+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Countering the railgun - How do I do it?

*TARDISES

Countering the railgun - How do I do it?

I'm finding it almost impossible to do well in a game because almost everyone uses that weapon. I consider it the weapon of cowards and since I do not wish t obe a coward I refuse to use it myself. So my question is this; How do I fight these cowards (my opinion of them) without being one myself?

(Using railgun = not an option, in case I didn't make that clear)

I know there are maps without it, but very few people seem to play them >_>

I'm not exactly a newcomer to the game - Quake and Doom are the FPS games I will quite happily play, even - but I don't know how it's meant to be done without sinking to their level.

*Gabriel_Ruan
    I'm sure someone on ESReality can help you. You should ask there.
    Last edited by Gabriel_Ruan; 03-08-2012 at 04:03 PM.

*TARDISES
    ...That.... doesn't help whatsoever. I don't even know what you're talking about

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Well,

- don't get into situations where you need a railgun (long distance fights)
    - be unpredictable/dodge properly
    - spam rail spots with RL/PG/GL (good plasma spam will make it hard to rail you in most spots)
    - change distance or flank them

If someone is just abusing the rail, its easy to counter (in theory, can be effortless if he's too good and you're too bad). If someone is just playing the game, the railgun is part of it. There will always be rail battle situations (like on t7 when you're at GL and enemy comes from LG) where you put yourself at a disadvantage by not using the rail. Your decision, but also your fail for getting into that siuation.

tl;dr: shaft**** them and start hitting the exit rail!
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

*TARDISES
    I guess the problem is I can't dodge for ****?

...In various shooter genres (which is all of 2), I'll add (Y HALO THAR FAILURE TO 1CC TOUHOU GAMES.)

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TARDISES View Post
    I'm finding it almost impossible to do well in a game because almost everyone uses that weapon. I consider it the weapon of cowards and since I do not wish t obe a coward I refuse to use it myself. So my question is this; How do I fight these cowards (my opinion of them) without being one myself?
    First of all this perspective is bananas. The game is the game, there are no strategies that are 'cheap', just ones that work and ones that don't.

It's a natural tendency for losing players to consider what their opponent is doing as "cheap" in order to soften the pain of losing. In reality there is no such thing, short of cheating of course.

That being said there's a few things you can do. One is to work on dodging of course. Make it a point to be dodging side to side when the enemy is trying to hit you and not back and forth. Decrease/increase the speed of your zig zags.

Avoid open areas, and if you are seen try to make it in close range where the rail won't be as effective compared to say the RL/LG.

Avoid the most obvious speeds/paths when going from A to B. A lot of players have common shots memorized and they will hit these with a very high accuracy.

If you know an enemy is good with the rail, control it. Try not to let them pick it up, or if they do make sure they incur a damage penalty in doing so.

Make use of your walk key if in a situation where you wish to peak out from on top of something something at a railing player below. That way they cannot position their shot by your footsteps.

Do a fake, as in peak out of a corner and get them to fire their rail, now they will be temporarily vulnerable during the reload time.

Move around the map quickly. It is more difficult to hit a player who moves faster since there is less time to take aim.

Senior Member iSuckz is on a distinguished road iSuckz's Avatar
    ill give you my 2 cents.

1) you are facing a bad player with a railgun.
    solution: in CA, charge with RL and bounce him, or PG him to death. med range just LG him. whats he gonna do, hit you for 80 dmg ?
    in FFA, dodge, hide, wait him out, contersnipe with MG, out-rail him.
    in Duel, hide, dont walk where he can hit you, and get a railgun of your own ASAP. rail wins duels.

2) you are facing a good player with a railgun.
    out-rail him.
    none of the above works with a decent player because they are not going to let themselves be found with their pants down (i.e with the rail still out). if you are brave enough and you are playing CA then you can RJ to his face and maul him with rockets, before he can do enough damage to kill you.
    but probably he will also have RL out by then. at which point you will need .. wait for it .. wait for it ..

teamwork.

3xLG win against rail. also 3xRL wins against rail.
    just don;t get caught in almost lost with 3 railers each in the right tactical position .. cuz then your life expenctancy is about 3 seconds. less in T4.

*DrewPWiener
    The game is about getting the better position in most fight. RG works best at long distances since it is hit scan. It is also best to use it when your visibility to other players is low so you can spend more time lining up shots. As was already mentioned, you can usually close the distance on novice players doing this and frag them with a more appropriate weapon. More experienced players, however, will be proficient with most or all weapons.

I gather that you do not like the RG, but it is one of the most used weapons for a good reason. By considering the RG not an option, you are just handicapping yourself. Yet if you want to do that, I suggest getting very good at movement. If you can fly around the map while moving erratically, you should be able to dodge most rails.

*Gabriel_Ruan
    Quote Originally Posted by TARDISES View Post
    ...That.... doesn't help whatsoever. I don't even know what you're talking about
    I want you to post this thread here.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel_Ruan View Post
    You ESR fans must be really desperate... lol
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

+ Reply to Thread