+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Thread: QLPP13 Site Update - July 24, 2012

Junior Member dSaster is on a distinguished road
    Ahh finaly I found the right thread to post my mind about the latest map rotation and standart pool update.
    As I see the most are feeling the same as me.
    ID forces people to play maps they dont like or dont know or what eve to advertice the premium/pro advantages.
    But since that update I didnt had a regular pub TDM on Campgrounds or Hidden like im used to play after work.
    Reason might be there are less players or the servers are blocked due forced maps.
    In gernerel it seems DEUL and TDM activities went down. Hard to find a populated server.

Total uncool. Please find a different way to advertice the premium and pro accounts.
    I joined the premium mainly to avoid the ads before each match :O

I just got the idea about a pickup board / lobby were players can set there prefered gamemode(s), maps and so on and than you can join each other to a free server.
    Aspecially for duellers this would be a very good option to find an oppenent out of a hughe list of players.
    Of cause this has to be worked out in detail but this would be an improvement for me to find (matches?) no! -> players!!!
    Most DUElS are allready in progress. Comparing each matchtimer if its maybe time to join -> OH both disconnected UPS .... Oh hey we are friends- we whant to play alone!! **** off
    Many many more storys.

Please get it done!

btw. is there any official statement after 44 pages of madnes?
    Last edited by dSaster; 08-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Senior Member SergeantRock44 is an unknown quantity at this point SergeantRock44's Avatar
    It's not hard to figure out, people...

ID looked at the most popular maps for all gametypes that were being played on the free, public servers, and removed them completely. These were the servers and maps that had the most player activity on them.

NO ONE in their right mind, who has a "product" to sell, does such things to their customer base in such a ham-handed fashion as ID did here. There can only be one of two reasons: either they are simply stupid and TOTALLY incompetent as marketers of a product, or they want the playerbase/customer base TO GO AWAY...

Think about it: they've already been offering the premium maps as weekend "samplers" for over a year now. It hasn't gotten them more premium subs, and it hasn't kept those who DO sub on the premium servers away from the standard servers. They also haven't been introducing new maps during any of this time: the so-called "premium" maps are years and years old, just like the standard (free) maps.

So all ID has really ever offered it's player base, is 1) play on old maps against other people for free, or 2) play on similar old maps against no one, and pay $$ to do it. Who in their right mind would pick #2??

So for what ID is doing now, can't possibly be because they think it will generate new business. The other way didn't work either, and this new scheme is only a harsher, less customer-friendly version of that.

So either the people behind this are simply inept at what they think they are doing, or they have an agenda to remove the player-base from QL, so they can shut it down. I guess they think this is a better method PR-wise than simply saying, "sorry folks, but tomorrow we're closing QL forever, please go find something else to play", but for the life of me I can't see why....

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantRock44 View Post
    ID looked at the most popular maps for all gametypes that were being played on the free, public servers, and removed them completely.
    Poor troll attempt since Campgrounds and Space CTF are still standard, hehe.

In my preferred gametype, 2 popular standard maps were replaced with 2 popular premium maps which are now getting good playtime.

Quote Originally Posted by dSaster View Post
    But since that update I didnt had a regular pub TDM on Campgrounds or Hidden like im used to play after work.
    Reason might be there are less players or the servers are blocked due forced maps.
    Yesterday I've spawned a standard pub cycling the 3 generally accepted maps. Didn't even play on it, but it has survived 9 hours of being constantly full. The only thing that changed is what 3 maps people play over and over again :)

Yeah, the map pool used by standard servers is too large and treats TDM as a single mode while 2v2 and 4v4 are completely different (so you can get like Furious Heights, Solid and something unplayable in a 4v4 post-game voting). And if people leave without voting, it changes to a map that nobody wants to play. Would be nice if servers randomly switched map after let's say 15 minutes of staying empty.

All of that is of course fixed by spawning standard servers which we do, but the spawners aren't always around / aware what players are searching for.

Senior Member DragQueen is on a distinguished road
    The only positive thing that is going to happen with this map pool feature is the removal of Campgrounds.

Junior Member Overactive is on a distinguished road
    Canceled my subscription. I remember checking the activity graph on qlranks.com and it was down to half in duel compared to before the patch. Now the graph is gone, conspiracy?

However I'm too tired of ranting at ID. I give up, GGs BB. Cya in Reborn-painkiller-quake4-doom4-whatevergamewillfailnext.

Junior Member dSaster is on a distinguished road
    Yea it seems players leaving... very sad.

ID end this!!! Or I realy need to return to Q3. Maybe a realy interesting step.
    How is about population on Q3 1.32 servers? Anyone knows?

*Ztalin
    I just jumped around some godawful map for like half an hour without anyone wanting to join.
    By taking away the ability to vote in maps people acutally want to play and placing some arbitrary map rotation and very limited voting options it has become very difficult to get people to join in and start a match.
    Usually when a server was empty one could just vote in DM6 (Campgrounds) and peeps would join in and get the game started..... now its just empty servers with horrible maps and no way to vote them off if you are alone there .. the forfeit trick does only work with 2 or more players.
    Whoever came up with this new voting system and map rotation should be fired.

Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztalin View Post
    Usually when a server was empty one could just vote in DM6 (Campgrounds)
    lol fail...

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dSaster View Post
    Yea it seems players leaving... very sad.

ID end this!!! Or I realy need to return to Q3. Maybe a realy interesting step.
    How is about population on Q3 1.32 servers? Anyone knows?

Very Dead - you'll find more in 1.16 but typically players only get on servers when a match is arranged via xfire or something.
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztalin View Post
    Usually when a server was empty one could just vote
    How does one vote when there are none in the server?

+ Reply to Thread