+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Super new to Quake, any bad habits I should NOT be getting into?

*ELAPIDAE
    Honestly, 99% about quake is all personal preference. Anyone claiming it's not has to wise up and stop jumping on the bandwagon.

When it comes to advice.. Most advice is also personal preference from the person giving the advice, sometimes it helps you, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still nothing but personal preference.

People recommend lower sensitivities, tho there have been people in the past and there are people in the present who have a very high sensitivity and are nothing less in terms of skill than people with a low sensitivity.

People recommend "low" fov settings, from 100 to 110, yet there are people with fov's lower than 100 and/or higher than 110, it's all personal preference, once you get that in your head you've saved yourself from a lot of unnecessary dilemmas and thoughts.

About the mouse2 keybind to jump.. I personally would steer away from that as the mouse is involved in the aiming part whilst moving as well and I feel like it's easier/more comfortable to turn 180 degrees when necessary whilst still going in the direction you were going and yeah.. It just feels way more comfortable, especially when you've got a ton of stuff to do at the same time movement/aiming/shooting wise. But, again, it's all personal preference.

There is one general advice I would give you.. Use QLPrism, it's a standalone program to launch quakelive with a ton of extra features, just go check it out.

Things regarding settings that are not personal preference but more like a must are the following:

cl_maxpackets 125 (you can use 63 if you want tho 125 is clearly more recommended)
    com_maxfps 125
    rate 25000

another thing I might want to add to that is the in_mouse command but some people rather play with the accel from their OS (when they're on windows 7 for example) but I would say in_mouse 2 is really a must, it's the raw input of your mouse without any settings from your OS affecting your mouse settings/sensitivity (for example the accel you get with windows 7). But like I said, some people rather play with other values with the in_mouse command, for reasons I cannot understand as I don't see anything positive about having your OS (referring to the accel ofcourse) affecting your sensitivity/mouse settings in-game.

About peripherals.. Avoid laser sensors when it comes to mice. Yes, rapha played with the xai, maybe even still does but honestly, laser won't ever be as good as optical, especially not when you're using a cloth mousepad (steelseries qck+, ss qck heavy, zowie GT-F,..).
    A lot of people recommend you to overclock your usb port when you use a mouse like the intelli 3.0 for example (I'm using one myself), you can do this, but then don't overclock it to 1000hz as 1000hz is unstable, go with 500hz, I personally sticked with 125hz (standard for the intelli 3.0) and it doesn't bother me in any way but yeah.. Just an important thing to know when you would decide to overclock your usb port for your polling rate from your mouse.

Keyboards, get a mechanical keyboard, they last longer and are of a way better quality than standard rubber dome/membrane keyboards. Also the anti ghosting and no key rollover features are a big + when you use a mechanical keyboard. What kind of key switch you use is entirely up to you. Some key switches feel lighter to press than others, some feel more stiff than others,.. You just need to try them out and decide for yourself.

Mousepads.. Plastic or cloth mousepads, it's completely personal preference. A friend of mine uses his table, a wooden table, he just made sure it was smooth and there, the guy didn't even need to spend money on a mousepad so.. It's really up to you, though I would recommend a mousepad of a reasonable size (qck heavy, zowie GT-F, puretrak Talent,..)

Monitors.. a 120hz monitor is really recommended, i don't own one myself (yet) but really, playing on a 120hz screen makes everything so much smoother and easier to aim, to keep track of your opponent,.. There are so many advantages to a 120hz screen compared to a 60hz/75hz screen..

Atm that's all I can really give as "advice".
    Last edited by ELAPIDAE; 05-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELAPIDAE View Post
    Honestly, 99% about quake is all personal preference. Anyone claiming it's not has to wise up and stop jumping on the bandwagon.

When it comes to advice.. Most advice is also personal preference from the person giving the advice, sometimes it helps you, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still nothing but personal preference.
    I don't think it is 99%, and even so without being exposed to different ideas it is hard to decide for yourself what works for you.

People recommend lower sensitivities, tho there have been people in the past and there are people in the present who have a very high sensitivity and are nothing less in terms of skill than people with a low sensitivity.
    There's a range of sensitivities that seem to work well for humans. Outside this range you will find very few good players if any.

The "low sens" advice tends to go to newer players since newer players tend to crank up their sensitivity outside the range.

People recommend "low" fov settings, from 100 to 110, yet there are people with fov's lower than 100 and/or higher than 110, it's all personal preference, once you get that in your head you've saved yourself from a lot of unnecessary dilemmas and thoughts.
    I've never recommended this. I recommend using between 90 and 110.

Out of something like 50+ pro configs from past and present all of them use fov values within this range.

About the mouse2 keybind to jump.. I personally would steer away from that as the mouse is involved in the aiming part whilst moving as well and I feel like it's easier/more comfortable to turn 180 degrees when necessary whilst still going in the direction you were going and yeah.. It just feels way more comfortable, especially when you've got a ton of stuff to do at the same time movement/aiming/shooting wise. But, again, it's all personal preference.
    I agree that it is personal preference, but the reason for mouse 2 jump is to make strafe jumping/trick jumps easier.

In games where movement is absolutely critical, such as quakeworld/cpm you see a huge trend in players using m2 jump. That tells me that humans in general will have an easier time performing the tasks in those games with that particular setup. In Quake Live however it isn't as critical so there are plenty of space bar jump players.

About peripherals.. Avoid laser sensors when it comes to mice. Yes, rapha played with the xai, maybe even still does but honestly, laser won't ever be as good as optical, especially not when you're using a cloth mousepad (steelseries qck+, ss qck heavy, zowie GT-F,..).
    Actually rapha just dabbled with the Xai. He never used it in a tournament, and as of the last major tournament he was still on the wmo.

A lot of people recommend you to overclock your usb port when you use a mouse like the intelli 3.0 for example (I'm using one myself), you can do this, but then don't overclock it to 1000hz as 1000hz is unstable, go with 500hz, I personally sticked with 125hz (standard for the intelli 3.0) and it doesn't bother me in any way but yeah.. Just an important thing to know when you would decide to overclock your usb port for your polling rate from your mouse.
    The IE 3.0 features the same sensor as the wmo. At 125 Hz its perfect control speed lowers to ~1 m/s, where at 500 Hz it increase to 1.55 m/s. It also makes it feel better. I strongly recommend using 500 Hz with the IE 3.0/wmo. With this particular sensor, 1000 Hz is not so stable. Other mice handle it just fine, in which case I think 500/1000 Hz is totally personal preference.

Keyboards, get a mechanical keyboard, they last longer and are of a way better quality than standard rubber dome/membrane keyboards. Also the anti ghosting and no key rollover features are a big + when you use a mechanical keyboard. What kind of key switch you use is entirely up to you. Some key switches feel lighter to press than others, some feel more stiff than others,.. You just need to try them out and decide for yourself.
    No doubt. Overclock has an excellent mechanical keyboard guide here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

Mousepads.. Plastic or cloth mousepads, it's completely personal preference. A friend of mine uses his table, a wooden table, he just made sure it was smooth and there, the guy didn't even need to spend money on a mousepad so.. It's really up to you, though I would recommend a mousepad of a reasonable size (qck heavy, zowie GT-F, puretrak Talent,..)
    I think using the desk is downright insane :-)

Would wear the surface off of your mouse feet, and the surface off of your desk. Not to mention high friction and potentially even lousy tracking.

*ELAPIDAE
    I've always used spacebar ever since q1/qw, then went right into defrag on q3 when the mod came about and I personally never really adjusted to the m2 method, for me it's like.. my left hand serves to press the jump key and my right hand (mouse obviously) serves as the guide for direction, did try the m2 method but yeah, I'm a spacebar freak.

about using the desk, my mate's been using it for years and hasn't complained even once yet so.. he's like why would I need a mousepad man, all I need is my desk haha. I personally can't even stand the feeling of moving my 3.0 over my desk but yeah, the guy's completely fine with it (and he plays inverted).

In the end it's all about what works for the person himself, even if it's downright insane in others' opinions. I even played quake with an mcom 3000 (mouse) for a couple of years and it's totally not suited for gaming, at least that's what I should say, tho it did the job for me haha

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Lots of QW players jump on space, with mouse2/3 (and even mouse1) bound to shooting with specific weapons instead.

Great defraggers use space for jump because they don't want their perfect strafing angles to be altered by pressing buttons. Some great aimers (notably tox, noctis) even shoot with keyboard...

The one and only reason to ever bind mouse2 for jump is for rocket jumping when you're an absolute beginner. Otherwise, it's like playing a single note on a guitar, you need both hands to do something at the same time, you can learn this in 5 minutes even if you've never done this before.

+ Reply to Thread