C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\id Software\quakelive\home', symOptions: 8726, UserName: 'User Name'
    OS-Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3) 0x100-0x1
    ====================================================================

690B72E7 (atioglxx): (filename not available): atiQDS
    0F33B008 ((module-name not available)): (filename not available): (function-name not available)
    6995B440 (atioglxx): (filename not available): (function-name not available)
    563374C0 ((module-name not available)): (filename not available): (function-name not available)

*Binny

Issue Resolved

Issue Resolved!

Short Version:
    Reinstalled my chip-set drivers fixed the problem. Don't trust hardware driver installs from Windows Update.

Long Version:
    Disabling DirectDraw and Direct3D acceleration in Hardware acceleration let me run QuakeLive. From this I could tell that something was wrong with my DirectX. I checked the the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (aka "dxdiag" in run), and noticed AGP Texture Acceleration under Display showed as "Not Available", when my card should easily support it. Did a quick Google on the issue, people suggested various things, one being update my chip-set driver. Updating my driver fixed the AGP Texture Acceleration issue, and now it properly shows "Enabled". Then, of course, QuakeLive doesn't crash anymore. Yay!

Junior Member Little_Crittle is on a distinguished road
    I have the same problem with quake live crashing right after the add, but when I checked my DirectX it is showing that my AGP is enabled. This is using firefox. When I try to play using internet explorer, I can join the standard account servers, but I can't join my friends premium account games. Punkbuster kicks me with a service communications failure sign. I'm using windows vista. Any ideas?

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    You could try second link on my signature
    bind END "quit'

*thal3s
    I was getting the exact same error with a Toshiba laptop, ATI+Windows 7, 32-bit.

The solution was to update my ATI drivers via the Toshiba support site to 8.4 from 8.3 (which was delivered with Windows 7 upgrade). As soon as I updated the drivers and rebooted, the plugin worked fine under IE (run as admin).

+ Reply to Thread