+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spillway, Fatal Instinct & Old Crash map "Introduction"

Senior Member Smilecythe is on a distinguished road Smilecythe's Avatar

Spillway, Fatal Instinct & Old Crash map "Introduction"

Heres few nostalgia-map wishes and layout suggestions for the maps you saw in the title. Have a read/look and give me your thoughts.

"Spillway", aka. "dm2"

This map is fun, but there just that little something that turns this map into king of the hill kind of irritating camp pandemonium. All it needs is a one single bonus route to seperate campers from that camper nade-spam paradise:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2zhnzix.jpg

As for the visuals for the additional room, maybe it should follow the idea of the new name "spillway" with some sort of sewer-like look. And isn't that thing near the bridge a hatch, jailbars(??), gate or some sort of door to a sewer to begin with?

"Fatal Instinct", aka. "Uriel map"

http://i33.tinypic.com/zvbudx.jpg

Remember this? Yes.. Please "Quake Live" it. I enjoyed this back in the days in duel & instagib mods. For a little map, the mist which it had, made it feel very big. And looking at things now it's something that Quake Live doesn't have (if you overlook abysses). If it's still too small, then how about you turn it a bit larger and wider based on the same layout? That would be a winner. Plus we need more maps, aye?

"Introduction", aka. "the cool mirror map"

http://i36.tinypic.com/11t0pq8.jpg

Oh yeah, remember this too? I don't.. and I have problems at recalling what was the sole purpose of this. Oh thats right, remember the scary voice that encountered and half-forced you to step into that surveillance camera-like splashlight to beat the **** out of that techno woman you had an obvious crash on? That's the birthmoment for most of us who afterwards wasted a century at grawling in keyboard, spitting blood into monitors and raging at every single detail your subconsciousness could comprehend.

This piece of krapito with it's weak & simple layout wont work in Quake Live, right? It even got replaced with some neverheard hell'sgate remake. Well what the hell? Some little fixes and it could've been in Quake Live with full effect;

http://i38.tinypic.com/24cgzn9.jpg

I dont have any clue where the "mirror room" is, just had a hunch its somewhere there.

Now, why would we waste space for an old **** map like this? I think this would do a great job as a duel or a small cat fight map after those layout improvements I mentioned above and if you think harder you can even improve my improvement ideas for the sake of turning this into a playable map. Plus we need more maps, aye?
    Last edited by Smilecythe; 08-28-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    lol. interesting. i would love to see uriel's map in QL. i converted it a while ago but playing with bots is... well... playing with bots. not very fun. i think the ideas for dm2 are cool-ish, but i like it the way it is so i wouldnt want to change it

*KiteX3
    Your suggestion for Spillway is good in intent, but not in the method you chose about it. That pipe should not be a tunnel IMHO; instead, it would be better as a one-way or two-way teleporter leading to the RL room. That side passageway is not connected to the level enough to contain the Quad damage powerup, which would be much too easy to defend (bad for FFA); Quad there is also too close to Haste.

Vanilla Fatal Instinct is pointless IMHO. Fog's just a gimmick; if they worked the entirety of the tiny Fatal Instinct in as one arena of a larger competition-worthy map and figured out how to disable the fog for anything but FFA or 1v1CA, perhaps it would be acceptable.

Also, Introduction simply can't become a viable map; it's absolutely too small, even for Duel; it'd never work. I like the attempt, though, especially the geometry changes. I would actually put the RL in the original SG room, put a YA by original PG, leave the in-map YA, put MH at the startroom YA, and leave the SG where it was, keeping your geometry changes though. Why? Three items will make the map less controllable, which could be a problem with such a small map. Also, with your suggestion, the map is not well balanced with items; you could easily camp the hallway from the SG location with RL, and your opponent would have no weapon to fight back with but PG and MG because his entire half of the map is weapon-deprived. If you instead give the item-"weak" side of the map the good weapons, you'll give the down player more ability to contest for the wealth of the item-"strong" side of the map.
    Last edited by KiteX3; 08-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.

*INKEYZ
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenIgnition View Post
    lol. interesting. i would love to see uriel's map in QL. i converted it a while ago but playing with bots is... well... playing with bots. not very fun. i think the ideas for dm2 are cool-ish, but i like it the way it is so i wouldnt want to change it
    How can I convert some old Q3 maps to play with bot on Quake Live?

*Font4na
    the q3tourney5 maybe could be a good idea.
    buth i am not shure with the fog and the quad too close from haste.

Producer SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError's Avatar
    I would be all for adding a new route & room to Spillway, although we do want to keep it fairly small and simple as its considered a beginner's level.

Senior Member Smilecythe is on a distinguished road Smilecythe's Avatar
    As a teleport disliker I didn't really think about that what Kitex said. I think teleport from rox room to haste (and other way) would be perfect for Spillway.

Can you consider this, Sync?

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilecythe View Post
    As a teleport disliker I didn't really think about that what Kitex said. I think teleport from rox room to haste (and other way) would be perfect for Spillway.

Can you consider this, Sync?
    Yeah,sounds good.
    And add fatal instinct plus evil playground please....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

+ Reply to Thread