+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How popular is quake live?

*idiot
    If the numbers were any good we'd probably know. Most other online games will shout as loudly as possible with press releases about how many X millions are playing or whatever. Recent example: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62...ng-And-Growing

Note* I never heard of this game until right now...googled "online fps" and they are the first link (with google's personalized results - second link without). I went 15 pages in and didn't even see Quakelive...sad.

Junior Member ske7ch is on a distinguished road
    How long is a piece of string?

Senior Member nox is on a distinguished road nox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ske7ch View Post
    How long is a piece of string?

The distance from beginning to end.

Banned sabotaged_ is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    We don't release specific numbers, and many sites like Alexa and Compete are not accurate to the user base (they are very low typically). Our peak in-game player count has not changed significantly over the past year.
    yet compared to it's start, it's flatlined at the bottom
    http://trends.google.com/websites?q=quakelive.com&sa=N

Not exactly impressive numbers

Banned MANthrax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanith View Post
    Someone clearly can't comprehend the written word; they quite clearly stated that the peak in-game player count hasn't changed much over the past year.
    And you would be one of them... Re-read what he wrote: "Our peak in-game player count has not changed significantly over the past year."

The key word is "significantly", which is subjective. Going on a blind date your mate says "She isn't significantly over-weight". Now *** does that mean?

It's not popular because programmers are running the business. This is a classic what not to do in business and should be a business school case study.

Its like when they are programming and get a runtime error, and then continue to try and run it over and over without doing anything to fix it but expecting the error to go away. Or they dust off the server thinking that will solve the problem.

Senior Member sample2501 is on a distinguished road
    the question is WHY don't they release the numbers of players?
    i just don't get it.. it wouldn't harm anyone and shows some long-demanded transparency.

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    the question is WHY don't they release the numbers of players?
    Coz they're a privately operated and owned company that does not have any need nor requirement to divulge information that might be used by competition to gain edge over them.

shows some long-demanded transparency.
    Same as the above.
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Coz they're a privately operated and owned company that does not have any need nor requirement to divulge information that might be used by competition to gain edge over them.
    i understand that they don't need to give us the information, but what harm can be done? how should the competition (what competition btw? QL is the sole action paced MP shooter out there iirc) gain an edge? QL already dropped from IEM, there isn't much to loose anyway...

sorry if i sound stupid, but i just don't get it

cheers

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    but what harm can be done?
    Losing subscriptions, becoming unappealing to potential customers (small playerbase = niche game)

how should the competition (what competition btw? QL is the sole action paced MP shooter out there iirc) gain an edge?
    WARSOW, UBERSTRIKE. And people rushing to modern online FPSs.
    Also it hurts company's image.

Also remember that if proper clauses are written in the company policies, or are forced by major shareholder and/or owner (Zenimax in this case), the company follows them and does not stray from them. They're employed not only for the reasons I described above, but often for various other ones. Ask id employee if it makes you feel better, but since Sponge made a clear and professional statement a while ago, do not except anything more or less than what has been already said.
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

thanks for clearing this up for me,
    greetinx & cheers

+ Reply to Thread