i have been T3 CA for about a year now. in the past few months i managed to play semi-decently in *some* T4 games, meaning my SR is around 70. around next year i will probably be locked out of T3 altogether;
i used to be able to drop a tier in FFA a long time ago, but no longer - i have too many wins and too high a SR.
of course there are T1 and T2 people. my mum, if she were to play quake, would be T1. my uncle who is a cool cat would probably make it to T2.
however people learn and get better.
of that T2 population, many will become T3 very rapidly. they will watch a few videos, read a few posts, maybe even download and install(!zomg) a custom cfg and blammo! they becomne T3, T4. *very* rapidly.
in the same way, people who join and have no clue what quake is all about will go to T2, the user pool gets replenished, and the process repeats.
i have about £2 in my bank. a lot of people do. but when i get my money at the end of the week the bank gets to keep it for about 3 days before i get it in my account. over thousands of accounts, this gives the bank a statistical capital pool it can draw from.
my argument is that there are practically no people who settle in T1 and T2; please do not be offended if i chose to not include in my sample the preteens, people who have monofocal vision, those who do not own a mouse, handicapped folks of all kinds, etc..
T1 and T2 are simply too easy to come out of. the amount of learning that one must do to clear T2 is simply next to nothing compared to what you need to learn between SR40 and SR70.
when you play consistently in T3 you will learn the following:
1) what you see is not what is happening; you learn AND learn to anticipate latency, invisible models, shots through walls, actions that occour before your eyes and brain can register them.
2) prediction of enemy moves AND their tactics, plus reading character behavious, such as crouchers vs jumpers, dodge patters, weapon usage.
3) geometry of the map AND your own spatial location awareness, enemy fov and likelyness of being actually seen by the enemy when their view is obstructed by other events. own dodge.
4) muscle memory. twitch aiming, spaz aiming of LG, tracking. plus weapon usage techniques, bouncing, confusing your opponent.
5) RJ, item timing, map control.
6) sound, tmm markers, impact marks.
7)all of the above for every enemy and tmm on the map. teamplay.
in T4 you learn tricking AND everything from T3 but better and faster.
what you need to learn in T1:
1) grab health baubles, armor, and rocket launcher.
what you need to learn in T2:
1) strafe jumping (no circle jumping, just that "go fastah" thingie)
2) shoot where they will be, not where they are. (or just spam)
3) if you are getting hit, move to the side.
in response to the bright minds below:
T1 and T2 people don't exist as anything other than a statistic. nobody who has at least reasonable motor functions will be in T2 for longer than say, a week, tops. ergo move the T1 and T2 population together in a *new* (old, there used to be one, but no longer) training area, and extend the newly found 3 tiers to divide the SR40-100 people in 2 groups.
as proposed a million times before and you guys have read these forums enough to know what i'm on about.
Last edited by iSuckz; 05-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.
I read your post, iSuckz, but I have no idea why you wrote it. What does it mean? Is there something wrong?
I think "iSuckz" was pulled away before he could finish his post. I'd wish he could get to the point.
got kicked into T3 and won with 170 ping... want to get to T4 back
well, apparently I shouldn't panic
got to T4 and I feel quite comfy somewhere in the upper half of the scoreboard. little practice makes wonders
still didn't figure out how to hit properly those jumpy green things that hurt me, but RL&LG slowly come back to me. got to handle RG&GL and it would be juuust peachy))
no way you got to handle GL, just no way. Unless you've got it down perfectly, when and where to spam A FEW nades because your anticipation of where an enemy could pop up is ~50% accurate and it's significant that he doesn't: Don't even use the GL, lol.
German RA3 since 2001 [p]lague, rdm team-radium, n!faculty, pRophecy
European CTF since 2009
Competitive? I beat friggin battletoads, get lost...
Censorship AND Infractions for inappropriate language? I think that's a bit redundant, try-hards
caught 2 nades today being in mid-air... maybe luck, maybe I fly too low
actually I would prefer gauntlet in some occasions rather than GL, it makes much more sense