+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Training Is Boring, Unless You Have Someone To Do It With! *MUST READ*

Member Arthur_Reed is on a distinguished road Arthur_Reed's Avatar

Training Is Boring, Unless You Have Someone To Do It With! *MUST READ*

Hey there guys/gals... this is my first forum post; so please, be kind. I still do not understand the formatting 100% yet-- but I'll get there.

So, I was in a server a while ago, and we were practicing our jumps... "Hey, can you do this"... "Yeah, try this!".
    Then we got to talking about the Training Maps.
    Everyone in the server, and everyone else I've talked to about this-- agreed on 2 things. 1. They were all remotely easy-- except the last one. 2.It was fun, but so lonely! Where's the social aspect?
    Precisely.
    We want to 'Get-Good' while obtaining that social aspect.
    I will quit babbling... here's what we agreed on:
    IDEA#1: Why not make Training maps, a Game Mode on it's own?
    Explanation: Well, it's simple really. Create servers that can hold x amount of players-- and have Call-vote for various Training-style maps.
    Wouldn't you love to "Reach greater heights" with all of your Quake Buddies?
    (This would mean, the Quake Live team needs to get on making more Training maps)

IDEA#2: Make it somewhat like a Dev-Pick. Any assigned Training map, with no Call-Vote feature.

IDEA#3: I will start by saying, I /REALLY/ like this idea.
    The idea is, (and this could be mixed with either of the first 2), that it's a RACE! Yes, who can complete the Training Map the fastest?! Although, I think 8 players fighting for 1st, would get a little Cluster-****ed.

Ultimately, I feel adding another 'Game-mode' would improve Quake Live, as well as bring more players/keep more players at the same time... lets not beat around the bush; the servers aren't what they used to be... people are coming & going/leaving all together every day... Lets take a chance, take a risk, and try to get more traffic on this beautiful game!! Let's face it... no one likes to play a 'dry' game... so to speak. We want something new, something fresh, something exciting!

Oh, did I mention the best part? This new game mode, could potentially be another reason to go Premium/Pro. More temptation for standard players to up their game, and dish out a buck!

Each idea is great. Personally, I think the #1, and #3 idea is best... what do you think?

*IMPORTANT NOTICE*
    I do hold copy rights to my idea. My name must be incorporated in a way that I agree upon. I'm a laid back guy, even the servers being named after me would tickle my fancy! ;D Maybe make a floating ad with my face on it? I don't know, be creative! ;D

Also, if anyone associated with Quake Live, and decision making reads this. (For some fat chance) Please know, I have MANY great ideas for the game; and they've all gotten really great feedback from the north American community.

Also, if anyone wishes to share their Training maps they've created-- this is the place to do so... thanks for reading.

-Art

#Bump 4 A Better Tomorrow!! ...In Quake Land!!~
    Last edited by Arthur_Reed; 02-07-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    If you do this, please disable collisions between player models. Unless you want people to all run into each other in the training maps and constantly fall because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    If you do this, please disable collisions between player models. Unless you want people to all run into each other in the training maps and constantly fall because of it.
    I thought about this, FlashSoul... maybe for non-competitive game-play, collisions could be turned off... (With Multiple players), but for ranked game-play, I think it's only fair to have it on. (Assuming it's 1v1)
    Obviously there will only be certain weapons... I.E: RL,PG,GL,MG,Gauntlet. None of which should do any damage... they should however have push-back.
    I also want to add that there should be single-trials.
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...189#post197189
    ^^ Where your time for completion is recorded.

Thanks for the reply~
    -Art
    Last edited by Arthur_Reed; 02-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.

*Test_rUN_
    I've honestly thought about this!! Me and my friends have talked about how we wish we could join 'practice mode' together... I like the way you execute your idea-- good post, great read. Hope someone see's it and actually implicates it :s

*ID_CrashDummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_rUN_ View Post
    I've honestly thought about this!!
    Same. It excites me to think about new game modes. I think that's exactly what this game needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Test_rUN_ View Post
    I've honestly thought about this!!
    Ha, there's actually a lot more people interested in this than I initially assumed... in every server when it's brought up, 90-100% of the players in the server say that it's a "Good Idea", or that they've "thought about it before", or that they'd "play it everyday, forever, as long as the maps are long enough, and challenging" xDD! I agree. Instead of making several small training maps, make 1 big one at a time. Also, tell me if this is a good idea: Put the weapons that you need to surpass some of the further obstacles, Rl,PG,Gl... should all be in a hard to reach place as you go through the map... and you must get it, to pass the upcoming obstacle(s). So, if you're lazy, and avoid it-- you will not make it much further. I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants this idea to be a reality!!

Thanks for the posts. Spread the word~
    -Art
    Last edited by Arthur_Reed; 02-07-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Just wondering... do you know this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeFRaG

Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Just wondering... do you know this?
    Yeah, I've seen some videos for DeFRaG... is it server-based, though? Or same deal as practice mode on QL. Also, I've played Q3, and it just feels different. QL has a better engine. I came back from playing Q3, and was completely thrown off.
    ...I love Frags-- but, that doesn't make me a Frag. If you don't understand this; than you're a Frag

I don't know how DeFRAG works but I'm pretty sure QL's practice mode is still server based. You just happen to run the server locally. I guess the same applies to DeFRAG (or any mod, for that matter).

So basically you want DeFRAG with QL's physics, right?

Well, I want DeFRaG in servers with other people :P
    But, yes... that would be great on it's own.
    ...I love Frags-- but, that doesn't make me a Frag. If you don't understand this; than you're a Frag

+ Reply to Thread