Thread: Open your eyes - support quake live - purchase premium /pro or lose it

*w4lking_de4d
    "nice maps etc too! "

you think? they're effing terrible...

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by w4lking_de4d View Post
    "nice maps etc too! "

you think? they're effing terrible...
    How would you know? You're tier 1 Clan Arena and you play Campgrounds and Almost lost about 70% of your games.

Junior Member am0k_357 is on a distinguished road
    I for one welcome our latest patch overlords.

Just upgraded from prem to pro.

Banned dmza is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    How would you know? You're tier 1 Clan Arena and you play Campgrounds and Almost lost about 70% of your games.
    whats wrong with him liking a few specific maps? sounds like youre trying to force your opinion on him and judging him for it.

Junior Member rbarreira is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dmza View Post
    whats wrong with him liking a few specific maps? sounds like youre trying to force your opinion on him and judging him for it.
    +1

It's not anyone's business here (or even at id software) to judge people for the way they like to play the game. It's not like Quake Live is the only shooter where a few maps dominate...

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmza View Post
    What he said was that the other maps were garbage. However, he's barely played any of the other maps. Thus, I'm not forcing my opinion on them at all, but I'm rather just saying that they should try the other maps before they discredit them.

~Open your eyes I see...Your eyes are open...Wear no disguise for me...Come into the open~

Junior Member Endosmok is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    It appears virtually every time ID makes a fairly significant change such as the recent update, many choose to let their frustrations loose in the form of irrational bickering and disagreement.

At this juncture in the life of Quake, it is undoubtedly coming to a swift conclusion if the community doesn't choose to support the game they cherish so much. Has anyone stopped to think for a moment that perhaps ID is invoking these recent changes such as call-voting because the community isn't doing its part in contributing to the survival of this game? More specifically, the community is not doing their part in contributing their dime to ensure Quake Live has the funds to continue operations?

ID does not have an endless pit of resources where they can call upon millions of dollars off their secret virtual money-tree, something that may surprise many of you. Quake Live is a business, and it cannot continue to run if it loses money for the company. I'm astounded that Quake is alive and kicking given its absurd unforeseen longevity. To my understanding, Quake Live is indeed a business failure which clearly and undeniably suggest this business venture is not turning a profit.

This could possibly be ID's last push, or a hail mary, to turn Quake Live into a profitible business (Hell, maybe even break even) that they can justify its continued operation. This means the community, its players, can continue strafing around while rocket jumping w/ wreckless abandon and joy. Does anyone understand this? It seems we prefer to ***** & moan while demanding that we should receive everything for free.

Support your game and contribute, or potentially lose the game in its entirety. You may accomplish this by purchasing premium. Last time I checked, this costs around $20. Only $20 to purchase premium for a years worth of service??? Why is this even a discussion? Why aren't we all premium players, yet alone PRO subscribed players?

The community has a choice. Purchase a subscription, or lose the game. I love this game, but I wouldn't keep it around if it were lightening my wallet.

-T
    Why offer it for free to begin?

You can't sit here and use that argument when it is offered for free and has been since its inception. It lacks logic and I cringe at the thought of how my tax dollars were spent for towards your education (or lack of in this case).

ID runs the same business practice as many do these days. Free (with ad support) and Pay for use. Whether I am paying with money or my time to watch ads, does not mean one has to keep their mouth closed without complaining when changes are disliked. In the end, the customer is always king. If the changes work for them (which based on the feedback here I doubt) then good for them.

They can easily make it 'subscriber only' as you suggest but they don't... because they will lose revenue. It's that simple. They can't risk that move.

I know I have played much less since the change and I consider myself somewhat addicted to the game. I am sure it's the same for many others as well.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Endosmok View Post

You can't sit here and use that argument when it is offered for free and has been since its inception.
    Because they hoped ad revenues would cover all the costs and leave them running QL at a profit. It's almost 5 years to the day that ID announced QL (or QuakeZero as it was then called) and presumably it took a little while to put the business plan together before then. Back in that dim and distant past, ad revenue was seen as THE way to run an internet business, whether it's Search, Social Networking or Gaming.

Things just haven't worked out that way, unfortunately. My guess is that if they'd known then what they know now, ID wouldn't have given away so much for free in the Open Beta.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member TSEliot is on a distinguished road TSEliot's Avatar
    they tried to do something awesome for everyone, then they realized they are a business and can't support their own generosity, so they are now trying to keep the thing we love alive any way they know how

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar

You can't sit here and use that argument when it is offered for free and has been since its inception. It lacks logic and I cringe at the thought of how my tax dollars were spent for towards your education (or lack of in this case).

ID runs the same business practice as many do these days. Free (with ad support) and Pay for use. Whether I am paying with money or my time to watch ads, does not mean one has to keep their mouth closed without complaining when changes are disliked. In the end, the customer is always king. If the changes work for them (which based on the feedback here I doubt) then good for them.

They can easily make it 'subscriber only' as you suggest but they don't... because they will lose revenue. It's that simple. They can't risk that move.

I know I have played much less since the change and I consider myself somewhat addicted to the game. I am sure it's the same for many others as well.
    Well put, one of the few smart posts on this topic.

+rep for the education insult, haven't heard that one before.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen."

+ Reply to Thread