+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Grapple for premium?

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1dd View Post
    we will gladly open-source our codebase if it helps at all in the dev work!
    You'd need to use some really permissive license (BSD?) and have all the rights to do so. QL can't import anything from ioquake3 for example as that's licensed on GNU GPL.

SyncError and sponge hang out on IRC so you can try there, otherwise I'd say email Sync as he's the producer.

(But seeing how long it takes to get legal stuff done for community maps, I don't know if they're ready to import community code. I know I'd like to donate a few lines ;))

Member HolyDarkness is on a distinguished road HolyDarkness's Avatar
    Grapple for premium or pro spawned servers.

F1

Junior Member 2DollaHoe is on a distinguished road
    lrctf or actf i'd be happy with either in quake live. cmon guys make it happen

Senior Member DragQueen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    Not a primary/on-hand weapon but something you can use at all times, for example firing rockets while at the same time grappling all over the place.

Youtube says it'll probably be on-hand, sigh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE4WDqt8u3I
    In the Threewave mod they had an option called "fire and grapple switch", I think that's better than a lousy off-hand grapple.

Senior Member INCubus is on a distinguished road INCubus's Avatar
    You can try contacting sponge via the official quakelive IRC channel located at #quakelive on Quakenet.

I've been able to play on servers with the grapple a few times, worked great and added some LOL moments for sure. Can't go on record and say it's coming but from what I've seen so far, IDD the grapple will make it's way officially eventually. Hope this answers your questions.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DragQueen View Post
    In the Threewave mod they had an option called "fire and grapple switch", I think that's better than a lousy off-hand grapple.
    It isn't.

Anyway, if it is badly implemented like it is right now (on-hand, slow grapple speed and pull, aircontrol still not properly done) it'll be just a gimmick that won't attract a single customer.
    Last edited by Lam; 08-27-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    The speed and physics are already decent. What air control do you expect from a grappling hook? It pulls you and that's it, if you could maneuver more while being pulled, there would be no skill in using it.

But of course off-hand +hook is a must for everyone who's coming from a game with that (like me). I can think of some suitable maps for such mode, would be awesome to have this as an option (can be a +use usable like flight is right now - and spawning with flight is a start-a-match option, too).

It's true QL's aircontrol physics are decent (they used to be awful) but not there yet, which is why not a single CPM player has left it to play PQL.

Here's a good example of hook+aircontrol+offhand+decent grapple and pull speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tLIiQAlG1M
    First thing that came up in youtube, and consider it was in 2003 and that it is q2 after all.

Maps will be a problem though. It requires huge maps and hopefully with them made having aircontrol in mind (see cpmctf). All current competitive QL maps are not suitable for an offhand hook (some get close but not really), and I don't see people trying lets say overlord for that (even when it'll be somewhat good)
    Last edited by megaman3; 08-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Also we agree on offhand hook. Can you send them an e-mail to add that option?

edit: grapple commands would be nice too, grapple pull speed, grapple speed and all that. Don't have CPM or q2 l-fire (tourney had some too) installed at work (lol) but they can easily check all of them.
    Last edited by megaman3; 08-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Senior Member DragQueen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    It isn't.

Anyway, if it is badly implemented like it is right now (on-hand, slow grapple speed and pull, aircontrol still not properly done) it'll be just a gimmick that won't attract a single customer.
    Hey most people hate the grapple, you know that? I don't think it'll ever be added, it'll probably just remain as a reminder of the old CTF days. I think they should implement that option which allows you to switch and fire the grapple and return to your previous weapon, I don't want them to remove the weapon and replace it with an annoying beam.

+ Reply to Thread