+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slackware64 13.37 and "Awaiting Gamestate"

*tomo_s

[SOLVED] Slackware64 13.37 and "Awaiting Gamestate"

When I try to connect to any server the "Awaiting Gamestate" screen appears and nothing happens. I can play only practice for single player. I don't have any ports blocked by firewall.

root@tomo:/home/tomo# iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

My router works fine because I can connect to QL servers from my second computer with kubuntu. I've tried firefox and qlprism and few plugin reinstallations without any results.
    My system is Slackware64 13.37.

Maybe you can help me with my problem?
    Last edited by tomo_s; 04-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    You say no port is blocked by firewall, but are you really 100% sure? It really looks like it. Can you deactivate completely any firewall that may be in the way to test it?

*tomo_s
    I don't use any firewall script. Iptables modules are not loaded at the system startup.

My router configuration looks good because QL works on my Kubuntu netbook without any problems. It also means that my Internet Service Provider doesn't block any ports.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Well I don't think I can help you, then. It seems like the handshake never happens because your gamestate requests never reach the server or the server's response never reach you.
    I'd join #quakelive (IRC Quakenet) if I was you to meet sponge and try to debug it with him to see if the issue is server related. Good luck.

*tomo_s
    Maybe somebody can advice me where can I find some logs or other QL messages generated during connection?
    I haven't found anything interesting in the /var/log files.
    error.log from ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3 contains following informations (I can't find anything helpful):

Quote Originally Posted by error.log
    =========== ERR_FATAL REPORT =========
    opened Alsa PCM device default for playback
    device buffer size: 2208 frames (8832 bytes - 100ms)
    period size is a power of two - good
    period size set to 16 frames - 2^4
    allocated a mix buffer of 16384 frames (65536 bytes - 743ms)
    --------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------
    ----- Sound Info -----
    sound system is muted
    1 stereo
    32768 samples
    16 samplebits
    1 submission_chunk
    22050 speed
    0xed54000 dma buffer
    No background file.
    ----------------------
    Sound memory manager started
    Loading dll file ui
    Sys_LoadDll(ui) found **dllEntry** at 0x7f65107b8140
    Sys_LoadDll(ui) succeeded!
    Sys_SetModuleOffset: ui 0x107b8140
    UI menu load time = 611 milli seconds
    UI menu load time = 335 milli seconds
    34 bots parsed
    --- Common Initialization Complete ---
    Opening IP socket: localhost:27960
    Hostname: tomo
    IP: 127.0.0.1
    217.26.209.54:27018 resolved to 217.26.209.54:27018
    Waiting for authentication.Disconnected from server

Senior Member crogeek is on a distinguished road crogeek's Avatar
    Turn off itables firewall and problems will be solved.
    There's no better place than (127.0.0.1) HOME. . .

QUAKE 2 INSTAGIB WILL STAY FOREVER IN MY MEMORY (1997 - 2002)

*tomo_s
    As I mentioned before I do not use any firewall. There is no default firewall script in slackware. I didn't add anything concerning firewall after the system installation.

I'm also sure that Iptables modules are not loaded and iptables process are not running.

There is no results when I'm looking for loaded modules or running process containing 'table' string.

lsmod | grep table
    ps aux | grep table
    So I think that my problem is not dependent on firewall. It must be another reason.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    MTU setting? Some IDS maybe (anything that could see a packet and drop it based on contents)? Or maybe even restart router, doesn't matter that it works for another computer (some stale tracked connections or something like that can still happen for one computer on the network only). Otherwise use any sniffer (like `tcpdump udp`) to see how the process of connecting differs between your two machines, that can help you find the cause.

*tomo_s
    I have tried router restarts and tcpdump sniffing without any results. But my MTU has been to low. Increasing MTU solves my problem. Thank you very much Lam for the helpful advice.

EDIT:
    Maybe I should explain some details for non-advanced slackware users. DHCP daemon decreases MTU value. To avoid it one should comment line
    option interface_mtu
    in /etc/dhcpcd.conf so it should be:
    #option interface_mtu

It should be enough because default MTU value is 1500. If one wants to change it manually, one can set it by ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500 command (ofcourse eth0 and 1500 can be replaced by appropriate values).
    One can also set MTU in startup scripts. One should edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf and add line MTU[0]=1500 in section concerning the appropriate interface (the number in brackets denotes number of the network interface).
    Last edited by tomo_s; 04-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Junior Member xzr5678 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo_s View Post
    I have tried router restarts and tcpdump sniffing without any results. But my MTU has been to low. Increasing MTU solves my problem. Thank you very much Lam for the helpful advice.

EDIT:
    Maybe I should explain some details for non-advanced slackware users. DHCP daemon decreases MTU value. To avoid it one should comment line
    option interface_mtu
    in /etc/dhcpcd.conf so it should be:
    #option interface_mtu

It should be enough because default MTU value is 1500. If one wants to change it manually, one can set it by ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500 command (ofcourse eth0 and 1500 can be replaced by appropriate values).
    One can also set MTU in startup scripts. One should edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf and add line MTU[0]=1500 in section concerning the appropriate interface (the number in brackets denotes number of the network interface).
    tomo_s many thanks for the mtu info i have had exactly the same problem, ofc i have checked everything router/ports/iptables/this and that/.... LOL even diging deep with Wireshark in the network o_O this was so f**ing frustrating. if i have boot up m$-win7 i was able to play but in linux "Awaiting Gamestate..." for ever! The MTU change solved it, THX!. How you found out it is the MTU size that cause it ? I was seaching for a solution long long time and was not able the fix it.

+ Reply to Thread