+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Linux] Cursor is stuck within QL window in fullscreen

Junior Member dietek is on a distinguished road

[Linux] Cursor is stuck within QL window in fullscreen

Hey all,

This bug has been irking me for a bit now -- Other games I have tried on Linux will completely release grab of the pointer when in the console (warsow, openarena, ezquake2) so I believe this is an application specific issue and not a system configuration issue. If anyone is able move their cursor beyond the fullscreen window with the latest ql linux client please let me know what your system details are.

Summary: Mouse pointer cannot leave QL window in fullscreen (Linux)

Steps to reproduce: Run quake live in a dual/multi monitor configuration. Use separate X screens for each monitor instead of TwinView (so that fullscreen mode uses a single monitor instead of attempting to use both). Enter the console by pressing "~". This releases focus of the mouse, however the mouse cannot move from the Quake Live window, or the monitor that Quake Live is running on. This prevents the user from controlling any windows that exist on another monitor while in QL fullscreen mode.

It would be really great if Quake Live did not have this limiation, so that a user could move his or her mouse to another monitor and control windows while QL is in console fullscreen mode. An example of a game that does not have this limitaiton is Warsow (which runs on Linux and is also Quake-based).

System Information:
    I've reproduced this in two different configurations:
    Config 1:
    Arch Linux 32 Bit
    ATI Radeon HD 3850 (with fglrx, the proprietary ATI driver)
    All X.org versions released in the last two years
    Firefox 3, Firefox 9 (could reproduce on various other versions)
    Config 2:
    Exact same as above except --
    Nvidia GT 520 (w/ nvidia driver)

I would be more than happy to follow up with any additional information to help get this issue resolved. It is my only gripe with Quake Live, and I would LOVE to see this finally get resolved. I understand a small minority of users are facing this issue, but it is a severe annoyance for the percentage of users that do.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    I'd rather see fast restart unlocked for Linux before fixing this You would Alt-Enter instantly to get the same mouse releasing effect, meanwhile others could finally Alt-Enter mid-game without breaking demos, to chat with people, invite them from friend list, or do stuff, whether they're on multi-monitor setup or not.

Linux isn't primary platform for QL so I wouldn't expect a fix too soon, but instead of dropping down console, have you tried binding a key to "toggle in_nograb"? Does this have the same limitation? Maybe with combination of toggling in_mouse/in_dgamouse even?

Junior Member dietek is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    I'd rather see fast restart unlocked for Linux before fixing this You would Alt-Enter instantly to get the same mouse releasing effect, meanwhile others could finally Alt-Enter mid-game without breaking demos, to chat with people, invite them from friend list, or do stuff, whether they're on multi-monitor setup or not.

Linux isn't primary platform for QL so I wouldn't expect a fix too soon, but instead of dropping down console, have you tried binding a key to "toggle in_nograb"? Does this have the same limitation? Maybe with combination of toggling in_mouse/in_dgamouse even?
    I tried toggling in_nograb, in_mouse, and in_dgamouse and they all have the same limitation in fullscreen. And I agree with you -- if you could quickly switch from fullscreen to windowed mode this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.

+ Reply to Thread