+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Keyboards?

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    I have used a couple of different Saiteks as well as a couple of Logitechs. My current keyboard, since March, is a Mionix Zibal 60. It's mechanical with non-tactile cherry black keys. It's an all aluminum body, rock solid and heavy compared to the others I've owned. Being non-tactile, it can be quite "klackey" until you get used to it. It has no media keys and is a rather plain looking matte black, but does have backlit keys (sort of a sickly hazardous green). I am really enjoying using it and can see it lasting for a long time.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

*kadle
    I forgot to mention that the letters on the keys of the 6Gv2 disappear VERY fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    I also don't need media keys, so if I was interested in the 6gv2 or 7g I would just look into a cherry black solution from another company.
    I prefer a standard keyboard without any media keys and the like too - but my last IBM keyboard that weighted a ton broke some years ago. Can you recommend some standard keyboards that are solid, heavy, have engravings for the letters, and cherry-keys (no keys must jam when several keys (max 6 is ok) are pressed at the same time)?

Best Regards
    Kadle
    Last edited by kadle; 06-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.

You are looking for NKRO. That's nine key rollover, with nine keys pressed at the same time and they all register. It only works with nine though if you are using a ps/2 connection. With usb I believe you are limited to four keys. I could be wrong though. Not sure if posting consumer links is allowed or not...but the link to mine is below.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60...x&promoid=1048
    Sometimes I wonder...
    Then it hits me.

*Kesklol
    Quote Originally Posted by intheway View Post
    You are looking for NKRO. That's nine key rollover, with nine keys pressed at the same time and they all register. It only works with nine though if you are using a ps/2 connection. With usb I believe you are limited to four keys. I could be wrong though. Not sure if posting consumer links is allowed or not...but the link to mine is below.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60...x&promoid=1048
    nkro = n-key rollover or unlimited simultaneous keypresses. The steelseries keyboards can do this via ps2. Actually pretty much any modern gaming keyboard, mechanical or otherwise, will have anti-ghosting around the WASD area.

*ahsee
    Hey thanks for all the replies. It does seem a mechanical board is the way to go, was very interested in the Leopold FC500RT/AB but seems its not available in the UK. So will probably go for the Steelseries.

Banned DCR is on a distinguished road
    i've had all the various versions of the 6g and 7g steelseries keyboard, and they all stop working after a while of use, about a months of gaming and the keys stop responding, gets stuck down or whatever. I recently ordered a steelseries kana, but i wont be suprised if that stops working shortly either as all of their mice that i've had, about 4 ikari's, also stopped working. Basically, steelseries sucks. Except for their siberia headset, that actually works, well at least the 2nd one i got, as the first one stopped working after 2 days. But the retailer was nice enough to give me a new one.

Senior Member Rebecca is on a distinguished road Rebecca's Avatar
    I've used the same mechanical keyboard since 2000. It's a 1995 IBM Model M with buckling spring key mechanisms. PS/2 conn only. It provides the exact same press feel as the old IBM Selectric typewriter - very positive - you definitely know when contact is made. I work as a writer and it works fantastic for typing as well as gaming. I like it so much I have a spare in the closet for the unlikely day when this one borks, but it's probably the most reliable keyboard ever made.

IBM Model Ms can be found all over the place for well under $100, still in their original boxes.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsee View Post
    Hey thanks for all the replies. It does seem a mechanical board is the way to go, was very interested in the Leopold FC500RT/AB but seems its not available in the UK. So will probably go for the Steelseries.
    Ahh, did you try http://elitekeyboards.com/products.p...&pid=fc500rtab

Looks like they ship internationally but perhaps you already looked through this. Maybe the weight/tax on the shipping is a deal breaker. The keyboard is already expensive..

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    I've used the same mechanical keyboard since 2000. It's a 1995 IBM Model M with buckling spring key mechanisms. PS/2 conn only. It provides the exact same press feel as the old IBM Selectric typewriter - very positive - you definitely know when contact is made. I work as a writer and it works fantastic for typing as well as gaming. I like it so much I have a spare in the closet for the unlikely day when this one borks, but it's probably the most reliable keyboard ever made.

IBM Model Ms can be found all over the place for well under $100, still in their original boxes.
    I used an Avant Stellar (IBM Omnikey ultra remake) since 1999, but switched to a new keyboard last year sometime.

It had buckling springs, simplified type 1 clicky white alps switches. I really liked it, and I had two of them. One sort of fell apart over the years, the next one started to have a repeating key problem. I soldered new keys to the board for a bit as they failed one by one. Eventually I damaged the trace so decided to buy a cherry brown switch keyboard which offers a nice balance between typing and gaming.

I am pretty happy with it, but certainly was sad to see my old keyboard go :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Kesklol View Post
    nkro = n-key rollover or unlimited simultaneous keypresses. The steelseries keyboards can do this via ps2. Actually pretty much any modern gaming keyboard, mechanical or otherwise, will have anti-ghosting around the WASD area.
    Thanks for the clarification. I just checked the mechanical keyboard nomenclature for quantity of simultaneous keys using a usb connection.

"Using the USB connection will limit the N-key Rollover function to 6 keys, plus 4 modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Pgup, etc.), at a time."
    Sometimes I wonder...
    Then it hits me.

+ Reply to Thread