+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Video Lag/Delay on Windows 7 x64 & AMD HD Radeon 7850 GFX - Help

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Good luck!
    Only time i've had massive DPC problems when my gfx card was dying my old machine 3 years back, and I think on that system it was only happening because the rest of it was dying too! :/
    I didn't debug it further as it was RAMBUS and seriously not worth getting parts to test, lol.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 07-15-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Success! After getting the wrong bios version I found the correct one. I forget how many versions exist for the same motherboard :-/ Anyways I flashed the correct one and my DPC issue is gone! Here's my new screenshot:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/674/dplcat2.jpg

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    awesome, glad to hear it.

btw if anyone has similar problems, LatencyMon (link below) helps you track down the actual cause unlike DPC Latency Checker which is no more useful than the DPC reports in Process Explorer.

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
    Last edited by Yakumo; 07-15-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post

btw if anyone has similar problems, LatencyMon (link below) helps you track down the actual cause unlike DPC Latency Checker which is no more useful than the DPC reports in Process Explorer.

Cool! Unfortunately is Vista or higher only, I'm on XP.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Ok.. I found a forum where someone posted a screenshot with the _exact_ pattern of spikes that I have.

They are saying that a bios update will fix it. As far as I know I have never flashed this bios so that's a good sign that an update will fix the issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a usb stick :-/ So as soon as I get one or find some other method to flash the bios I will try it.

I forgot to mention that I flashed my bios to its most current version as well which improved many things. My DPC latency at this point is solid @ 6-35us. I also found an interesting APP called 'Timer Resolution.' It adjusts your CPU timing when you launch the APP and for some people, it significantly lowers your DPC. In the app, there's a button that says 'maximum,' which adjusts your CPU timing for best possible latency. There's also a button that says 'default,' which sets it to just that.

I tested my DPC latency using this app and it does impact the latency, interestingly enough. My DPC latency is great at this point, but maybe give it a shot for test purposes, google it. It requires no installation, just execution (Don't worry, doesn't make any registry or permanent system changes).

-T

Success! After getting the wrong bios version I found the correct one. I forget how many versions exist for the same motherboard :-/ Anyways I flashed the correct one and my DPC issue is gone! Here's my new screenshot:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/674/dplcat2.jpg
    I probably should have read all the posts before replying to my previous one! That's awesome, your DPC Latency is now better than mine... Why do you have to one-up me, Lorfa??

Cool to see you resolve your unknown 'DPC Latency' issue when you never had a problem to begin with!

I looked for c3/c6 in my bios but I didn't see it.
    This is interesting, because I just went back into my BIOS to check my memory timings and I couldn't find my c3/c6 settings either. I know they were there because I disabled them yesterday, but once I did, they have mysteriously disappeared... I wonder if this is something to be concerned about... perhaps by disabling other settings, c3/c6 was taken out in consequence. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post

Yakumo,

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out.

-T
    Last edited by c3; 07-15-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Timer Resolution (Improve DPC Latency APP)

I found an APP called Timer's Resolution, and it's designed to lower your DPC latency by merely executing it.

The APP has two settings: Default & Maximum

This app alters your CPU timings from the default setting to the maximum setting which can be used for test purposes or to lower your DPC latency while you are within an application/game that requires low latency. It's very light and doesn't take any significant system resources to run, you can just keep it open.

Check below for an excerpt I took from this 'Gaming Performance Tweaks Guide.'

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...ce-tweaks.html

Excerpt:

"Maximize your Windows timer resolution with Timer Resolution (free v1.2 work for Vista & Win7 too).
    Just keeping this little application open in the background will reduce DPC latency, improve responsiveness.

Increases system responsiveness and helps to prevents system stalls with Process Lasso. Gaming Mode highly recommended!

Alternatively you can manually edit and save processes priority with Prio - Process Priority Saver and boost foreground application AboveNormal with TopWinPrio."

Download Timer's Resolution here (Works w/ XP, Vista, 7):

http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Download PRIO here:

http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

Download TopWinPrio here:

http://www.lunaworx.net/2010/05/19/luna/topwinprio/

Also, if you are one of those looking to optimize/improve their system's gaming performance, check out this guide which I'll post again. Very informative and incredibly helpful for QuakeLive.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...ce-tweaks.html

I'll create a new thread and cut & paste the whole guide into the Quake Live forum so it's more easily accessible for you QLive addicts.

-T

I tried timer resolution actually, but I only had the free version which says it will only help you to get under 1 ms. The pay version is supposed to get you to under 500 us. Probably now I just don't need it.

Problem is that under load I am over 1000 us, with a fluctuation between 700 and 1100. Timer resolution has no effect on this.

Maybe I could disable CPU halt/EIST again, I re-enabled them after the bios update.

Maybe these kinds of values are normal under load, not sure.
    Last edited by Lorfa; 07-15-2012 at 08:30 PM.

I tried timer resolution actually, but I only had the free version which says it will only help you to get under 1 ms. The pay version is supposed to get you to under 500 us. Probably now I just don't need it.

Problem is that under load I am over 1000 us, with a fluctuation between 700 and 1100. Timer resolution has no effect on this.

Maybe I could disable CPU halt/EIST again, I re-enabled them after the bios update.

Maybe these kinds of values are normal under load, not sure.
    For most people, going up to 1000us is no problem at all. It really depends what you're using your system for. If you needed to record studio quality audio, then up to 1000us is unacceptable and you would experience cracking, popping and drop-offs. You generally want it under 500us depending on need. Being that I'm using an LCD, when my latency > 200us (Happens with EIST enabled for me)... I notice an incredibly annoying delay that ruins the whole game for me... HPET enabled is even worse.

From what I researched, 'CPU halt/EIST,' along with HPET are top culprits for destroying DPC latency. Try it out?

On a side note, gigabyte just released their new UEFI Bios for my motherboard the other day so I hope this will resolve some of my issues.

-T

Lorfa,

Turns out my issue came back, slightly. 3-days ago when I first disabled HPET, CPU Halt/EIST, the problem was completely resolved and I thought was the end of 'Input lag' frustrations, but something changed to the point where I can once again notice a slight delay. Luckily, it's not as bad as it was before, but it's noticeable enough to cause issues.

My DPC latency is back up to the 100-200s, and goes down to the 30s from time to time, but it's not consistent. I'm starting to think this has to do with the CPU (Perhaps even how power is being distributed).

A piece of information that I left out when first explaining my problem comes to mind. When I was experiencing horrendous input lag (delay), during a loaded server (Say, 10+ ppl), the gameplay would slightly chop and slowdown during big fights... almost as if the CPU couldn't handle all the madness. It eerily resembled what a sudden drop in frame rate would feel like, yet my frame yet held steady at 120. My frames NEVER drop, in any situation, yet it feels like frames come in slower at times, or take longer to process.

I deal with this same issue on two separate video cards: EVGA 550 TI and Sapphire HD 7850. This must be system related, right? The odds of two completely different video driver sets causing the same issue suggests anything but the video cards. I combated this by ensuring 'GPU Scaling' is disabled even though I despise 16x9 and your other typical video tweaks.

What the EFF?

-T

+ Reply to Thread