+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A question about skill level.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar

A question about skill level.

After struggling through 20 matches I've been put in Tier 3, and this, IMHO, not what my stats say (stats really suxx). Even more, having some major experience in UT somewhere at 2000's, I know a strong player when I see one, being fragged in no time

So, how do I play those games, where I can make some more challenge rather then be a frag source?

Senior Member D_R is on a distinguished road
    Hmmm quite frankly tier 3 really is sorta lowskill around here. And with "major experience" from another (esp. another fast paced, non cs-one) fps sounds like proper placing in this (not exactly on point) system. Did you maybe play a mode where slight downtiering (ctf, tdm, duel) is possible? If so, the "strong player(s)" fragging you in no time might as well have been tier 4 (which is already the highest), maybe the worldchamp himself *lol*

So Answer if you really feel placed wrong (but remain ranked liked that):
    1) In a mode where downtiering is not possible (ffa, ca)
    2) In a mode where downtiering is possible, you could join "your skill higher" servers, meaning tier 2. The worst that can happen is other tier 3s join, but not 4s.
    German RA3 since 2001 [p]lague, rdm team-radium, n!faculty, pRophecy
    European CTF since 2009

Competitive? I beat friggin battletoads, get lost...

Censorship AND Infractions for inappropriate language? I think that's a bit redundant, try-hards

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Nope, I've played FFA only so far. I've been ranked Tier 4 at start, but in 3-4 days it lowered. Well, maybe I have to fix my straighthands.dll. Anyway, it's my first fast FPS in ten years or so...

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    FFA in unforgiving in so many ways, even Tier 3. Think of this as an opportunity to find weaknesses in your game and improve!
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

Senior Member iSuckz is on a distinguished road iSuckz's Avatar
    here is how it works, without the sugar-coating:

there's two tiers in quake, T3 and T4. together they encompass 95% of the game's population.

each of these tiers contains from the noobest to the awesomest in their tier. if you take a SkillRating 40 player (bottom of T3) and match him against a SR69 player (top of T3), the lower player will NEVER win. same goes for T4.

you might think that this sux, but essentially in quake you never win; all you do is get ready for the hurt in T4, maybe sprinkled with the occasional win in T3 here and there.

so, is it fun? well, it's really cool when it works. and when it does, win or lose, it doesn't matter that much.

/end

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    There's always a reason these things happen.

Strong players aren't using magic.

Senior Member tomlin is on a distinguished road tomlin's Avatar
    Tier 1: my dog
    Tier 2: a bit nooby -> getting better
    Tier 3: normal people -> getting much better
    Tier 4: good quake player -> excellent quake player

Senior Member Asuka_ is on a distinguished road Asuka_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlin View Post
    Tier 1: my dog
    Tier 2: a bit nooby -> getting better
    Tier 3: normal people -> getting much better
    Tier 4: good quake player -> excellent quake player
    Tier 1: like Bots (or just cant move)
    Tier 2: Learnin how to move and shooting in this game (cuz they come from CoD or something like this)
    Tier 3: Experience in Quake or a bit skilled.
    Tier 4: 40 yrs old who have been playing this game since 1999 (10 yrs atleast) OR cheaters.
    Last edited by Asuka_; 05-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Quake Live
    Asuka
    My Youtube

Senior Member tomlin is on a distinguished road tomlin's Avatar
    I guess it depends which mode we're talking about. I have no experience with other FPS's or PC gaming in general, and despite joining in 2010, I've only been playing this year really, but didn't find it too difficult to get into tier 4 for FFA and CTF (though do find it quite difficult to win in that tier). I don't have the skill or knowledge of a veteran nor do I cheat (I couldn't hack my way out of a wet paper bag with a chainsaw) I'm only just getting to grips with the console and only today did my first Bridge to Rail jump (after about 1000 tries lol). I'd imagine duels are a lot harder though - speccing some people in duels is really inspiring.

Senior Member Asuka_ is on a distinguished road Asuka_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlin View Post
    I guess it depends which mode we're talking about. I have no experience with other FPS's or PC gaming in general, and despite joining in 2010, I've only been playing this year really, but didn't find it too difficult to get into tier 4 for FFA and CTF (though do find it quite difficult to win in that tier). I don't have the skill or knowledge of a veteran nor do I cheat (I couldn't hack my way out of a wet paper bag with a chainsaw) I'm only just getting to grips with the console and only today did my first Bridge to Rail jump (after about 1000 tries lol). I'd imagine duels are a lot harder though - speccing some people in duels is really inspiring.
    lol well i was just jokin (even if its true) anyway FFA is a joke, where u can see the real level OF T4 is on CA and Duel.

CTF has PRO players also but u normally find medium-skilled players than totally PRO players In T4.
    Quake Live
    Asuka
    My Youtube

+ Reply to Thread