+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Open your eyes - support quake live - purchase premium /pro or lose it

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRezs View Post
    The annoying part is that more and more advertising is getting into the game even extra images today while in spec and I'm paying, I don't want the adverts blocking my view and getting in the way, why don't the freebie players just get given the ads and the rest just left to play without them ? That's how it was when i started playing.
    you don't like the AWESOME ads that are right now? http://i.imgur.com/Bt4mN.jpg

this sunday, schedule with local times in http://esreality.com/post/2359837/fa...t-and-details/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRezs View Post
    The annoying part is that more and more advertising is getting into the game even extra images today while in spec and I'm paying, I don't want the adverts blocking my view and getting in the way, why don't the freebie players just get given the ads and the rest just left to play without them ? That's how it was when i started playing.
    You're paying to remove the pre-game ads, not the in-game ads.
    I for one like the in-game ads. Without them, I'd never have thought to watch The Walking Dead ^^

Junior Member Hehlol is on a distinguished road
    So you gave them what, 50 instead of 25 bucks? What do you think $50 does for id?

Member dec is on a distinguished road
    The success of any game requires rapid content delivery. It used to be that games were released and the SDK for the game was also released and the community made new content. I'll call these the good ole days.

Then companies decided that more money could be made by releasing content updates by releasing sequels to the game.

Then companies decided that even more money could be made by releasing DLC for each sequel.

QuakeLive's development team can't do any of these because they do not have backing from the parent corp. They can't release user made content for fear of lawsuits. They can't release sequels because the franchise has been left for dead since Q4's poor showing and Elder Scrolls is the money maker now. They can't do rapid release DLC because there is no funding for more developers. They only have time for maintenance of the existing product and minor feature releases.

The problem is that without rapid content release a game will die. The subscription model is only a way to milk money from the people that remain and to keep the game up and running. The problem is catch 22, most people don't want to sub for a game that doesn't appear to be growing.

*KiteX3
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    You're paying to remove the pre-game ads, not the in-game ads.
    I for one like the in-game ads. Without them, I'd never have thought to watch The Walking Dead ^^
    I agree. The in-game ads never were a bother, really. Heck, the painlessness of the advertising system back in Beta was what drew me to Quake Live in the first place. On the other hand, I didn't pay for that either.

If I were to pay for a subscription (I won't, because I no longer play because I don't see a bright future for Quake Live, due to id's unwise business practices), I would still rather pay the very affordable prices they offer now than pay more just to be rid of the in-game ads. If anything, I think(thought) they contribute(d) to a nice e-sports atmosphere.

(Oh, and the Premium/Pro tokens are a major improvement, IMHO.)

Junior Member LojacEvil74 is on a distinguished road
    I have pro now and it is running out after xmas...but is it worth renewing will there be a game to play in the next 6mths,will id do something about the slumming and the hackers...I love quake,best game ever IMHO,but the last 3 mths has just been a slumming fest,alt account after alt account very few pro servers running ..so I will wait and see...

Junior Member LojacEvil74 is on a distinguished road
    agree about the skill matchung bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by qubert View Post
    Are you serious?

The skillmatching system in this game is by far the worst i've seen for any game ever. New players are put in tier 3 and can expect to play top players playing down in their first game on quake live. If this game didn't advertise skillmatching and kept things like they were in q3 then this wouldnt matter, but they are advertising this game as such in hopes it would become a popular e-sport.

Member Hollowtips is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LojacEvil74 View Post
    agree about the skill matchung bit.

Originally Posted by qubert
    Are you serious?

The skillmatching system in this game is by far the worst i've seen for any game ever. New players are put in tier 3 and can expect to play top players playing down in their first game on quake live. If this game didn't advertise skillmatching and kept things like they were in q3 then this wouldnt matter, but they are advertising this game as such in hopes it would become a popular e-sport.
    Ive played for less than a month. Before i ever played a single game, i watched a couple videos of some good players and what they do. Then i got a basic config from a friend who played and ran a few practice games to figure out what worked best for me, and to get a feel for the games speed. Ive bounced up and down a bit, and even got frustrated a few times playing against far better competition.

Im not there yet, and i still make stupid mistakes that cost me against more experienced players, and i dont know the maps well, but every day it gets a little easier. Now i find myself finishing in the upper half of the scoreboards instead of the lower half, and im much better at holding my own. (I still suck at CA, but that is due more to the format, and the occasional unlucky quick death that breaks up my rhythm.) Yes skillmatching has its flaws, and they are more apparent because the NA scene has so few players, but if youre that bad, youre going to drop down pretty quickly. The rest of it depends on the players attitude.

That being said, there should be 5 tiers, because the top of the 4th tier can absolutely destroy everyone else. When a guy comes in a game, and goes 50-3 and the next highest score is 22-24, there is definitely a problem. With a 5th tier, the super stars can play against each other, and those guys are less likely to flip flop between tiers anyways because of their skill. This should keep the artificial high/low that some players experience down to a minimum.
    Last edited by Hollowtips; 12-16-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
    Can someone point me to the skill vendor?

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road
    I tried my bit to "promote" QL if you can call ti that.
    In the past I have made a few threads on various forums detailing Quake live and linking to all the community made programs QLDT, QL Prism, and of course the user guides that the community has collaborated on. At first it drums up some interest peoepl asking qustions and so on then and maybe a few create an account but they soon stop playing because they find it too hard. I deleted all the inactive accounts that were on my friends list.
    The best part of Quake is also its Achilles' heel.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.

*robzilla
    I've been dieing to pay for QL since the day i started playing it.
    But seeing as i dont own a creditcard and this site doesnt support paypal. There is no way for me to pay.
    Noone i know owns a creditcard that can pay for me, so for people like me... its basically impossible to pay, eventough i want to.

And i completely agree about the skill system.
    We need a 5th tier.
    Some of the people in tier 4 are pretty bad (I'm not saying im a legendary pro, dont misunderstand).

ps: Dont judge me by my scores etc, havent played in 3 months (picked it up again 3 days ago) and before that i didnt play a whole lot.

+ Reply to Thread