View Poll Results: Attending QuakeCon 2012?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 10.00%
  • No

16 80.00%
  • not sure yet (procrastinator...plane ticket prices go up daily btw!!!)

2 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the proverbial QUAKECON....!!!!

*no1hasdis

Thumbs up the proverbial QUAKECON....!!!!

So I'm a short lived member to the QuakeLive world, however, I am an O.G. when it comes to quake period (played q1 2 and 3 all when they came out, recently got q4).

BUT...

This is my first year attending QuakeCon. I'm certain many of the QL community is going as well. I just wanted to know some stuff about it (the site itself doesn't seem to offer much info I want to know).

Such As:
    1) Early registration page asks "do you want to participate in the MOD contest"...what the hell is MOD Contest?
    2) and mostly, what should I expect throughout the event? It says there is entertainment and speeches and all this other stuff other than gaming itself.
    3) exactly what tournaments will be hosted? Basically, what should I practice and sharpen my skills at (this question pertains to and is completed in number 4)
    4) what game is/are these tournaments for? Is it just a huge Lan party for QuakeLive? Or the original game Quake 3? Quake 4? Do I need to go buy MWF3 or any other games for this?

If for some reason the admins on this site hate Quakecon and questions about I apologize for my lack of knowing that, I just want to be prepared, I just booked my plane ticket and hotel room half hour ago and don't want to go to this thing ill-prepared, I'd actually like to maybe perhapsably win one of the tournys :-P

Thanks, and I hope to see yall there. I plan on being a part of the entertainment if they'll let me (silly white rapper dude from Idaho, but I got a good sound and an impressive resume, so remember this when you go and say what's up to me - Talk$ick).

NOT - no1hasdis (that's my stupid email and QL wont let me change my name without creating a new profile)...
    real gamer tag is - TyKaKy = Took Your Kill And Killed You

Senior Member CeeLoGreen is on a distinguished road
    Mods are mods, some people make their own mods, and released it to the public for quake, 2 q3. ect.. unless you can make your own mod dont worry abot this one.

question 2. your spot on, too much stuff to do there. contests, vendors with new gadgets, and throwing out swagg to the attendees. Tournaments, Carmack usually makes a grand entrance and drops info to the community on future plans, and current projects.

tourneys, Duel, ctf, TDM of different team sizes. Some people will host individual tourneys on the Lan for stuff like for the insta ctf community, though it wont be associated with ID's tourneys. luck if there are any prizes for those, just bragging rights.

Bring what ever games you want to bring. Its more than just qlive or q3/4. All sorts of game servers will be on the lan for you to log into, of all different types of games.

you will have a good time, since its your first, it will probably seem a bit overwhelming the first day, and you will be lost. but dont worry. The volunteer staff is always kick ass, and makes it easy for you to get in, get seated, set up and on the lan.

Best advice for you, unless you play on a laptop, its pretty safe to leave your monitor and tower on your table, But I would take what ever external devices with you when you go back to your room...mouse/pad headsets.....w/e Someone ganked my mouse and ratz pad my second years attendance. Lesson learned the hard way. DO NOT FORGET YOUR ID CARD!!

Have fun. Ill be there too this year. Hook up with me, well go have a beer at the hotel bar, and chill during break times.

Dont stress, Like I said the volunteer staff makes it easy for everyone. Have fun, see ya there

*no1hasdis
    Totally bro. First round is on me since you're the first (so far only) person to respond and help me get my head wrapped around this thing. Really appreciate it, sad thing is I don't have my fast internet anymore, so all I can do is practice against nightmare bots 6on5 CA most of the time. But I'll start practicing the other stuff too, crappy part is I won't be super knowledgeable of the duel and ctf maps until I get there :-\ Guess I'll just have to rely on my aim and skills alone (I hate not having map knowledge, that in itself usually will separate the pro's from the just good players).

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by no1hasdis View Post
    1) Early registration page asks "do you want to participate in the MOD contest"...what the hell is MOD Contest?
    2) and mostly, what should I expect throughout the event? It says there is entertainment and speeches and all this other stuff other than gaming itself.
    3) exactly what tournaments will be hosted? Basically, what should I practice and sharpen my skills at (this question pertains to and is completed in number 4)
    4) what game is/are these tournaments for? Is it just a huge Lan party for QuakeLive? Or the original game Quake 3? Quake 4? Do I need to go buy MWF3 or any other games for this?
    1) Case Modding contest.

2) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._4543228_n.jpg + Alcohol + A lot of yelling + Being a part of the epic smoker's lounge. The most fun goes down there, usually after 2am.

3) The official tournaments will be QL Duel, and a team mode for QL. There are always loads of self-run tournaments. Anything from QuakeWorld, to CSS, to TF2, to Armagetron.

4) Predominately Quake and id games, but there are plenty of people playing other things, even consoles!

Hope this helps.
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Senior Member CeeLoGreen is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=Chibers;218973]1) Case Modding contest.

Oh completely forgot about that one. been 6 years since my last qcon. q3 was still popular and people were making mods for it at that time. Forgot about the case mods. Is the dude with the casket PC still showing up every year?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=quake...:10,s:61,i:309

I haven't seen him personally CeeLo, but that's amazing nonetheless
    #TATW

*no1hasdis
    Last question I guess because I can only get a certain level of quality type of practice against nightmare bots (even if I stack their team);

are the TDM, or CTF games of clans? Or can you make up a team right then and there? Do teams who need a player or two have like tryouts or anything? Cuz my aim has gotten to be damn near what it was when I was pwning l33t newbs back in '99, but I don't know anyone personally nor online, so I'm not in any clans (nor could I be). I practice all the maps as much as possible but bots take specific routes, and people master quicker routes. Which would make me a good pickup, but I won't know certain things other people know.

All I do know is if I win anything it will totally be out of left field. No one there has ever heard of me before, nor really seen me play. I've got maybe2-3 moths of hardcore nightmare bot destruction and pwning. I'm kind of nervous about dueling though. Thing about bots is that some are ridiculous with certain weapons. Like Xaero with the rail gun (almost always he will not miss), nightmare bot Hunter with LG is completely **, and anarki is pretty good with Rocket. Stack the teams with 2 Hunters, and rest anarki or whatever variation you come up with and that makes for near human practice (cuz everyone mostly uses Rocket launcher and LG, only thing is is sometimes bots miss, and other days, they dont, at all). I am getting really good at weapon switching too (which that and rocket jumping are 2 things bots don't really do; except LG runs out of reach so they will switch to RL). I'm rambling....thanks to whoever answers that question above.

Quote Originally Posted by no1hasdis View Post
    Last question I guess because I can only get a certain level of quality type of practice against nightmare bots (even if I stack their team);

are the TDM, or CTF games of clans? Or can you make up a team right then and there? Do teams who need a player or two have like tryouts or anything? Cuz my aim has gotten to be damn near what it was when I was pwning l33t newbs back in '99, but I don't know anyone personally nor online, so I'm not in any clans (nor could I be). I practice all the maps as much as possible but bots take specific routes, and people master quicker routes. Which would make me a good pickup, but I won't know certain things other people know.

All I do know is if I win anything it will totally be out of left field. No one there has ever heard of me before, nor really seen me play. I've got maybe2-3 moths of hardcore nightmare bot destruction and pwning. I'm kind of nervous about dueling though. Thing about bots is that some are ridiculous with certain weapons. Like Xaero with the rail gun (almost always he will not miss), nightmare bot Hunter with LG is completely **, and anarki is pretty good with Rocket. Stack the teams with 2 Hunters, and rest anarki or whatever variation you come up with and that makes for near human practice (cuz everyone mostly uses Rocket launcher and LG, only thing is is sometimes bots miss, and other days, they dont, at all). I am getting really good at weapon switching too (which that and rocket jumping are 2 things bots don't really do; except LG runs out of reach so they will switch to RL). I'm rambling....thanks to whoever answers that question above.
    I managed 9th-12th in the open duel last year. If you want we could play a couple of duels and you could use that as a comparison to the kind of competition there.
    #TATW

Senior Member TheGreen3astard has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    ya i saw the ads in my PAID game. / server. Whatever - is it SLOW-quake? do they have a 3astard Server comp?

let me know

zzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreen3astard View Post
    ya i saw the ads in my PAID game. / server. Whatever - is it SLOW-quake? do they have a 3astard Server comp?

let me know

zzzzz
    They have alcohol, social interaction, and Quake of all kinds.

They're winning.
    #TATW

+ Reply to Thread