+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Strogg Invasion Mode

  1. #21
    Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,563
    Mmmm... I'd like it, but I can live without it since you need lots of dev time to make it any good.

  2. #22
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Mmmm... I'd like it, but I can live without it since you need lots of dev time to make it any good.
    Not really. There are bots already in the game, plenty of models to choose from and it's essentially CA or TDM. Without adding boss battles it could be done in a day.

    Also there must be a quake3 mod with exactly that. Just contact the author and he'll probably give everything that's needed for free, just like other people did and offered id even though they didn't consider it.
    Last edited by megaman3; 08-21-2012 at 08:35 AM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    Not really. There are bots already in the game, plenty of models to choose from and it's essentially CA or TDM. Without adding boss battles it could be done in a day
    When I say I'd like it, I'd like it IF it were done properly:
    - custom maps designed for the mode
    - proper enemies (probably using the models from Quake 4) and with proper AI coding - not just a follow the leader style like the current bots have
    - carefully worked out wave compositions so that it incrementally gets more difficult
    - some kind of scoring system
    - an advancement system, maybe spawn with gauntlet and then 'earn' better weapons as you progress through the waves or actually be able to upgrade the current weapon sets


    ... if they just tack it on as a one day job of coding it'll be very poor and very boring but I don't want them to waste time on all the features that *would* make it work.

  4. #24
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Custom maps are not needed in QL's specific case. Would make it better, but with fixed team spawns (near each other) it isn't much of an issue using the current big maps.

    Plenty of models to choose from.

    I don't think they will work on the AI, but maybe they could use CPMAs (if arqon added that when he worked at id). It isn't going to be challenging anyway.

    Scoring system is very easy to do, and so is a simple weapon spawning system and making more and stronger bots spawn each round (up to X to not fill the spawn points causing telefrags or even server crash)


    I'd say a simple "new" mod (because it's a copy of other games and probably existing quake1, 2 and 3 mods) is better than nothing.
    I do get they could use that same time to work on other features (one day), but I don't think they will be added anyway since they weren't in 3 years and counting.
    Last edited by megaman3; 08-21-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  5. #25
    *StrangeEnigma
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    When I say I'd like it, I'd like it IF it were done properly:
    - custom maps designed for the mode
    - proper enemies (probably using the models from Quake 4) and with proper AI coding - not just a follow the leader style like the current bots have
    - carefully worked out wave compositions so that it incrementally gets more difficult
    - some kind of scoring system
    - an advancement system, maybe spawn with gauntlet and then 'earn' better weapons as you progress through the waves or actually be able to upgrade the current weapon sets


    ... if they just tack it on as a one day job of coding it'll be very poor and very boring but I don't want them to waste time on all the features that *would* make it work.
    That's essentially what makes UT2004 Invasion different from TF2's new Mann VS Machine mode.

  6. #26
    Senior Member crogeek is on a distinguished road crogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    somewhere in east Croatia
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike68 View Post
    There's always Serious Sam...
    which is made in Croatia!
    There's no better place than (127.0.0.1) HOME. . .
    ____________________________________________

    QUAKE 2 INSTAGIB WILL STAY FOREVER IN MY MEMORY (1997 - 2002)

  7. #27
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    serious sam 2 was seriously awesome

  8. #28
    *StrangeEnigma
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EroticSumo View Post
    People would rather see UrbanTerror for QuakeLive than a "Strogg Invasion" mode.
    I wouldn't speak for other people if I were you. You don't know for certain WHAT the other people want . All you know is what you yourself would rather see happen.

    Actually, Idk about you, but I've seen quite a few people respond well to this idea.

  9. #29
    *StrangeEnigma
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    serious sam 2 was seriously awesome
    Pretty much EVERY Serious Sam game has been seriously awesome. Even BFE was playable, albeit colorless.

  10. #30
    *StrangeEnigma
    Guest
    I bet, if the devs were willing to put the necessary work into this game mode, it'd be a worthwhile and successful one.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts