+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fov and sens

Hybrid View

Junior Member chetkiy is on a distinguished road

fov and sens

does anybody know if theres any formula that corelates fov and sensitivity. i play with fov 100 but with lg i use fov 80 but want to find the sensitivity so that it feels the same.

*kadle
    The +zoom command tries to do this for you.

You can use cg_zoomfov and enable zoom while wielding the lightning gun. If you are still not satisfied, you will have to experiment.

Best Regards
    Kadle

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    +zoom does this, it multiplies the sensitivity by k, where k =

arctan[ 0.75 * tan[ cg_zoomfov degrees / 2 ] ] / arctan[ 0.75 * tan[ cg_fov degrees / 2 ] ]

So if you wished to calculate it manually here is an example:

sensitivity 4 at fov 100, at fov 80 is 4 * 0.7701 = 3.0804

See here for the calculation.

Junior Member chetkiy is on a distinguished road
    thanks lorfa. i just wonder where did u get the formula

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetkiy View Post
    thanks lorfa. i just wonder where did u get the formula
    Per injx on ESR.

Member inertiacreeP is on a distinguished road
    i have to necro this.

I used Lorfa's calculations as well as Kyto's calculator which I got from esreality... I used them for cg_zoomsensitivity numbers, and neither felt at all natural or familiar at 22.5 zoom FOV, I had to throw my arm around to look anywhere. I'm using 800 cpi/2.25 sens/90 unzoomed FOV.

My intuition figured if I could get the same cm per 360 in both FOVs, it would feel natural. It wasn't! lol at 22.5 FOV the screen moved stupidly fast. But isn't that how a real sniper scope would work... minor adjustments in your body can drastically change what you see in the scope?

I wanted to make it so I was always practicing the same muscle memory at 90 and 22.5 FOV but I don't understand how it's possible, the perspectives are too different. As a result I don't understand the point of the calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by inertiacreeP View Post

I used Lorfa's calculations as well as Kyto's calculator which I got from esreality... I used them for cg_zoomsensitivity numbers, and neither felt at all natural or familiar at 22.5 zoom FOV, I had to throw my arm around to look anywhere. I'm using 800 cpi/2.25 sens/90 unzoomed FOV.

My intuition figured if I could get the same cm per 360 in both FOVs, it would feel natural. It wasn't! lol at 22.5 FOV the screen moved stupidly fast. But isn't that how a real sniper scope would work... minor adjustments in your body can drastically change what you see in the scope?

I wanted to make it so I was always practicing the same muscle memory at 90 and 22.5 FOV but I don't understand how it's possible, the perspectives are too different. As a result I don't understand the point of the calculations.
    It cannot be identical in terms of hand-eye coordination since view angles are being displayed on-screen differently.

The point of the zoom calculation is to maintain the same "feel" at both fovs. The calculation used by zoomsens 1 is the best way to go about this.

If you find the effect too jarring at zoomfov 22.5, I suggest either raising the zoomfov, or if you like, you can use zoomsens > 1 to increase your sensitivity while zooming.

So you're saying cg_zoomsensitivity 1 is the best for a similar feel?

Hm... then what is calculated in your math formula and Kyto's calculator?

Quote Originally Posted by inertiacreeP View Post
    So you're saying cg_zoomsensitivity 1 is the best for a similar feel?
    Yes.

Hm... then what is calculated in your math formula and Kyto's calculator?
    I don't understand the question sorry.

oh, I reread it and I think I understand.

so +zoom will change the FOV, and then the OP will be using 3.0804 sensitivity while zoomed in instead of 4, correct?

If that's correct, I was wondering how ID Software decided on that particular formula to maintain the "feel". Think it might involve some programming knowledge to understand though.

I wanted to play other FPS games that had sniper scopes, and was hoping if they didn't have a similar way of handling zoom FOV/sens that I could try to emulate it by having my zoom FOV as 22.5 (QL default) and a similar zoomed in sensitivity as QL. But not all games will let me tweak those parameters so I might just have to get used to their engine.
    Last edited by inertiacreeP; 01-19-2013 at 02:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread