+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Game Video Lag/Delay on Windows 7 x64 & AMD HD Radeon 7850 GFX - Help

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys. Yep, looks like from what Pika pointed out it's normal behavior.

Question for C3: do you normally run your computer with UAC on? I have Win 7 64bit Pro with UAC turned on. I'm wondering if this has something to do with some of my troubles.

Also, I tracked down what seems to be another source of lag on my system. I had tweaked some of my Fire Fox network settings via the about:config menu a while back and had some none-default settings. I started wondering if FireFox was not keeping extra connections running in the background as I played. The latency issue did seem to get better after resetting all network. settings to default under about:config.

Final significant source of lag seems to be coming from setpoint drivers. Just bought a Razer Abyssus. Will be making some comparisons once it gets here.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    I've never ran uac as I find it to be useless. If I open a file called virus.exe myself thats my own fault. I disable alot of my services anyway. jiggly try using qlprism or chrome to run ql.

you should disable these though
    Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    NetTcpPortSharing

I could link alot more but here is a link to all of win 7 services and what they do. I followed most of the tweaked settings
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglyboobs View Post
    Thanks guys. Yep, looks like from what Pika pointed out it's normal behavior.

Question for C3: do you normally run your computer with UAC on? I have Win 7 64bit Pro with UAC turned on. I'm wondering if this has something to do with some of my troubles.

Also, I tracked down what seems to be another source of lag on my system. I had tweaked some of my Fire Fox network settings via the about:config menu a while back and had some none-default settings. I started wondering if FireFox was not keeping extra connections running in the background as I played. The latency issue did seem to get better after resetting all network. settings to default under about:config.

Final significant source of lag seems to be coming from setpoint drivers. Just bought a Razer Abyssus. Will be making some comparisons once it gets here.
    Regarding UAC, I agree w/ Adderall. I've always had UAC turned off because it causes more problems than it resolves... UAC is also known to cause issues w/ running network processes because every time something is executed, UAC prompts you for permission. Turn that sucker off.

Also, good move on the mouse. I use the aby as well.... top-notch sensor and it is driverless as you already know.

Keep us updated on what you find regarding browser (firefox) tweaking... I haven't looked too much into tweaking my browser for gaming performance.

Senior Member 1337Hax0rr is on a distinguished road
    You're never going to fix this. Any "fix" you come up with will be placebo, it will start happening again sooner or later. There's a 180 page thread on the CS steam forums with the same issue, nobody has been able to fix it. I personally think it might be my internet. I have 50 ping yet it feels like 100 ping+. However, on LAN i can hit things perfectly. I used to be pretty decent at competitive games but I have just decided to quit everything.

Edit: Turning off HPET seems to fix the "lag". I can actually hit rockets but due to my theory, it's just placebo. It'll begin to suck again.
    Last edited by 1337Hax0rr; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Hax0rr View Post
    You're never going to fix this. Any "fix" you come up with will be placebo, it will start happening again sooner or later. There's a 180 page thread on the CS steam forums with the same issue, nobody has been able to fix it. I personally think it might be my internet. I have 50 ping yet it feels like 100 ping+. However, on LAN i can hit things perfectly. I used to be pretty decent at competitive games but I have just decided to quit everything.

Edit: Turning off HPET seems to fix the "lag". I can actually hit rockets but due to my theory, it's just placebo. It'll begin to suck again.
    This whole 'placebo' thing is baseless and nonsense.

The fact remains that when you turn off things such as 'HPET,' it does significantly improve the responsiveness of your system, along w/ Quake Live performance. This isn't based on opinion, it's based on objective conclusions from actual system tests. It's like saying 'Input Lag' is a placebo, when everyone at this point should understand its prevalence and negative impact on gaming.

Member Scorpwolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    Wow.

For anyone interested, I finally found a solution to the problem I was experiencing. Glad to know I'm not crazy .

I had a feeling my problem was related to system services or potentially even my BIOS settings. Turns out, my BIOS settings proved to be the culprit as I had certain settings that I enabled (Primarily because I was running a hackintosh on my system for some time which required specific BIOS settings enabled) that were absolutely destroying both my audio and video latency, or more specifically, DPC latency. From what I understand this is partially responsible for how the audio/video data flows, which has a pretty significant impact on input lag.

Go into your BIOS and make sure these settings are DISABLED:

1) High Precision Event Timer (HPET) <-- DISABLE

2) CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), EIST (Speedstep) & Cool n' Quiet <-- DISABLE

3) C3/C6 <--- Disable (This one isn't necessary, but I disabled it anyways as it lowers the power to your CPU if it's idle)

4) If you have Hyper-threading, DISABLE that as well. I have an i5-2500k, so I don't have to worry about this one.

If you are experiencing issues as the ones posted in this forum, I suggest you also download a DPC Latency Checker (Google it), and see if your system is putting out acceptable rates. If it's incredibly high, you have some system related services or BIOS settings dramatically increasing your DPC latency, which in turns increases your VIDEO and AUDIO latency <--- LAG. Do some research on this subject, you'll find a lot of good information.

I found a great post regarding 'Gaming Performance Tweaks,' where I found the above suggestions. Check it out and check to see if you have any of those settings enabled. You could be lagging before you ever reach the Internet.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...ce-tweaks.html

Good luck!

-T

Thanks for this..i was totally unaware of DPC latency and all that stuff...i tried your suggestions and i did see some improvement on my pc but unfortuantely it still didn't fix my lag issues in QL...i too have similar porblem with some kind of input lag and choppiness in movement that just makes the game plays like total **** most of the times..and i've been trying to fix it for almost 2 years now and still haven't really figured it out yet..i tried so many things & diffrenet settings it would probably take pages to list them, i also got a new video card, ram and 120 hz monitor..they helped a bit but none of that solved the main problem..it just lags randomly and whenever i think it's fixed the next day or the next game it gets all laggy and choppy again..i only play insta and basically my acurracy will go from the 40's to the 20's when it starts to lag..

Anyways..i do believe i finally found what the probelm is but i have no clue on how to actually fix it..it seems there's a probelm with the Gigabyte motherboards from what i read because mine is too..i have the (GA-EP45-UD3P)..I tried updating the BIOS but that didn't help either..basically when i tried the DPC latency checker it seemed like i was able to lower it to about 20 or so but it spikes again to 100 after a bit..i also get that message telling me that "this pc should be able to handle real time streaming.."

So based on DPC latency checker everything seems fine but then i ran (LatencyMon) and i was getting all kinds of problems..i keep getting this message:

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

I disabled UAC and switched to high performance in the power managment settings and disabled everything you said in the BIOS..updated the BIOS but i still get that message..
    I ended up reinstalling windows 7 64 again and before i run the automatic update i ran LatencyMon and had the same thing..

when i go to the drivers tab i see that there are certain drivers with high ISR and DPC count..those include:

Hardware Abstration Layer DLL
    ATAPI driver sxtension
    usb 1.1 & 2.0 port driver
    HD audio bus driver
    NDIS 6.20 driver

I was also getting high ISR & DPC count from the Nvidia card drivers but forgot what they are called because haven't installed them back yet

LAtencyMon also tells me there's a problem with the hard pagefaults:

Some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 1708
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 319
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (Ás): 1515746.136712
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 10.915586
    Number of processes hit: 14

I have no clue now how to fix this problem...i searched the net and just got more confused..does this basically mean i need to get another motherboard to fix this problem?..it seems like big hassle to try to fix it if it's something with the GB motherboard...also how do i fix the hard pagefaults..do i need to get another HD because mine is a bit old..or there are some settings that i need to change?

I want to put an end to this eternally annoying probelm..so any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 05-27-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpwolf View Post
    Thanks for this..i was totally unaware of DPC latency and all that stuff...i tried your suggestions and i did see some improvement on my pc but unfortuantely it still didn't fix my lag issues in QL...i too have similar porblem with some kind of input lag and choppiness in movement that just makes the game plays like total **** most of the times..and i've been trying to fix it for almost 2 years now and still haven't really figured it out yet..i tried so many things & diffrenet settings it would probably take pages to list them, i also got a new video card, ram and 120 hz monitor..they helped a bit but none of that solved the main problem..it just lags randomly and whenever i think it's fixed the next day or the next game it gets all laggy and choppy again..i only play insta and basically my acurracy will go from the 40's to the 20's when it starts to lag..

Anyways..i do believe i finally found what the probelm is but i have no clue on how to actually fix it..it seems there's a probelm with the Gigabyte motherboards from what i read because mine is too..i have the (GA-EP45-UD3P)..I tried updating the BIOS but that didn't help either..basically when i tried the DPC latency checker it seemed like i was able to lower it to about 20 or so but it spikes again to 100 after a bit..i also get that message telling me that "this pc should be able to handle real time streaming.."

So based on DPC latency checker everything seems fine but then i ran (LatencyMon) and i was getting all kinds of problems..i keep getting this message:

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

I disabled UAC and switched to high performance in the power managment settings and disabled everything you said in the BIOS..updated the BIOS but i still get that message..
    I ended up reinstalling windows 7 64 again and before i run the automatic update i ran LatencyMon and had the same thing..

when i go to the drivers tab i see that there are certain drivers with high ISR and DPC count..those include:

Hardware Abstration Layer DLL
    ATAPI driver sxtension
    usb 1.1 & 2.0 port driver
    HD audio bus driver
    NDIS 6.20 driver

I was also getting high ISR & DPC count from the Nvidia card drivers but forgot what they are called because haven't installed them back yet

LAtencyMon also tells me there's a problem with the hard pagefaults:

Some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 1708
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 319
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (Ás): 1515746.136712
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 10.915586
    Number of processes hit: 14

I have no clue now how to fix this problem...i searched the net and just got more confused..does this basically mean i need to get another motherboard to fix this problem?..it seems like big hassle to try to fix it if it's something with the GB motherboard...also how do i fix the hard pagefaults..do i need to get another HD because mine is a bit old..or there are some settings that i need to change?

I want to put an end to this eternally annoying probelm..so any help would be greatly appreciated..
    I posted on the other thread w/ some suggestions. It may be worth looking into another motherboard.. It helped me out quite a bit when I switched from gigabyte to asus. However, most asus board do not allow you to disable HPET. Some asus boards do allow you to disable it, so do your research and make sure you can disable this. Some boards prohibit it, don't know why, but this is bad for gaming.

Scorp,

Some other suggestions (Remember to check other thread for list of additional suggestions).

Launch DPC Latency Checker and launch your device manager and disable your sound card. See what this does to your DPC Latency. Good rule of thumb is to choose a driver that gives you the lowest amount of DPC Latency. Once everything is tweaked, you should be able to get it from 2-15us, stable.

Senior Member 1337Hax0rr is on a distinguished road
    Bump for an old thread but I found something that worked for me. Downloaded the latest realtek ethernet drivers from realtek's website. Uninstalled my older ethernet drivers and installed these new ones. No delay, atleast so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Hax0rr View Post
    Bump for an old thread but I found something that worked for me. Downloaded the latest realtek ethernet drivers from realtek's website. Uninstalled my older ethernet drivers and installed these new ones. No delay, atleast so far.
    Cool.

I'm not having any delay or 'input lag' related issues atm (Finally!), but out of curiosity, which realtek LAN driver version are you referring to?

+ Reply to Thread