+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning multiple accounts

Senior Member crogeek is on a distinguished road crogeek's Avatar

Banning multiple accounts

It's annoying to see that pro duel "noobs" are creating massively accounts only for FFA tier slummering. It would be nice to see ban-system which works on this way - if it sees that players have several accounts then all of their accounts (including main one) should be banned.
    I am getting tired to seeing constantly that players have 10-20-30 or more accounts on QL.
    There's no better place than (127.0.0.1) HOME. . .

QUAKE 2 INSTAGIB WILL STAY FOREVER IN MY MEMORY (1997 - 2002)

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    tired of seeing? can you even list one player you know for sure is doing that?

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    Detlew? >_>

Banned xir is on a distinguished road
    herc - tabernak_/vermillion_/shemale_/obama12/hamachi_kama/herc01, etc, etc etc,
    incubus - amotive/bleed_/feint/incubeast/power/systemic/ted_, etc etc etc etc
    sav1or - shaggy/dummkopf/kev1n//_k_c_/skz/rzm/kevin_, etc etc etc

and countless of others

i usually respect your judgement yakumo, but to insist that noone is doing this is borderling trolling. And for a moderator of your status that is really unfortunate

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xir View Post
    herc - tabernak_/vermillion_/shemale_/obama12/hamachi_kama/herc01, etc, etc etc,
    incubus - amotive/bleed_/feint/incubeast/power/systemic/ted_, etc etc etc etc
    sav1or - shaggy/dummkopf/kev1n//_k_c_/skz/rzm/kevin_, etc etc etc

and countless of others

i usually respect your judgement yakumo, but to insist that noone is doing this is borderling trolling. And for a moderator of your status that is really unfortunate
    detlew - was creating several new accounts daily for ban evasion, doesn't exactly count in this context they were simply a persistent cheat, haven't heard of them in months I figure they got bored or maybe even id implemented some kind of client tagging that actually stopped him.

herc - ok sure the stats look similar, but other than 'herc' the others listed haven't been touched for either 24 days or 2 months. so pretty irrelevant

user, then suspected alias's last game time listed:

herc - 2 months, 2 months, 2 months, 24 days, 24 days, doesn't exist

incubus - 8 days, 12 months, 4 months, zero games played, doesn't exist, doesn't exist

sav1or (not played in 19 days themselves) then - 0 games, 5 days, 0 games, doesn't exist, doesn't exist, BANNED 13 months ago, 0 games.

So in your examples you've theoretically identified 2 users with one having maybe 5 accounts... that are not in use.
    and sav1or... ??

I'm sorry but that's hardly a convincing argument for legions of pro duellers running "10-20-30 or more accounts"

The terms do still say no more than two accounts per user, you are free to report people you suspect of having more through the same support system used for reporting any other service abuse. I've witnessed such players on IRC a few times being told to select the accounts they want to keep and the others have been removed, or blocked from use.

It's a free online game and people can change IP's and get infinite free email addresses to sign up with, unless they implement some kind of client tagging there is nothing they can do about this, and even that would be defeated by having multiple machines (home/work/friends place/lan party).

I think much like many false accusations for cheats however a lot of the accused are simply not the same person in the first place.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 07-01-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I'm sure that if you had access to QL's records you would see same ip - many accounts happening all over the place, or similar ip, congruent times of day gaming and choice of game type.

Sync & Co are aware of the problem of multiple accounts but obviously see cracking down on it either too difficult or a bad idea (I can think of plenty of reasons why).

Probably in most cases it doesn't bother anyone. It's those that abuse the system that many wish to see punished. This is very difficult without strictly defined criteria though.

I agree, but 10-30(!) active accounts I don't see happening.
    And even if they see same IP, there are many places that have 1 IP and multiple housemates, students playing quakelive get their housemates into it, siblings share etc .

They have to draw the line somewhere, claims of 'it wasn't me it was my brother that cheated' have to be ignored, but banning for simply having X accounts on an ip would be ridiculous.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    How would you know?

And even if they see same IP, there are many places that have 1 IP and multiple housemates, students playing quakelive get their housemates into it, siblings share etc .

They have to draw the line somewhere, claims of 'it wasn't me it was my brother that cheated' have to be ignored, but banning for simply having X accounts on an ip would be ridiculous.
    So when I said "I can think of plenty of reasons why", these are some of those reasons :-)

Senior Member crogeek is on a distinguished road crogeek's Avatar
    I suspect by style of play. I saw a lot of lately players from Serbia which are doing just that - players which are experienced duelers (or very experienced q3 players) are coming with several and new accounts on FFA and they do tier slummer - and they're creating new accounts almost every week (how I do know that? - Because I see bunch of new accounts on Belgrade's FFA servers which are coming there and those accounts play professionally). That's why I started to having private FFA servers with public entrance (with self-control on the my spawned server).
    And how new freshly created account can play so professionally? - There's no point and new comers cannot play professionally instantly. QL is hard learning game.
    And btw I believe that this is happening on different QL servers too.
    With my personal opinion - only one QL account should have only one user, nothing more than that.
    BUT OBVIOUSLY TOS of this game is broken because still many people have more than two accounts (especially duelers) lately (and yeah I saw this personally).
    Some banning solution should be invented against that.
    Last edited by crogeek; 07-02-2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added reason
    There's no better place than (127.0.0.1) HOME. . .

QUAKE 2 INSTAGIB WILL STAY FOREVER IN MY MEMORY (1997 - 2002)

Banned xir is on a distinguished road

Anything over 2 accounts is already against the rules, why does it have to be 10 or 30? Also the 3 people i named, repeatedly create new accounts for one reason and one reason alone, to tierslum.

Also, if you think reporting them works, why don't you try it yourself. Those 3 players have abused the system since 2009. Everyone knows who they are, they're as famous as detlew.

+ Reply to Thread