+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to train reaction time?

Junior Member cCcCo is on a distinguished road
    Eat well, exercise and take supplements

*Azami
    My setup is pretty good, I do not play on a laptop. And I really don't train my reaction time. It just came from another game I play.

Senior Member ShaZe is on a distinguished road ShaZe's Avatar
    As mentioned earlier, Reaction time mean absolutely nothing. You are trying to train the worst thing imaginable. Something like good awareness training will help increase your performance much drastically than simply being able to sometimes shoot a little 20 miliseconds faster that can be quickly lost depending on your ping, aiming, and current level alert.

Plus, there is a minimum delay before your brain & body can even react to anything and I am not even sure if you can actually "train" yourself to respond faster, maybe you can on a regular task repeated constantly within the same conditions, but you will never be able to really train your reaction time under all the possible scenario possible in Quake.

Oh well, continue that way if you really want to

Junior Member enzno20 is on a distinguished road
    I do ~160ms on this - http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/index.php - test. First thing is to turn off aero. Second is you need to push the button with confidence and strongly – softer buttons might help or you can train your finger muscles :P. And finally, I have to concentrate on perceiving colour change as it is physical object moving into my view (piece of paper in my case), that I have to stop with my finger.

Senior Member belka_ is on a distinguished road belka_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enzno20 View Post
    I do ~160ms on this - http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/index.php - test. First thing is to turn off aero. Second is you need to push the button with confidence and strongly Ė softer buttons might help or you can train your finger muscles :P. And finally, I have to concentrate on perceiving colour change as it is physical object moving into my view (piece of paper in my case), that I have to stop with my finger.
    average of around 160ms??? UNHUMAN BEING

i personally fell that i improved a bit, there was tiimes when i hitted like 140ms, 160ms and so on, but those are really very rare. i usually around 200ms

as i read in some article, reaction gets better the older you get and only at around 30 years, it starts getting a bit worse, but you can still keep it in good "shape". I am 16 now and as the article i found says, my reaction time is normal for my age group.

i wanna ask enzno20, how old are you?
    PLAY MORE belka_ STYLE

*LegendLength
    Quote Originally Posted by KaasMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Second, the brain has great plasticity. Even if you are old you can train it to do things.
    I do hope that you realise that the basics of reflex, is that it by-passes the brain. Or at least, it uses the brain as little as possible.
    I do hope you realize it sounds condescending to start a response with that phrase.

Firstly, this isn't about reflexes, it's about reaction. It's easy to mix the two things up but reflexes are more about involuntary actions like when the doctor hits your knee with a small hammer and your leg moves.

Reaction does use the brain because you have a choice whether or not to click the mouse. You are free to just not click it and let yourself be killed.

Even if we were talking about pure reflexes there is still elasticity throughout our entire bodies, not just the brain. I can't quantify how much elasticity there is, it may be small, but it exists.

The original poster's question is a good one for all players because if it is possible to reduce our reaction times then it will always be a good thing for play. Of course prediction is very important in quake but if you have two people who are predicting well then the one with the lower reflexes will win (not taking aiming into account of course).

For the OP I would suggest keep trying the reaction games and see if it gets any better. I get the feeling it's hard to improve reaction times but it's worth looking into in case it's possible to gain 20 milliseconds with 1 hour of training.

The other thing I'd say is computers / operating systems make it difficult to make a program that records times accurately. Generally you're limited to 10 millisecond resolution (off the top of my head). It's possible to get very accurate by getting tricky but I reckon most developers couldn't be bothered. I get the feeling it's even harder for a web applet like the ones that were linked to because they're so high level (I don't know though).

Junior Member enzno20 is on a distinguished road
    Yes, average, but Iím not very good at this you should try to ask this guy-> http://www.esreality.com/?a=users&user_id=10228 check his results.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gL7s...7&feature=plcp

I'm much older than you :P

I have seen someone asking stermy on his stream about reaction time and he said that on some lan(i donít remember) every player had to do some tests and his reaction time was the best.

*ViciousTaco
    Belka, reaction time is something you're born with so don't stress yourself out over it, you can't really change it. It's how your brain is wired, I know a guy who has never played games or even sports but has a reaction time CONSISTENTLY at 130ms and at times as low as 100ms. Worry about getting yourself better in-game and don't bother obsessing yourself over it.
    Last edited by ViciousTaco; 06-23-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Senior Member T1E is on a distinguished road T1E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enzno20 View Post
    Yes, average, but I’m not very good at this you should try to ask this guy-> http://www.esreality.com/?a=users&user_id=10228 check his results.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gL7s...7&feature=plcp

I'm much older than you :P

I have seen someone asking stermy on his stream about reaction time and he said that on some lan(i don’t remember) every player had to do some tests and his reaction time was the best.
    this reaction test is flawed in my opinion
    - same intervals before it turns green every time (so you're able to predict the moment it changes color)
    - possible interference from slow flash-plugin (40 or 60 fps refresh max; aero influences lag there too)

*kadle
    Let's for the point of argument assume that we all react equally fast.

0) When the enemies are out of view, try to imagine where and what the enemy/enemies are doing. Then shoot in advance. Fx, if you think the enemy is around a corner, then imagine where he is most likely to be before you turn the corner, and shoot at the imagined spot "almost before" you turn the corner. You can also listen for sounds, and shoot in advance at where you expect the enemy to appear. Stay in cover, strafe, then shoot at where you THINK the enemy is, then strafe back to regain cover. Don't bother trying to locate the enemy with your eyes before you shoot - just shoot. Your accuracy will suffer, but who cares - I don't.

1) Drink a cup of coffee. But don't over do it - you don't want to become addicted to coffee.

2) Practice.

Best Regards
    Kadle

+ Reply to Thread