+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Quake won't open

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    That strongly indicates a driver issue, the problem is that if it's not nvidia related it will be hard to track down without some sort of debugging. Did you happen to run the game enough to see if it was hardware accelerated? Like were your framerates really low? It would be better if they were imo because that points more towards nvidia.

There are a couple beta drivers that came after yours, the 320.49 one. Here's a link to the latest:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/64633

See if that has any effect on the problem.

Junior Member JEKTogl is on a distinguished road
    New beta drivers had no effect.

So where to from here? Is there a tool or console log I can look to to see what driver files are giving the error?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I will ask around.

A tool yes, a debugger.. I need to tinker with it to see how to use it first though :-)

Anything to try?

Quote Originally Posted by JEKTogl View Post
    Anything to try?
    I did ask around.

Sponge said that without an error it means the game exited successfully. I'm not totally convinced but w/e. If that's the case then he indicated that it means it is being closed by another program. This points away from a driver issue.

A debugger won't work in this case without the symbols which he can't give me. It will spit out mostly gibberish otherwise and would be very lucky to find anything useful.

Some things to try:

Can you disable your anti-virus temporarily? (MS security essentials or w/e)

Also try this in Firefox:

about:config in the address bar

Promise to be careful

Scroll down to dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and change it to false.

Then try the game and see what happens. If no change then switch it back.

Could you also try disabling DEP to see if that has any effect.

I was wondering too if you could screenshot the processes tab in the task manager (might require two pictures because need to scroll down).

I'm trying to figure out how one program can close another and under what circumstances that might occur and the best way to find out what's going on.

By chance have you ran malware bytes? If you have like an hour to kill I'd d/l + update it and run a full scan. See if it finds anything. Very very shot in the dark, but it's a good program to have.

Works in Firefox with dom.ipc.plugins.enabled set to false. Hooray! I would like to get it working in Chrome though. Is there some equivalent command I could use?
    Last edited by JEKTogl; 09-22-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEKTogl View Post
    Works in Firefox with dom.ipc.plugins.enabled set to false. Hooray! I would like to get it working in Chrome though. Is there some equivalent command I could use?
    I don't think so. I looked through about:flags but didn't see anything like this.

I think chrome just makes an instance for each plug-in and that is that, whereas firefox still supports plug-ins in an old-fashioned, in-browser sort of way by disabling the plugin-container.

Junior Member Ghosthree3 is on a distinguished road
    What exactly is the cause of this, he shouldn't have to disable the container at all. Fix the cause and I'm sure it'd work in chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthree3 View Post
    What exactly is the cause of this, he shouldn't have to disable the container at all. Fix the cause and I'm sure it'd work in chrome.
    We don't know the cause and it's difficult to find. Unless you have some ideas to contribute?

Junior Member KovaaK is on a distinguished road
    I'd like to mention that I ended up having the exact same issue as JEKTogl, and the Firefox setting of dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false fixed it for me in Firefox. Quakelive still doesn't run in IE9, Chrome, or QLPrism.

This all started immediately after a fresh install of 64bit Windows 7 (plus all of the proper Windows Updates, drivers, runtimes, java, etc). Hopefully this bump helps anyone else who gets this issue of the game closing immediately with no error!

+ Reply to Thread