+ Reply to Thread

Thread: r_picmip resetting to one everytime I exit and join a new server on linux

Member DeadIy is on a distinguished road

r_picmip resetting to one everytime I exit and join a new server on linux

As the title suggest my autoexec is seta r_picmip "10" but it always resets to "1" everytime I join a game. Having to do vid_restart everytime I join a new server. Im running ubuntu 12.10 and already tried the seta r_lastValidRenderer as the suggested solution. Any help will be appreciated.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    seta r_picmip 10 is in repconfig.cfg and autoexec.cfg if there is one?

If you have an autoexec, and you don't \writeconfig autoexec after a change, it will not save.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    seta r_picmip 10 is in repconfig.cfg and autoexec.cfg if there is one?

If you have an autoexec, and you don't \writeconfig autoexec after a change, it will not save.
    If you do use /writeconfig autoexec.cfg you need to find the file and remove any "web_" prefix cvar lines from it, or it will stop the start a match or practice game options you chose later from running.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadIyNoob View Post
    Im running ubuntu 12.10 and already tried the seta r_lastValidRenderer as the suggested solution.
    It is still the proper and only solution. You must have done something wrong.

Paste output of:
    grep Renderer ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/repconfig.cfg
    grep Renderer ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/autoexec.cfg
    glxinfo | grep renderer

I'm guessing you either missed the point about putting trailing space there, or something else happened :)

Member DeadIy is on a distinguished road
    Here's what I did the first time I searched the forums. Went on quake and typed in r_lastvalidrenderer and got "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series" and I went to my autoexec in my baseq3 folder and at the end of my long config put in "seta r_lastvalidrenderer "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series" " my r_picmip in autoexec is already 10

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    You dont need to use autoexec at all. If you completely remove using it your video settings well always stay the same unless you change it yourself and vid_rsrt. Same thing for weapon binds and everything else but chat spams? or something like that
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Adderall, He needs to use autoexec with the single command. That's to work around an ATI/QL bug. No other stuff (like r_picmip) is needed in autoexec if the work-around is in place.

DeadIyNoob, if you did what you say to the letter, you did it wrong. Again: paste my commands into a terminal, paste results back in here. We can't help you otherwise.

Lam is that needed for *.nix users that have ati issues? Thats good to know if it is. DeadIyNoob have you tried these drivers. Good place to find ati drivers is here -> http://benchmark3d.com/
    Last edited by Adderall; 07-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    Lam is that needed for *.nix users that have ati issues?
    It's needed to stop QL from resetting picmip to 1 with ATI proprietary drivers. There are open drivers and there are other issues people might have - this workaround won't help there.

Newer drivers won't fix the problem. ATI is dedicated to keeping the bug in, it's there for years and no sign of change :)

Why do you link Windows drivers to a Linux user? Is that your way of suggesting him to switch OS? :)

I didn't even think about taht when I linked them. I dont see that driver for *.nix ;/

Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

+ Reply to Thread