+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Super new to Quake, any bad habits I should NOT be getting into?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GauntletMan View Post
    Hum hum, I know what you mean but it's not clear: what's bad is to use the mousewheel to CIRCLE the weapon, as set by default and in most of games => you need a bind for every weapon, in order to be able to instantly switch to the weapon you need.
    Still, it does not mean you can't bind weapons on mousewheel (for exemple I have gaunt on down and machinegun on up).
    True. However, I still don't recommend using the mousewheel at all because a lot of mice have problems : their wheel will sometimes stay in an unstable state after use. This means that at some point it will roll randomly back or forth and trigger your bind when you don't want it.

About jumping : I use space.

Senior Member iSuckz is on a distinguished road iSuckz's Avatar
    i use mwheel to great effect - lots of times in FFA i run over a weapon dropped in the mess of exploding rockets (my first weapon after spawn) and regardless of what it is, mwheel up or down will get me that weapon, without me needing to look at ammo counter to see what i actually got.

my other binds: q - rockets / e - LG / f - plasma / c - BFG / r - rail / x - chain / z - prox
    still using 3 - SG and 4 - GL, should prolly change this since i screw up too often

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Bad habit to avoid : using mousewheel to switch weapons. Unbind it completely and use your keyboard.
    /bind MWHEELDOWN ""
    /bind MWHEELUP ""
    I use a combination between the mousewheel and binds and no one would know the difference unless I told them.

Senior Member belka_ is on a distinguished road belka_'s Avatar
    Dont get into habit of changing sens/accel seetings everyday. Just pick one setting you feel is the best for you and stay with it for ever.

As for the mouse pad, you have a very good one, i guess there is no point for you to change it. I would recoomend to get a good (gaming) mouse which doesnt have any tracking issues/has a good shape for your hand
    PLAY MORE belka_ STYLE

Also, (and someone will probably negative rep me again saying "lies" like they did the last time I posted this) "Gaming Gear" will only help out a small amount. Personally I'd recommend getting something that YOU can use, and not something that everyone else suggests that you use.

I do recommend a mouse pad though as you'll scratch your desk/etc like I have if you don't use one.

Just for clarification: I use a laptop and a wireless mouse and I'm in tier 4. Just throwing that out there as proof that it's not impossible to be good without "gaming gear"

Junior Member DubiousGeorge is on a distinguished road
    trust your subconcious. I've found over time that regardless of sensitivity, hardware setup, cfg, your brain will do it's best to work with it. Think about your shots at first, and then try to just play without thinking about aiming.
    A positive attitude and a rhythm is more important than anything else though in my opinion.

Junior Member DongWu is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Also, (and someone will probably negative rep me again saying "lies" like they did the last time I posted this) "Gaming Gear" will only help out a small amount. Personally I'd recommend getting something that YOU can use, and not something that everyone else suggests that you use.

I do recommend a mouse pad though as you'll scratch your desk/etc like I have if you don't use one.

Just for clarification: I use a laptop and a wireless mouse and I'm in tier 4. Just throwing that out there as proof that it's not impossible to be good without "gaming gear"
    I disagree, gear makes a huge difference. Doesn't mean you can't get good with shabby gear, but it will hamper you a lot. And I assume in almost every case you'd get significantly better if you had good gear. I would prioritize it like this:

1) Mousepad - big enough to allow low sensitivity if you use it, good quality so the mouse feels consistent. Doesn't have to be expensive.
    2) Monitor - fast with low input lag, 120hz is a nice bonus but maybe not worth the extra money
    3) Mouse - doesn't have to be expensive either. Intellimouse is very good and cheap. Afaik wireless mice has extra lag. Run it in 500hz.
    4) Keyboard, not a huge deal to me.

I used to think gaming monitors were a marketing ploy and I used my old dell 24" from 2005 (16ms+, high input lag). Then one day I tried playing a bit on my girlfriends computer. My LG aim increased about 5% from the get go with her monitors lower input lag.

To be honest T4 doesn't say a whole lot, I was T4 when I started playing this game and I sure as hell wasn't good.

Junior Member DongWu is on a distinguished road
    As for bad habits; I will co-sign the changing mouse settings habit. It's my worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by DongWu View Post
    3) Mouse - doesn't have to be expensive either. Intellimouse is very good and cheap. Afaik wireless mice has extra lag. Run it in 500hz.
    To be honest T4 doesn't say a whole lot, I was T4 when I started playing this game and I sure as hell wasn't good.
    The mouse input lag is so minimal that it's not noticeable. Also...you've never even played CTF (unless on an alias) so we're not even talking about the same gametype :P

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    Blablabla OP if youre not good, no amount of uber pads and mouses will help you.
    STRAIGHT FACT: Get a simple, standard mouse, definitely NOT wireless, get a large mousepad (though I know a lot of ppl who play on standard ones, depends on your sensivity) and adjust your config as described in countless threads here.

Two things you want to have:
    -green keels
    -125fps

Green Keels are a fav choice b/c their sounds are very distinct. And theyre green so theyre easy to spot from afar (trust me in some rail battles every pixel of you that pops out from cover MATTERS). Some ppl use Tankjr as that model fits more into the hitbox.
    See this for an example on how hitboxes look in QL and where to aim lol. http://www.derquaker.com/wp-content/...new_hitbox.jpg

125fps b/c without it you'll encounter massive visual discrepancy between your fire and hit report, and this will affect your accuracy and dodging IMMENSELY. So you will feel like I felt in 1999. We used to play like this and there are a lot of players who can adjust to ~60 FPS without any problems, but I for example feel extremely uncomfortable having less than 125fps. Guess when you're there, you're there.

Your ping is important. Stay below 60 if possible. Above 100 makes a lolable game (we played with pings like 300 in 1997, bot this is ancient history now and the world moved on so what the hell). Ping is the measured latency between your client sending data and server report. The longer it takes for the packets to reach the server and then retur to you, the bigger lag in-game. This can be a serious problem and can cause you to lose game badly.

Remember in QL:
    TDM:
    It's all about your team. Weapons and health do respawn but at an extremely slow rate. Keep in mind that you MUST stay with your team and be advised that the enemy will either camp a particular room or particular weapon/powerup spawnpoint. It's like a game of chess, albeit dynamic. In TDM kill matter much, but first you must get them. If your team is capable of controlling all major weapon spawns and get the PU(powerups), you're on your way to win the match. Also, killing enemy PU carrier won't net you a dropped PU. So don't chase enemy Quad carrier obsessively, even if you kill him you won't get anything out of it except for the kill. So remember to keep an eye on your team and do not stray. Also calculate your shots; if you deplete all your SG rounds and there is no SG available right now or it is camped, youre defenceless. Because of this, conserve MG ammo. You might need it.

CTF:
    In a REAL CTF, everyone has his place. Ppl defend, ppl keep mid, ppl support attackers, attackers attack (lol a great wisdom isnt it) and EVERYBODY PROTECTS YOUR FLAG CARRIER. Remember, when one of your teammates got the enemy flag, you must become his praetorian guard. Die if necessary to protect him. Because in CTF deaths/kills mean nil, flag captures (caps) are all. So keep your designated position and HELP THE FC. Also this means that if your FC is close aand/or you found a powerup or armor, teamchat him that you guard it for him. For example you running with REGEN might not help any1, but FC having that regen might survive those precious seconds/minutes till cap. Also, furnish your FC with weapons, guide him to any powerups/health/armor you can find. He must stay protected. Imagine it as some twisted VIP protection: He's the VIP, you're his bodyguards. Since your FC is the most wanted dude on the map, enemy team will descend on him with furious anger and all their might. Excercise strategy and protection.

CA:
    Running around without any strategy and not cooperating with the team will get you nailed fast. In CA you don't get anything besides what you start with, and while it might appear like a lot, your hp/armor will go down, down down when you pop into 2 dudes who know how to aim. Remember that this game is about STAYING TOGETHER (you can't kill your teammates by your weapon fire) and its about POSITIONING. Run around like a chicken and get surprise rails and then get shafted while you jump on that seemingly clear pad. ALSO remember: Rocketjumpng in CA is great for getting out of surprising situations and confined spaces, but up to a point. RJ too much, and you'll taste that old Quake adage that while in the air you're like a dopefish in the water. Sitting duck.

All of the above are team-based games. Generally not helping your team, not adhering to the rules and hints made by team captains, teamkilling, shouting expletives and behaving like a self-centered brat is the worst thing to do. It applies also to the insta CTF (iCTF)

FFA:
    In FFA almost everything is allowed. But calling ppl names, being extremely agressive and abusing them with bad words is a very bad habit. This gametype is Free For All. If you can win by camping - do it. If you can win by getting all Quads - do it. Its free for all and everybody for themselves, so nasty tricks, spam, hitting smb in the back and cheap shots - are allowed. Think about it as a real arena. Only one can emerge victorious :P This obviously does not mean that you should be abusive. Represent some manners and show them to those you kill. DO NOT believe any stupid guy who says that you should not "do this" or "do that" in FFA because it's "unclean". Every vet Q player will laugh at those statements. FFA is not meant to be clean. It's a dirty job.

Duel:
    This is a gametype where you'll encounter real maniacs. A dude learns a map for 10 straight years. He becomes excellent on it. you die as soon as you start playing. Rinse, repeat. In duel you must learn as much as you can about the maps, shortcuts, and item timings. Because having or not-having that mega or red armor means life or death more often than not. So no timing, no proper map knowledge, and using wrong weapons are the biggest sins there. Also, remember that you will encounter people who outclass you by 2347839765965245122300000x simply by the law of "practice makes perfect". Like I said, duel breeds real predators who will hunt you down with robotic precision. So don't get offended by getting beat. Worst thing you can do in a duel is to call smb names. you can't take it, face it. Be a man.

Two things dude, both in QL, any game and in life:
    -You see whether smb is a real man not by how he wins, but how he loses.
    -If you cannot counter somebody's tactic, think how to do it instead of calling him names.
    -Making friends is good.
    -Making enemies worse, but inevitable.
    -Remember this is just a game.
    -Quake and bake.
    Last edited by Lolzy; 04-30-2012 at 02:59 AM.
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

+ Reply to Thread