+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: influx of new players?

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar

influx of new players?

I just got off a 1-flag sampler 3v3 game where, no kidding, 3 of them are brand new as of yesterday. 1 hadn't played since 10 months ago. And the other was less than a month old.

And I've been in some CA games recently where we've had to explain the rules to new players.

Is this a summer influx? Many appear attracted to the sampler games, though idk why. How do we keep these guys around?
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Being nice and encouraging?

Not the strongest attributes of our community
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Junior Member negke is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    Many appear attracted to the sampler games, though idk why.
    Probably because they are usually displayed at the top of the list and new players just join the first available match.
    The sampler servers seem to have a surprisingly varied mix of players in every game - from absolute beginners to stat-farming pros. Plus the matches are over quickly which may keep the frustration level low.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    As a new member of the community, I can point out the necessity of showing understanding for newbies' mistakes. That's most important. Then, some advice would be just great. Especially in modes other than FFA. Me, for example have interest in Duels. I started FFA to have a feel of the game, and then I moved onto watching pros play (latest Dream hack). But to be honest, I do not have 6 hours a day to practice, I don't even sometimes have 10 minutes per day and still I don't want to be "aim dummy" So I am deeply grateful for those people, who spent some time to help me out in several situations.
    Every community flourishes when newcomers feel that they are welcome, and not fragged with 'gotcha *****' all the time.
    Apologies for my English, it is not native + this comes from my iPhone
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    you'll certainly like duel. All russians do.

*Earthsea
    I saw a new player in a TDM server late last night. It was awesome.

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    Being nice and encouraging?

Not the strongest attributes of our community
    Yeah, they should avoid uptiering, especially T4 CA/CTF games.. that can be brutal.
    But if they're coming from CS or LoL, they'll probably be immune to flaming... [and let's just hope they don't find the chat key. ]

Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    you'll certainly like duel. All russians do.
    rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Call_Me_Ishmael View Post
    I saw a new player in a TDM server late last night. It was awesome.
    I can imagine... free kills for whoever finds him first. I love that, it's even better than killing AFK guys (no guilt), at least they're fighting back (well, trying to).

*RumTzais
    thats awesome
    we should promote quake ourselves

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I'm all for being encouraging, but how do we help guys who stand still in the corner and slowly rotate through their weapons with the mouse wheel? They definitely get bashed in CA because others can spec them and see how new (bad) they are. In unranked matches, we all kind of know what we're getting in to.

I don't usually have the time to sit with anyone on a separate server and go through the basics. Suggesting they go play bots for a while doesn't usually go over well either -- they want to play with humans.

Does anyone have a short URL we could point total noobs to from in-game chat?

*function9
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    you'll certainly like ZTN. All russians do.
    Fixed that for you.

+ Reply to Thread