+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to train reaction time?

Senior Member belka_ is on a distinguished road belka_'s Avatar

Is there a way to train reaction time?

Is there a way to get better reaction time or ppl are bound to havethe same one, which only gets worse while getting older?

I usually have around 200ms but for my total happyness i would wish 175ms or lower.
    PLAY MORE belka_ STYLE

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    I don't know how you meassured that reaction time, but I think it also depends on what the input is.
    For example, if you are talking about reaction in vision (because there also is sound skinfeeling etc) then it matters what you see.
    A very small dot takes longer to see than a big dot, and also the colour matters (black is hard to detect on a dark background, while white is way easier to detect on a dark background).

About the training, I have no idea Tried google?

*Insex
    Practice, practice, practice. Everything gets easier with a lot of practice.

I believe that using preset enemy models/colors can help with reaction time too. I play a lot of CTF, so it's easier for me to not remind myself what team I'm on when I see a Red or Blue enemy. I just shoot at all of the bright green-colored Keel enemy models. However, it confuses my own teammates who use the Keel model when I accidentally shoot them, perhaps because my reaction time is a little too quick.

In the console, I use: /cg_forceenemymodel keel/sport

Junior Member LOLDSN is on a distinguished road
    http://aim400kg.ru/en/
    doesnt necessary help, but if you are willing you can endure and teach yourself to stay focused at times, not that reaction times matters much in quake. I can understand in CS the awp shots but rails here are much easier to hit

Quote Originally Posted by LOLDSN View Post
    http://aim400kg.ru/en/
    doesnt necessary help, but if you are willing you can endure and teach yourself to stay focused at times, not that reaction times matters much in quake. I can understand in CS the awp shots but rails here are much easier to hit
    i know that website you linked for a long time, but no matter how long i practice my reaction time there, it still stays at around 200ms

the thing is, i notice straight away that the ball has changed the color, but i dont know why, it takes time for me to press the goddamm button on the mouse. I some how must change the focus/thinking so that the command to press the button in my head would start a bit earlier or would travel faster
    PLAY MORE belka_ STYLE

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by belka_ View Post
    Is there a way to get better reaction time or ppl are bound to havethe same one, which only gets worse while getting older?

I usually have around 200ms but for my total happyness i would wish 175ms or lower.
    First of all, for quake don't expect to get anywhere on your reaction time. Even if it was 100 ms you'd be too slow. The most important skill to have in quake is prediction. Making decisions and taking actions before they become critical. I don't think it's any coincidence that our Quake Live World Champion rapha is said in jest to be "five steps ahead of his opponent".

Second, the brain has great plasticity. Even if you are old you can train it to do things.

What you're looking for here is a bit counter-intuitive however. What would improve reaction time besides diet and exercise (healthy body, healthy mind), is the removal of extra, irrelevant processing. Whenever we try to improve at something we tend to think of improving as gaining something that we didn't have before which is true for many cases. We tend to forget that sometimes to improve we need to remove something instead.

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Second, the brain has great plasticity. Even if you are old you can train it to do things.
    I do hope that you realise that the basics of reflex, is that it by-passes the brain. Or at least, it uses the brain as little as possible.

Junior Member Azami is on a distinguished road
    http://puu.sh/CQcz

How you have a 200ms reaction time I don't know. But keep playing and you'll get faster.

Junior Member aush is on a distinguished road
    Just one word: "insta".

Quote Originally Posted by Azami View Post
    http://puu.sh/CQcz

How you have a 200ms reaction time I don't know. But keep playing and you'll get faster.
    i don't know how ppl get 180ms or lower. i always thought that 200ms-220ms is the average of almost every regular person.

one question - do you train on a laptop? if you do, then the whole system is not fast enough to show your REAL reaction time correctly. the better your setup is=the less lag you get from the system

and i noticed, the faster you can move your finger (;DDD) the lower your reaction time is. even if you react not so fast, a fast mouse button press may help a little.

but i still know, there is some trick in this
    PLAY MORE belka_ STYLE

+ Reply to Thread