+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: QL DEFRAG MAPS - Movement Training by Freakkilla

Senior Member Raz0rblade is on a distinguished road Raz0rblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INCubus View Post
    still trying to do a flawless run without a death. Sooo rage inducing, got to checkpoint 12 w/o a fail then my jump didnt register and I fell. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Also thread bump for justice.
    Beginner or advanced way? I cant realy play good atm because left rinfinger disabled but have to say advanced has some realy hard parts. Doing this map flawless with the fastest route is realy hard - because its long and many opportunitys for fails

@op: there is realy big difference between easy/hard sections which is fine but checkpoint 14(the airstrafe-pads) should be harder at easy. Its simply to easy - just hold forward is enough. Also u could put flags directly at start and end of run. Still this is critic on peanuts-level, map is awsome. Except textures on lowest pickmip level :P

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa View Post
    ok, I've got it!

just make the containing folder (baseq3) read only (chmod a-w baseq3) and the file will persist. just remember to make it writeable for updates again.

regards!
    This is a very bad idea!

You noobish ubuntu users, you should enlighten yourself w/ gentoo. The instant quakelive attempts to update and install a new map, .pk3 files or change something that requires a write to the disk you will have locked out the access. Sure you can change permissions again and then switch them back again. Your best bet is to cp the file into a home dir and cp it back as necessary. Honestly linux does not delete files by default and the flash based browser plugin is not going to send messages to syslog so I doubt it is anything you can prevent, most likely the devs are scared of smart linux users and have the plugin delete anything not in a list of acknowledged files verified by a hash blah blah blah, I could be giving them too much credit.
    It's not like they are big files. But changing file permissions on a browser based plugin sounds scary!
    Also another option is run defrag under wine, I wonder if the windows version of the client deletes the file...

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    Awesome job! * SALUTE *

I wish they would take community maps like these and plug em into the regular plugin. I'm too lazy too download and etc etc. Plus these maps are totally muscle memory and trivial compared to real gameplay scenarios so there is very little value to gain after 700 ups. But I do like challenges and find strafe jumping equally as fun as quake deathmatches. But I won't download files not from quakelive and it's 50/50 laziness/security.

Positive feedback I would think your maps could be even cooler if you had targets on the walls in certains stafe lanes that requires you to flick and hit a target w/ a chime sound acknowledging when you do... I play mostly instaCTF and most of my strafes involve constant flicks and judgement of timing to cross a side shot and still maintain an accurate forward velocity on return. I would definitely download your map if I had this.

The checkpoints that weren't about strafing and more about controlled movement and accurate circle jumps, did not appeal to me because there was no way to control and maintain motion. They reminded me of quake2 days where maps were not multiplayer and at certain points it wasn't the strogg that held me back, but the map complexities inbetween that were the present challenge. I loved quake2 but single player fps's have no association or relationship to multiPFPS's.

Again nothing wrong AT ALL. Awesome.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 09-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Senior Member barbarossa is on a distinguished road barbarossa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBlade View Post
    This is a very bad idea!

You noobish ubuntu users, you should enlighten yourself w/ gentoo. The instant quakelive attempts to update and install a new map, .pk3 files or change something that requires a write to the disk you will have locked out the access. Sure you can change permissions again and then switch them back again. Your best bet is to cp the file into a home dir and cp it back as necessary. Honestly linux does not delete files by default and the flash based browser plugin is not going to send messages to syslog so I doubt it is anything you can prevent, most likely the devs are scared of smart linux users and have the plugin delete anything not in a list of acknowledged files verified by a hash blah blah blah, I could be giving them too much credit.
    It's not like they are big files. But changing file permissions on a browser based plugin sounds scary!
    Also another option is run defrag under wine, I wonder if the windows version of the client deletes the file...
    You seem not to know what you are talking about. I am using different linux distros for like 15 years now. making that baseq3 directory (containing the .pk3's) READONLY isn't scary at all neither is making it writeable for an update.
    Even in windows you have to make the file readonly to keep it.
    So, your suggestion is not to use this great map at all?
    Very bad idea!
    Last edited by barbarossa; 08-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    drunk member of drunk clan obviously drunk, lacking any accuracy

Ok did some attempts to finnish map as fast as possible (using vQL physics and beginner route except checkpoint 8). Got 3,45min as fastest time so far with some major misstakes. I think 3min possible. Advanced route still drive me crazy. Should give it a try when hand is healthy again.
    Attached Files

Junior Member fat3 is on a distinguished road
    bad link razorblade.

Works fine for me

Junior Member fat3 is on a distinguished road
    Don't mind me, I am an idiot.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa View Post
    ok, I've got it!

just make the containing folder (baseq3) read only (chmod a-w baseq3) and the file will persist. just remember to make it writeable for updates again.

regards!
    I'll give it a go..Thanks!

@BuzzBlade== You wonky Geek..You really think I'm going to install Gentoo because 1 map does not work?

Get a grip. (It's the only sex that Gentoo users know.)
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Member FrEaKKiLLa is on a distinguished road
    Awesome, I'm glad everyone is getting a kick out of it. I've been busy splicing demos to compile runs of the advanced sections in the main training run and the weapons training map. The videos are here:

Video of advanced paths from the training run, /exec freaktrain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUBMSh3R3g

Video of runs from the weapons training map, /exec freaktrainweaps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUOG4RjSr-s

razorblade, that was a decent run through. It's cool to see that you had a lot of room for speed improvement throughout the course. I agree with the beginner air strafes (check 14) being a little too easy, but I don't know if I'll change it because it would take a new revision to do that. I noticed at the end of the run the text said, "Keep it and go for the advanced strafes!". It should say "Keep it up", I didn't test the beginner section too much because I knew it was easy to complete. Heck until this video that I posted today (thanks for the help fat3), I didn't even know the expert level final run could be completed. I never was able to make the gap in my testing. But otherwise keep up the strafes, I look forward to seeing people compete with your time now, you prompted me to see how fast I can complete it. I'll give it a shot this coming week.

It's awesome to hear people are running it on linux. I haven't installed quake live on my linux box yet, but this gives me hope that my map will work if I do. The instructions for the linux install directory in the readme I pulled from another readme. So I have never personally tested my map in linux, but you guys confirmed it works. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread