+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For The Veterans

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    arthur, i guess u dont see sarcasm in either my or nordags post.

serious question: are you trolling or?

Senior Member navigaator is on a distinguished road navigaator's Avatar
    The leaderboards were what was wrong with this game.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    There used to be leaderboards, but they were disabled.

I think it was because the processing to generate them was a heavy load on the system as it's constantly processing updates from thousands of users all the time as it is.

But they were also either easily exploited (play 1 game, only fire once, quit account = win accuracy) or entirely time based, so people coming in months or years after others had about zero chance of ever getting in the top few thousand.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post

I think it was because the processing to generate them was a heavy load on the system as it's constantly processing updates from thousands of users all the time as it is.

But they were also either easily exploited (play 1 game, only fire once, quit account = win accuracy) or entirely time based, so people coming in months or years after others had about zero chance of ever getting in the top few thousand.
    I miss them too. Easy way to see how you're shaping up against your friends, and lots of nerdy stats like average frags per game that you could use to measure your own progress. But that's a very good point about new players never making it up the list; it would be a bit demoralising.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    entirely time based, so people coming in months or years after others had about zero chance of ever getting in the top few thousand.
    I remember in the last days of leader boards, default view was "last month". You could of course switch to "career" time frame, but to get on the default ones, you would need to just start playing a lot for 1 month. Very good middle ground.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Yes. I'd forgotten that - you could filter by country for the last seven days so it didn't look quite so terrible.

Member Arthur_Reed is on a distinguished road Arthur_Reed's Avatar
    I understand it having strain on the system... but everything else seems like it could have just used a tweak. The way players were ranked, that is. Weekly, Monthly, Yearly, and overall. That way new players don't get discouraged about never shaping up; because they always have that chance to fight for weekly, and even monthly! As far as win accuracy goes-- maybe there just needs to be periods of probation. So even if someone manages to win say, 30 in a row to have top win%; they will disappear from the score board if in-active, and maybe come back after they go through their next probation? After all... wouldn't this be a good way to track hackers? (Obviously having Moderators monitor the Leader boards)
    Last edited by Arthur_Reed; 02-27-2012 at 02:52 AM.
    ...I love Frags-- but, that doesn't make me a Frag. If you don't understand this; than you're a Frag

Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    people played for stats like it was real money back when there were Leader boards, glad they're gone.
    Where's the sarcasm? ... and, I ignored the part about vehicles in Quake Live in Nordogs post! xD No, I didn't notice until just now. I will have the last laugh when I finally make it on the QuakeLive team... Once I get through school, (which is soon) and have something impressive to put on paper...
    ...I love Frags-- but, that doesn't make me a Frag. If you don't understand this; than you're a Frag

*Pier4R

Simple solution, copy from chesscube leaderboards (man, that site is great to attract to play chess).
    Leaderboards are based of stats of the current day and only some people are ranked (who play enough in the day). So, no need to cheat with new account since leaderboard will be based on stats of the last 24 h.

Quote Originally Posted by Pier4R View Post
    So, no need to cheat with new account since leaderboard will be based on stats of the last 24 h.
    But people who hack, (which usually happens more than once daily-- would always be at the top.

+ Reply to Thread