+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Video Lag/Delay on Windows 7 x64 & AMD HD Radeon 7850 GFX - Help

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglyboobs View Post
    When was it removed?
    5-31-2011 per this post: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...Accel-Features

Junior Member Diggl3r is on a distinguished road
    c3

I could not believe it when I saw your post! I have been dealing with this "exact" same problem for quite some time now and was having a hard time describing it to other players, but I think you have described it here very well.

I have also gone to extremes to solve the problem to no avail. I ahve pretty much done everything you have and even built a new machine (I5 3570K, AMD HD Radeon 7850, etc.) but the problem remains. I have replaced everything, computer, router, cable modem, cables, bypassed router, reset config to default and nothing seems to resolve it.

I have noticed one thing that seems to be consistent. In the lagometer, the bottom green line is not solid, but has vertical slices missing from it. Not spikes, but missing pieces, sorta like -------------- ------- ------- -------- ------- -------
    My ping can be 22 or 59 and it is still there. I don't recall it looking like this prior to this problem, it was always a solid green bar just varied in height based on ping. I have compared it to other player’s lagometer and they do not see this. However, I am not clear as to what this represents (packet loss?). On my previous system, I would also experience a rolling FPS, sort of like a slot machine, from 70-125, but this machine does not exhibit this behavior.

Overall it feels like video/input lag as I see players positions relative to mine "adjust" or "sync" and my inputs seem delayed or "mushy". It effects my movement and reaction time considerably and is very noticeable during fast moving sequences like you said, "I often wake up dead wondering what just happened".

At this point I am out of ideas. I have spent an inordinate amount of time and money attempting to resolve this and I am not sure where to go from here...

-D

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggl3r View Post
    c3

I could not believe it when I saw your post! I have been dealing with this "exact" same problem for quite some time now and was having a hard time describing it to other players, but I think you have described it here very well.

I have also gone to extremes to solve the problem to no avail. I ahve pretty much done everything you have and even built a new machine (I5 3570K, AMD HD Radeon 7850, etc.) but the problem remains. I have replaced everything, computer, router, cable modem, cables, bypassed router, reset config to default and nothing seems to resolve it.

I have noticed one thing that seems to be consistent. In the lagometer, the bottom green line is not solid, but has vertical slices missing from it. Not spikes, but missing pieces, sorta like -------------- ------- ------- -------- ------- -------
    My ping can be 22 or 59 and it is still there. I don't recall it looking like this prior to this problem, it was always a solid green bar just varied in height based on ping. I have compared it to other player’s lagometer and they do not see this. However, I am not clear as to what this represents (packet loss?). On my previous system, I would also experience a rolling FPS, sort of like a slot machine, from 70-125, but this machine does not exhibit this behavior.

Overall it feels like video/input lag as I see players positions relative to mine "adjust" or "sync" and my inputs seem delayed or "mushy". It effects my movement and reaction time considerably and is very noticeable during fast moving sequences like you said, "I often wake up dead wondering what just happened".

At this point I am out of ideas. I have spent an inordinate amount of time and money attempting to resolve this and I am not sure where to go from here...

-D
    Diggl3r,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with the same problem, but relieved that I'm not alone! I'll add you as a friend on QLive and maybe we can help each other out put this nonsense in our rear-view.

I have noticed I have that same discrepancy in the lagometer where the bottom isn't a solid green line. It's a bit more jagged, but not too bad. The problem with this suggestion is that I experience the same issue locally.

I do have one suggestion for you if you haven't tried this already. Disable 'Nagle's Algorithm.' This is widely known and accepted to reduce overall latency and stability. Check the link below with instructions on configuring this network tweak. It's registry based, so be careful!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2573524

(Above link has specific instructions, and very straight-forward) <-- Registry entries and a reboot and you're all set.

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574

(Above link directs you to a far more in depth explanation and instruction(s))

I really feel this issue is Window's based... dealing with running services... priority... conflicting software/settings, who knows.

Please keep me updated on your findings and any additional tweaks you come across. I'll do the same.

-T

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    c3 you should state your problem here - > http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59 - your going to get an answer to what might be causing your problems. could just be a driver that you need to be running who knows. ccc beta testers are all over that site

What psu are you using btw?

500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended
    Last edited by Adderall; 07-14-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Wow.

For anyone interested, I finally found a solution to the problem I was experiencing. Glad to know I'm not crazy .

I had a feeling my problem was related to system services or potentially even my BIOS settings. Turns out, my BIOS settings proved to be the culprit as I had certain settings that I enabled (Primarily because I was running a hackintosh on my system for some time which required specific BIOS settings enabled) that were absolutely destroying both my audio and video latency, or more specifically, DPC latency. From what I understand this is partially responsible for how the audio/video data flows, which has a pretty significant impact on input lag.

Go into your BIOS and make sure these settings are DISABLED:

1) High Precision Event Timer (HPET) <-- DISABLE

2) CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), EIST (Speedstep) & Cool n' Quiet <-- DISABLE

3) C3/C6 <--- Disable (This one isn't necessary, but I disabled it anyways as it lowers the power to your CPU if it's idle)

4) If you have Hyper-threading, DISABLE that as well. I have an i5-2500k, so I don't have to worry about this one.

If you are experiencing issues as the ones posted in this forum, I suggest you also download a DPC Latency Checker (Google it), and see if your system is putting out acceptable rates. If it's incredibly high, you have some system related services or BIOS settings dramatically increasing your DPC latency, which in turns increases your VIDEO and AUDIO latency <--- LAG. Do some research on this subject, you'll find a lot of good information.

I found a great post regarding 'Gaming Performance Tweaks,' where I found the above suggestions. Check it out and check to see if you have any of those settings enabled. You could be lagging before you ever reach the Internet.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...ce-tweaks.html

Good luck!

-T
    Last edited by c3; 07-14-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    c3 what was your dpc latency? Mine jumps between 8 and 1100 at regular intervals. I haven't tweaked anything though. I guess I could try disabling HPET. I'm running XP SP3 which is kind of somewhere in between SP2 and earlier and Vista+ on usage of the HPET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    c3 what was your dpc latency? Mine jumps between 8 and 1100 at regular intervals. I haven't tweaked anything though. I guess I could try disabling HPET. I'm running XP SP3 which is kind of somewhere in between SP2 and earlier and Vista+ on usage of the HPET.
    I should have wrote it down, but I believe it was 150-400. I can't remember what my DPC latency dropped to after I disabled it, but I'll test it tomorrow and report back. It seems odd that your latency goes from 8-1100... if that's the case, there's definitely some room for improvement. The performance boost I received in QLive is nothing short of dramatic after I disabled HPET and the other settings I previously posted. The delay/lag appears to be completely gone. I played a bit after I made the change and it feels like how I remember in the good ol' Q3 days.

I can now actually see the rockets coming at me, my movement feels as it should... I can only describe it as if my ping dropped from 150 to 30. Never could really understand why I couldn't shaft above 35% consistently, or rail consistently above 50% or why I never could see all the shots fired at me. Felt as if everyone was firing two shots at a time to my one. For the couple hours I played after the change, all I know is that I was lgin' between 35-40 on average and railing @ 50-60%. I ended up settling on timenudge -5 as well which seems to work out well for my ping (20-30s).

I'm curious to see what your results will be, being that you're on a CRT. I imagine people playing on LCD's will benefit far more from a tweak like this. This is a different kind of latency, so it should improve despite your display... maybe just won't be as noticeable. Who knows.

On a side note: I do a good deal of music production, and DPC latency is a pretty big topic when talking about audio recording on the PC/MAC. 8-1100 is absolutely awful... I don't understand the significant fluctuation. Test out those settings and let me know how it works out for you .

Some good DPC Latency / HPET (Disable) Sources to check out:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10...mance-and-fps/

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=635090&mpage=1

-T
    Last edited by c3; 07-14-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    c3 you should state your problem here - > http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59 - your going to get an answer to what might be causing your problems. could just be a driver that you need to be running who knows. ccc beta testers are all over that site

What psu are you using btw?

500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended
    Adderall,

Thanks for the tips. Luckily, I resolved the issue. Check the above post .

FYI, I have a 760W PSU with all modern power adapters such as the 75W 6-Pin PCI-E plugs. I've even done so much as disabling all hardware devices (DVD, component cards not in use, audio devices not in use, etc) before I play to see if that makes a difference.

What killed me is that I tweaked my BIOS in the past because I used to run OS X Lion (Hackintosh) on my PC which required a non-standard BIOS configuration. So, it didn't matter if I formatted my system for a fresh install because I was doomed from the get go.

If you get the chance, I'm curious if the above suggestions could give you a performance boost as well, assuming you have settings such as HPET enabled. Funny to find out what a difference this makes for me being that my system is quite fast.

-T

Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    I should have wrote it down, but I believe it was 150-400. I can't remember what my DPC latency dropped to after I disabled it, but I'll test it tomorrow and report back. It seems odd that your latency goes from 8-1100... if that's the case, there's definitely some room for improvement. The performance boost I received in QLive is nothing short of dramatic after I disabled HPET and the other settings I previously posted.
    I disabled what I thought was reasonable in device manager, disabled HPET, EIST, and CPU Halt. I haven't tried the C3/C6 thing, and what are you doing in my BIOS anyways Mr. c3! ;-) Crap joke I know.

Nothing I did made much of a difference, the spikes don't go over 1000us now is all. Under load it stays around 800 us.

Graph looks like this: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9...clat071412.jpg

I'm thinking of putting EIST and such back on because I kind of liked how it underclocked a whole Ghz to save power, and it hasn't affected my graph :/

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    Adderall,

Thanks for the tips. Luckily, I resolved the issue. Check the above post .

FYI, I have a 760W PSU with all modern power adapters such as the 75W 6-Pin PCI-E plugs. I've even done so much as disabling all hardware devices (DVD, component cards not in use, audio devices not in use, etc) before I play to see if that makes a difference.

What killed me is that I tweaked my BIOS in the past because I used to run OS X Lion (Hackintosh) on my PC which required a non-standard BIOS configuration. So, it didn't matter if I formatted my system for a fresh install because I was doomed from the get go.

If you get the chance, I'm curious if the above suggestions could give you a performance boost as well, assuming you have settings such as HPET enabled. Funny to find out what a difference this makes for me being that my system is quite fast.

-T
    c3 the slowest thing on my pc is my ati 5750 (crossfire). I do tweak the my gpu using ATI tray tools. Tons of feature and lets me disable ati powerplay, forcing the clocks always to be at full speed. thanks for the info though - Also c3 always download the latest ati crossfire profiles even if your a single gpu user
    Last edited by Adderall; 07-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

+ Reply to Thread