+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something wrong with QL sound?

Junior Member dkt is on a distinguished road

Question Something wrong with QL sound?

Took a break for a few months, came back recently. Ever since I've come back, the sound in this game seems extremely messed up. I'm using the same headphones and everything I was before, but I always hear people above me or something when they are below me or vice versa. Sometimes I don't hear certain things at all.

What am I missing?...

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    It hasn't changed since it started, people have complained about those issues since the begining, somehow it didn't seem apparent in Q3 though the developers say the sound system hasn't really changed.

I was told a long time ago by someone John Carmack said the sound in QL was really broken, but I have never actually found a source for that.

Do check you havn't just got your headphones arround the wrong way though
    Last edited by Yakumo; 03-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Senior Member stownr will become famous soon enough stownr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    I have actually has this issue for that very reason lol!!! op im not saying you do, i just found that funny

Senior Member dj is on a distinguished road dj's Avatar
    dkt? lol srsly u? you should know the proper commands man! whats happened to you man, theres some awesome vids of you on youtube but watching you play dahang the other day was painful.
    Im not sure whats going on with your sounds, but it seems like you probably have your headfones the wrong way around, and if i am mistaken, then i have absolutley no idea.

Senior Member navigaator is on a distinguished road navigaator's Avatar
    Well, if he actually does have headphones wrong way around, which I doubt, you still don't hear the sounds coming from up when they actually come from below you.

Member Aeol is on a distinguished road Aeol's Avatar
    You're not using experimental DKT Headphones are you?!? Jokes.

On a serious note, I've had some discussion on this topic before and some people reckon that sound is completely 2d, as in there's no height. I beg to differ because I can hear where they come from all the time albeit up or down. Maybe it's just my brain playing tricks from just expected knowledge of their position.

Something the bugs the hell out of me is sometimes item pickups don't play their sounds so you hang around like a ******* waiting for it to spawn and/or if someone is on an item you don't know they picked it up in mid-fight.
    "Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker."

Senior Member iSuckz is on a distinguished road iSuckz's Avatar
    LOL. well what annoys me is that sometimes i eat a rocket and my model doesn't play the effin hurt sound, and i got charging thinking i'm still 200/100.

srsly, QL has problems when large number of sounds have to play together, i did not notice this happening a year back but maybe that was just my being nooob - but i notice it happening a lot lately. (easy when u play 8v8 CA - and it's not my ears at fault, it's the game)

added: FYI one of my secret perversions is listening to music, multiple songs at the time (no joke); pls don't tell me i can't hear it. all my past music / acoustics teachers would get very cross

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    in QW times there was a command that swapped stereo left/right, but this doesn't exist in QL so that isn't the problem, your OS settings can do this though, so go through the sound control panel and check the headphone settup

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iSuckz View Post
    LOL. well what annoys me is that sometimes i eat a rocket and my model doesn't play the effin hurt sound, and i got charging thinking i'm still 200/100.

srsly, QL has problems when large number of sounds have to play together, i did not notice this happening a year back but maybe that was just my being nooob - but i notice it happening a lot lately. (easy when u play 8v8 CA - and it's not my ears at fault, it's the game)

added: FYI one of my secret perversions is listening to music, multiple songs at the time (no joke); pls don't tell me i can't hear it. all my past music / acoustics teachers would get very cross
    The 2 sound-related issues in QL that I have are nailgun and the flag not saying the enemy has it. Nailgun accentuates the sound and all I can hear are all the stpuid nails bouncing off the walls. I asked SyncError a while ago why this was and IIRC it's becaues the nail entities are all different so each one does their own sound. This means that getting hit by nailgun makes my sound get really quiet and then becomes a hassle. The "enemy has your flag" not playing also annoys the heck out of me. Some people have this issue while others don't. I played a game yesterday where the sound didn't play and all of a sudden I saw a person leaving out high with the flag and I had no clue they even had it to begin with. I ended up attempting to chase them, but they still got the capture.

If these 2 issues were fixed I'd have no problems with the sound (Or at least I wouldn't think I would...but I'd probably find some other issue that isn't as prominent)

Senior Member clashie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    It hasn't changed since it started, people have complained about those issues since the begining, somehow it didn't seem apparent in Q3 though the developers say the sound system hasn't really changed.

I was told a long time ago by someone John Carmack said the sound in QL was really broken, but I have never actually found a source for that.

pretty sure that was arQon, not big JC.

it was completely overhauled in CPMA and sounds about a billion times better.

+ Reply to Thread