+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quake 5

Junior Member Overclocked is on a distinguished road

Quake 5

Is this game an illusion in every quake player mind?
    Do we deserve something like this after twelve years of playing quake3?
    Are we not supposed to talk about this game at all?
    Are you gonna make fun of me because I mentioned this game?
    Arent Doom and Quake the mother and father of FPS games?
    Did hardware got better in 12 years,and when are we going to use it properly?

Really
    I love quakelive, Its the best idea of all times. Its easy to navigate connect and play and its free and I love it (again)....but damn I think we deserve a next BIG THING!!!
    This is only the quake soul talking....

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I haven't heard anything about it.

*N3CrO
    I have heard The Mr. Carmack and his team is working on a Quake 1 remake.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I don't think there's any chance we hear about that before Doom 4 is released and maybe even RAGE 2. And maybe never.

I was there when quake 1 didnt had a 3dfx mode ,I was there when I bought my first 3d card for quake2 with 4mb of ram.I was there when quake3 was made (damn didnt had time to play it thought).
    I started playing games in 2010 again and still nothing happend till then .I ask myself *** is going on in here.
    Who the .... wants to lay in the grass and camp forever and call airstrikes (COD,Battlfield,crysis)
    Why the .... ID didnt make anything good since then?
    Who the ..... wants to play rage?
    What is going on in this world if I return after 10 years and still playing the same game that I played before.
    Id put that sleevs up and make something decent again your community and fans deserve it!!!!!!!!!
    I just want to hear your oppinion about this.
    I just want to appologize if I offended anybody but keep in mind this is a quake soul speeking......
    Last edited by Overclocked; 06-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.

*N3CrO
    Your're almost right.
    At least older CODs (imo COD is the best one) support classic console commands and you can set the framelimit to 125 (or even 250 and 333) - so strafe jumping works and the gameplay is not too slow (although it could be faster).

Battlefield: The first part is very old, too. Anyway, it's Battlefield - I prefer Arena shooters.

Well, I hope the next Quake will be better than Quake 4. The problem is the engine: Newer Id tech engines are more made for realistic use. I doubt there will be some old style gameplay (-.-) , but could you imagine using the old Quake 3 engine in the next episode? Wouldn't that be a step backwards?

So in the end I have 2 suggestions:
    1.: If you want more modern looking graphics, play Xonotic (previously known as Nexuiz)
    2.: If that does not care you: Keep up Quake3 (or Quake Live)

Quote Originally Posted by N3CrO View Post
    Your're almost right.
    At least older CODs (imo COD is the best one) support classic console commands and you can set the framelimit to 125 (or even 250 and 333) - so strafe jumping works and the gameplay is not too slow (although it could be faster).

Battlefield: The first part is very old, too. Anyway, it's Battlefield - I prefer Arena shooters.

Well, I hope the next Quake will be better than Quake 4. The problem is the engine: Newer Id tech engines are more made for realistic use. I doubt there will be some old style gameplay (-.-) , but could you imagine using the old Quake 3 engine in the next episode? Wouldn't that be a step backwards?

So in the end I have 2 suggestions:
    1.: If you want more modern looking graphics, play Xonotic (previously known as Nexuiz)
    2.: If that does not care you: Keep up Quake3 (or Quake Live)
    When you say "Newer Id tech engines are more made for realistic use" , "I doubt there will be some old style gameplay" does that means that FPS is dying? Because this gamestyle (quake3) is acctually ultimate FPS style and the only one I aprove....you just cant call other games hardcore FPS games like quake, they seem more like ultimate boring use mouse only walk slow motion watch beautifful graphicks camping games to me.
    Well at the end of the day I am glad that I was a part of first and best FPS games made in 1990s.
    I am getting older but games arent getting better.
    Last edited by Overclocked; 06-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.

*N3CrO
    Quote Originally Posted by Overclocked View Post
    ...does that means that FPS is dying? Because this gamestyle (quake3) is acctually ultimate FPS style and the only one I aprove....you just cant call other games hardcore FPS games like quake...
    If you ask me, hardcore FPS are dying from the commercial sector. No, they are still dead on this sector. Only open source some shooters keep this up. The best examples: (I recommend you to try them out)
    Cube 2: Sauerbraten (no strafe jumps, but bunny hopping and rocket/rifle jumping; very fast gameplay; ingame map editor)
    Xonotic / classic Nexuiz (as I already said - > Q3 engine with improved graphics)
    Warsow (based on Quake 2 engine)
    Alien Arena

What a shame about Nexuiz:
    They started developing many years ago - it should be comercial. Then they published it under free license. And last year they continued with their commercial project: They made a new commercial game with the same name. There should be a PC version, but they mainly made it for consoles. This IS A REAL ARENA SHOOTER, but it's lame on console. They have slowed down the gameplay and you cannot see people doing the great quake stuff on the gameplay videos/trailers. I believe they have used a modified Doom3 Engine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjsM9k3FvxE

EDIT:
    Before I forget, It's the same with Unreal tournament.
    UT99 has this old style hardcore gameplay. In ut2004 it got weaken and now take a look at UT3: Nobody likes it. Just the graphics look pretty.
    Last edited by N3CrO; 06-30-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Junior Member BlueDreamDebris is on a distinguished road
    Quakewars was better than Quake4 and still has a decent population. That said, I do recall Raven Software was working on Quake Five.

*N3CrO
    Never played Quake Wars - I don't like battlefields. I prefer arenas.
    And thats the point where I ask myself: should quake ever stay an arena shooter or will it still be quake if you are fighting on a battlefield?
    However, if you think Quake is an arena shooter, then I see Xonotic as the real Quake 5: more modern graphics, many game modes (specially the race mode is a mode which Quake deserves), mutators (e.g. grappling hook or instagib), but still the old gameplay.

+ Reply to Thread