+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A question about skill level.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iSuckz View Post
    there's two tiers in quake, T3 and T4. together they encompass 95% of the game's population.
    Wrong. T2 has as many active players as T4, by design.

Junior Member opti0nparalysis is on a distinguished road
    I was recently placed in T4 for god knows what reason. I've only been playing for like a month (mainly FFA) but the game decided that I was good enough to get destroyed every round lol. I went from pretty much winning most games to going like 15 -38 just about every game. Does it down tier you if you keep losing or am i just gonna have to get better or suffer constant defeat?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Yes, it will downtier you if you keep being one of the worst in your matches.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlin View Post
    Tier 1: my dog
    Tier 2: a bit nooby -> getting better
    Tier 3: normal people -> getting much better
    Tier 4: good quake player -> excellent quake player
    I think it's more like:

Tier 1: Playing with a steering wheel

Tier 2: Mouse and keyboard, but very new, can't really move and aim. Unlikely to have good equipment/good connection. Probably using the default config.

Tier 3: Can move and aim but only at a very slow speed/low accuracy. Poor weapon selection, no item timing/strategy, lousy positioning. Sure to get points/frags in a large player match because someone with low health is bound to come their way. Opportunistic, but cannot make anything happen. Can have medium to good equipment/connect, and usually has made some config adjustments to suit them.

Tier 4: "Normal" quake player, has basic positioning, can move and aim at medium speed/medium accuracy. Can still have poor weapon selection. Knows items are important and will make at least some effort to get them. Has something that works in regards to equipment/connect. Fairly personalized config.

--> Elite pro world champion whatever.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Wrong. T2 has as many active players as T4, by design.
    I wonder where they reside, then. Certainly not in T2 CA or CTF servers.

Senior Member iSuckz is on a distinguished road iSuckz's Avatar
    its lies. T2 players don't exist.

people get placed in T2, but they *very quickly* become T3 at least. NOBODY is such a spaz that T2 is where he is at and can't make it into T3.
    what you see as T2 population is just new accounts, people learn quickly enough, then leave.

Wrong. There are several players in my friendlist who are constantly in "Your skill too high" servers. Not "Your skill higher", "Your skill too high". This means either T1 or T2. And I'm not talking about T3 people tiering down on T2 servers on the gamemodes where they can either. I also hear there are players with hundreds of matches who are still in T1 (and should).

Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    I wonder where they reside, then. Certainly not in T2 CA or CTF servers.
    How would you know? You can't even see them in the server browser if your tier is too high.

EDIT: Right as I type, only two of my friends are playing. Both in the same T2 CA server with 6 other players.
    Last edited by FlashSoul; 05-11-2012 at 04:27 AM.

*sml411
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Wrong. There are several players in my friendlist who are constantly in "Your skill too high" servers. Not "Your skill higher", "Your skill too high". This means either T1 or T2. And I'm not talking about T3 people tiering down on T2 servers on the gamemodes where they can either. I also hear there are players with hundreds of matches who are still in T1 (and should).
    I'm almost certain their is no T1. People say they know players but cannot mention names or like you they "hear" of people in it. So if anybody knows of someone in T1 mention their name. It's not against the rules. I can say look at FlashSoul he's T4 or look at Strenx he's T4 so why not.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    My son is tier 1 CTF. It's funny to see that played -- all just +forward +attack the entire time. Autoswitch weapons, so they use whatever gun they just picked up until it runs out.

Honestly, though, once you stop walking past powerups and know how to switch weapons, you're T4 in FFA.

I pretty much agree with Lorfa's assessment above. The challenge is that those T5 players are all in T4 too, which makes T4 CA pretty much no fun. And keeps my win % in FFA in the single digits.
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

*sml411
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    My son is tier 1 CTF. It's funny to see that played -- all just +forward +attack the entire time. Autoswitch weapons, so they use whatever gun they just picked up until it runs out.

Honestly, though, once you stop walking past powerups and know how to switch weapons, you're T4 in FFA.

I pretty much agree with Lorfa's assessment above. The challenge is that those T5 players are all in T4 too, which makes T4 CA pretty much no fun. And keeps my win % in FFA in the single digits.
    As I said there is nobody in T1. Your son "was" but is no more and if I mis-read what wrote then what is his player name so we can see his stats showing T1.

+ Reply to Thread