+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switched from CRT to LED Screen

Member foLn is on a distinguished road

Question Switched from CRT to LED Screen

Today I received my new LED screen.
    I already was afraid how Quake will be on a LED screen, especially on a 16:9 screen...
    Everything is fine so far about the resolution. But the problem is that it now seems as if the FPS is dropping low sometimes. I guess this has to do something with the 60hz I now have instead of the 70hz. Maybe it just feels as if the fps drops low. I dunno... I cant check the fps atm. since my console key at my current keyboard is broken and changing the console bind in the repconfig doesnt work for some reason...

So, anyone here has experienced anything similar when changing screens (from CRT to LED/LCD) and can give me some advice?

Ill be thankful for any answer!

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    I went from a 23 inch viewsonic CRT to a 17 inch LG LCD and the best advice I can tell you is to play at native resolution. Every other r_mode felt "off" on the LCD where as I could play on any resolution I wanted on CRT and it felt fine in general.

Other than that I just advise you to play and play often. I'm sure you will notice some small differences but you'll get adjusted in no time. :~)
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    If you were playing on 1024x768 @ 70hz, for example, and then went to 1920x1080 LCD, it would require more resources (video memory, processing power, etc), so maybe your GPU is a bit too weak for this. Try a lower res, I think your should be able to change it from the menu.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen."

Member foLn is on a distinguished road
    its not because of the GPU.
    I checked the FPS now and they stay the same even at the points where it looks like they would drop lower.
    But I noticed it is only like that at 16:9 resolutions. If I choose a 4:3 resolution it runs smooth but of course deformed as ***.
    I guess I just need to get used to it...

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foLn View Post
    its not because of the GPU.
    I checked the FPS now and they stay the same even at the points where it looks like they would drop lower.
    But I noticed it is only like that at 16:9 resolutions. If I choose a 4:3 resolution it runs smooth but of course deformed as ***.
    I guess I just need to get used to it...
    Are you using SLI? I've heard of stutter issues in SLI despite the framerate being excellent.

+ Reply to Thread