+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Re-inventing Quake - bring back "KotS" mod

*Corrupt

Re-inventing Quake - bring back "KotS" mod

Hey!

Here's a suggestion for possibly re-inventing our beloved Quake a bit.
    "King of the Server" or KotS was a mod originally invented for Quake 2. It combined the rawness of deathmatch Quake with certain elements of RPG's: You had a "character" based on your in-game name that was saved in a database which kept track of all sorts of stats.
    You gain exp by fragging opponents, which eventually leads to your "character" getting a level up which allows you to upgrade your weapons and certain "player abilities". Ultimately it was about being the king of the servers - the guy with the most experience obtained on his character had the title of "King of the Server" in front if his name in-game whenever chatting. Similar to the ladder competition that was featured in Diablo 2.
    The continuity of playing a "character" that you work on and improve really helped newer players and less-talented ones to bridge the gap between them and the hardcore Quake players by gaining levels and having a stronger character.
    Both of these aspects I think are key components in getting and keeping people attracted to an aging hardcore game like Quake.
    In a later iteration of the mod called "KOTS 2000" more depth was added to the mod and more titles were added - similar to the awards featured in QL but you would compete for them as it was only the guy with the highest in a given aspect that would hold the title - most frags/minute, most exp/minute and so on. Here's a link that shows an old database from back when the mod was quite alive: http://web.archive.org/web/200504182...ds2k/ranks.php

The mod was traditionally played like FFA DM featuring some runes that were unique to the mod; runes used the model of the weapon or player-ability they boosted with an overlay of a bright red or blue color. Fighting over runes was a big part of it as some weapons became truly hazardous when you had them maxed and with a rune: rocket launcher would fire two rockets per shot, hyperblaster would stun you for a short duration, grenades from grenade launcher would have a 'dizzy' effect on you.

The "player" upgrades were into certain branches that would give you various passive and active upgrades/skills:
    The "strength" tree would increase your jumping height, your capacity to carry ammo and cubes, providing resistance to certain effects etc.
    Other trees would feature "active" abilities/skills such as a grapple hook, the ability to fly, cloak, return damage, create armor/health/ammo and such; almost all of those skills required "cubes" which is the RPG equivalent of mana to utilize. Cubes were gathered through collecting armor shards as well as gained from certain playertree-upgrades.
    More details on weapons and player trees

The RPG elements combined with the "ladder" competition and the hazardous nature of 8+ player FFA servers with so many abilities and weapons going around was a really addicting mixture and would keep you playing Quake for hours upon hours much more than any other mod I tried for Quake.

The source code for the last iteration of the mod, KotS 2007, is available which should make a port fairly easy provided there's not alot of engine conflicts. QL already features most of the infrastructure that the mod used with the database that keeps track of a unique profile and servers which aren't controlled by 3rd party.
    Some servers could be level-capped to allow a starting-ground for newcomers.
    I really do believe there's a huge crowd out there who would give this a go on the much more accessible platform that is QL than what we had going in the last years of Quake 2.

What do you think?

I'll update the thread later on and possibly elaborate on aspects and potential concerns with gameplay of the mod as well as answer any questions regarding things that I have missed...

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    My basic problem with this is the few guys that play the most, have the most kills, best k/d. Are already the ones everyone complains about as they win, and attract the most cheat accusations by players that don't even bother spectating let alone have the knowledge to really spot a cheat compared to a top player.

And this actually WOULD give them special hax like abilities that others couldn't achieve making them even stronger.

*Corrupt
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    My basic problem with this is the few guys that play the most, have the most kills, best k/d. Are already the ones everyone complains about as they win, and attract the most cheat accusations by players that don't even bother spectating let alone have the knowledge to really spot a cheat compared to a top player.

And this actually WOULD give them special hax like abilities that others couldn't achieve making them even stronger.
    I see where you're going with this, however getting a to level 7 and having all the abilities available from a player-tree was possible for everyone back then even in just a day or two of dedicated playing.
    The spree-system was a pretty big part of KotS as well: When a player had a certain amount of kills in a row he would get a green aura around him (like Quad, just green) to notify other players he was on a spree. Fragging someone who was on a spree granted extra points and the guy on the spree had extra points for every consecutive frag he made as well. If he made it as far as to a spree of 25 the "spree war" mode would be activated; everyone on the server would become invulnerable to eachother/allied until the guy on the spree war was killed!

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    That sounds like fun

*Bzz_LED
    I only opened this thread to see what kots means. In dutch it literaly means "puke" so I was confused ...

*Raeven
    Sounds like a cool idea. I assume the 2007 edition is for Q3? Or did they update the Q2 version all that time?

*Corrupt
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeven View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea. I assume the 2007 edition is for Q3? Or did they update the Q2 version all that time?
    The 2007 edition was for Q2 as well. It was created because the last guy who was in charge for KOTS 2000 didn't seem to be interested in maintaining the mod or putting it in the hands of someone else as was the tradition of the past.

Member Epikt is on a distinguished road
    Sorry (excuse my weak English), I didn't understand if you're keeping your xp from games to games, day after day.

Junior Member Avarice is on a distinguished road
    I would love to see this mod re-born into QLive. Was a pretty regular player back in the day of the Kots mod and loved it.

Junior Member island55 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    I would love to see this mod re-born into QLive. Was a pretty regular player back in the day of the Kots mod and loved it.
    me too....

+ Reply to Thread