+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyboards?

*ahsee

Keyboards?

Hey my first ever post here. I have to get a new keyboard and was wondering, is it worth going down the line of getting a mechanical board or just sticking to a cheap one like i have always used. Have searched internet and don't seem to come up with to much information.
    Thanks in advance.

*Kesklol
    I've got a steelseries 6Gv2, and it's incredible. Takes a few days to get used to it but it's great for typing and gaming. It's built like a slab of concrete and is very minimalist, so it will probably last for years. Was considering getting a blackwidow at the time but I tried one in a shop and it feels really cheap, and it's twice as loud as the steelseries. Imo black keys feel the nicest for games, brown/red seem ok too but I'd avoid blues for gaming. Once you get a good mechanical keyboard you will never want to go back to normal ones.

Personally I think the 6Gv2 is better than the 7G also (and cheaper).
    Last edited by Kesklol; 06-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Leopold FC500RT/AB (Cherry MX-Brown) here, recommended!

Something that puts me off about the Steelseries keyboards, no windows key! The steelseries key cannot be changed to a windows key either afaik :-/

I use windows key+r a lot and sometimes win+m.

Also cherry blacks are great for games, but are a bit loud and aren't as well suited to typing. I do a lot of typing so I happily opted for the browns which are a great middle road :-)
    Last edited by Lorfa; 06-26-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    The steelseries 7G keyboard IS the g6v2.

The only difference is the 7G has a wrist rest bundled in that sits around the keyboard. It's very solid, it doesn't clip on anywhere so you can't move from desk to knee, but it's still the best wrist rest I've ever used.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 06-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.

*kadle
    I recommend the steelseries 6Gv2 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Something that puts me off about the Steelseries keyboards, no windows key!
    My 6Gv2 has a windows key, it is located to the right of the space bar. The lowest row of keys are:
    LeftCtrl, Steel, Alt, Space. AltGr, WindowsKey, WindowsContextKey, RightCtrl
    Best Regards
    Kadle

*Kesklol
    wrong the 7g has loads of crap on it like the media controls, headphone port, usb ports and all that stuff that pushes the price up. Yeah stripped down they are the same keyboard which is why people should just get the 6gv2. (wrist pad is maybe 5 on ebay).

The steelseries does have a windows button, it's just moved to a better position. The only real problem I have with the keyboard is that the forward slash is moved to the other side of the keyboard from where it usually is, which can be a problem in other games where you need loads of keybindings.

*kadle

To players that want to redefine keys

It has been years since I redefined keys on my keyboard for various OS's. In the past, keyboards were a lot less standardized than they are today, so I haven't had the need to redefine my keyboard layout for years. I used to use xmodmap and friends. There are several other methods, also for windows users (at least there were, I haven't looked into it since win98).

Best Regards
    Kadle

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesklol View Post
    wrong the 7g has loads of crap on it like the media controls, headphone port, usb ports and all that stuff that pushes the price up. Yeah stripped down they are the same keyboard which is why people should just get the 6gv2. (wrist pad is maybe 5 on ebay).
    I never use the headphone port or usb, they're inside the top left of the back and I don't see them so forgot about them, that is the only difference.

The media keys are identical on the g6v2 http://steelseries.com/products/keyb...eelseries-6gv2

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I strongly prefer the windows key diagonal down left of 'z' so I can operate the mouse with my right hand and issue win key operations one-handed with my left.

I also don't need media keys, so if I was interested in the 6gv2 or 7g I would just look into a cherry black solution from another company.

+ Reply to Thread