+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what this game REALY needs

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    When anticheat comes up I generally say 'What's the point, it'll only be circumvented within a week'

Also it generally seems that the bans aren't fully effective unless the system has changed - ip bans can be routed around and I don't think id are using system hardware ids as well yet.

So you'd reach the constant cycle of:
    ban players through a working anticheat
    -> anticheat gets circumvented, player sidesteps bans
    -> new anticheat needed

Which is a waste of dev time since we only have 2 of them. So, unless bans are made more effective, anticheat isn't worth spending a lot of time on.

And yes I hate cheaters, I report them if I see them but most of them just reappear on a new alias later - I've seen a few players who've outwardly said 'I've been banned for hacking on account XYZ but I don't cheat anymore' and I've reported them, but you have to wonder if they've avoided the ban once why they can't do it a second or third or n-th time.

So better bans please - and then do a simple anticheat and get rid of most of the filth in one swoop rather than entering a recursive loop of coding/anti-coding.

Senior Member Balarick is on a distinguished road
    ¿other languages have different letters too.

Senior Member Balarick is on a distinguished road
    what are function pointers?

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balarick View Post
    what are function pointers?
    Pointers to functions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_pointer

Essentially, the address of a function entry point.

Modern software makes use of address randomization to make life harder for hacks and malware.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Banned lars0n is on a distinguished road
    hats or nothing

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AdictoDigital View Post

¿Why is my responsibility (as a player) to capture evidence against cheaters?

It makes no sense...
    What many noobs don't get, ( I went through it and sent demos on non-cheaters ) is that it is hard to see the skill over years built up behind a bright skinned keel... And it is actually quake nature for whatever reason to see someone that awesome and assume they are cheating.
    So since this is the natural M.O. of quakelive, imagine how many people throw their hands up in the air and say " Teacher teacher, I found a cheater! "

Should they pay someone money to filter through a mailbox of whining noobs?!?!? NO NO NO.

But there are cheaters, and the only way they can take action is through tangible evidence. If your so bent on proving how bad cheating is, prove it. Otherwise your argument is invalid. Plz **** and vote spaceCTF.

Also I do believe cheating could be stopped on many levels by a experienced coder. Can you pay for that w/ advertisements or a player-base that requires arm-twisting to subscribe?

Could you digitally sign all files w/ certificates and check them at a CA somewhere on a quake server? (Think they already do on their own level.) Could you add more security overhead to the whole scene w/o making the ping or netcode and hitboxes less delayed???? Sure, this and many many other ideas could be conjured, go check the employment scene and check how much a coder costs....

If your going to suggest something, keep cheaters out of it, little do you know they suck, they usually lose or get kicked, and they are actually the greatest training you can get, because they know where you are and don't miss. Quake is a ***** like this.

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    What this game really needs now, NOW, NOW that you've enforced your martial-map-law... is a shuffle before the match just like the map vote, because half your community is suffering from alzhiermers and can't remember how to shuffle but can always remember where f3 is, this or an auto-shuffle on pubs. Not doing so is just saying let the stack prevail anytime it can.\

Stopping the ability to change teams to an imbalance, I'm not sure what the console command is but they use it and just hop between teams to spite a server mid game.

I want sexier girl models. They don't have to be naked. Dressed in nades or something.

If so many people think cheating is proliferant enable r_shownormals in spec mode and let them decide for themselves on spot. Not sure what side-effects you would have to worry about, but all the noobs who want proof, there you GO!!!! Keep your demos and email, **** and vote spaceCTF.

I also think the option to have chimes go off when flags are capped or returned vs the delayed voice of the announcer would be nice. There are times where my flag is stolen, and because of the message queue, I might wait 5 seconds before being alerted audibly.

My two cents. :wq

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    needs more ice cream. Anyway, lets debunk some myths:

1. Non buggy hit detection (ppl complain about rail thoughs and lg lags behind)
    Already fixed

2. Fix for negative accel on many mice! I mean come on, even RAPHA is complaining about it
    That's on players side (mouse). It has nothing to do with the particular game, just like routing, and actually in QL it's quite easy to get rid of it by using mouseaccel.

For example, rapha would experience it in all games when using a wmo. And actually it's his fault he experiences it because he's using it at 125hz so only has 1m/s perfect control, when he could put it at 500hz to get 1.50 (miles better) or use a different mouse.

Thing is quake is faster so it's more noticeable. Your suggestion is just like saying it's sc2's fault that people's keyboards get stuck, when it's a design fault most keyboards have and it has nothing to do with games in particular and games can't fix it.

ANTI - CHEAT
    It was implemented a couple months ago (lots of players banned), just not on patch notes for obvious reasons. You can also report people manually, with proofs.

Also most cases of "cheating" are actually just better players, which is obvious because QL is essentially q3, a game that even had professionals for more 10 years. Just by looking at your account I can tell there's plenty of room to improve.
    Q3/QL offers more possibilities of stomping new players because of the sheer nature of the game (having more control of your actions than all other fps games while also being more complex and faster).

Mousesens drop is negative accel , it gets slower
    Already explained by lorfa. You are complaining about negative accel without knowing what it is and what causes it.
    Last edited by megaman3; 08-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Junior Member kastor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    needs more ice cream. Anyway, lets debunk some myths:

Already fixed

That's on players side (mouse). It has nothing to do with the particular game, just like routing, and actually in QL it's quite easy to get rid of it by using mouseaccel.

For example, rapha would experience it in all games when using a wmo. And actually it's his fault he experiences it because he's using it at 125hz so only has 1m/s perfect control, when he could put it at 500hz to get 1.50 (miles better) or use a different mouse.

Thing is quake is faster so it's more noticeable. Your suggestion is just like saying it's sc2's fault that people's keyboards get stuck, when it's a design fault most keyboards have and it has nothing to do with games in particular and games can't fix it.

It was implemented a couple months ago (lots of players banned), just not on patch notes for obvious reasons. You can also report people manually, with proofs.

Also most cases of "cheating" are actually just better players, which is obvious because QL is essentially q3, a game that even had professionals for more 10 years. Just by looking at your account I can tell there's plenty of room to improve.
    Q3/QL offers more possibilities of stomping new players because of the sheer nature of the game (having more control of your actions than all other fps games while also being more complex and faster).

Already explained by lorfa. You are complaining about negative accel without knowing what it is and what causes it.

Already fixed ?! erm no.....

And dude I know all that **** about mouse problems and how to fix em with overclocking.
    Like the WMO or IE that have problems with buffering and cause neg accel on 125 hz.

And I am not one of them noobs that playes against pros and thinks "Oh they must be cheatin"
    I am not dumb.
    BUT there are ppl who cheat. Even in leagues like House of quake clans got kicked cos ppl cheated.
    I myselft reported like 7 cheaters (mostly wall hack) that got banned.

And also I know what neg accel is. I am no native speaker so I have some trouble
    sometimes to express myself correct in english.

Never the less, I think instead of more maps that dont get played or more game modes that
    wont be played neither, we could need some anti-cheat, and better hit detection.

Cos they render the model at one place, and tell u to shot a lil behind like with LG.

Junior Member kastor is on a distinguished road
    and regarding my profile, yes there is room for improvement, no doubt.
    I started with QL and never really played q3.

BUT they 1st months I just ran around an gauntlet ppl

Hence 5,867 gauntlet frags....

+ Reply to Thread