+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DevPick Jan 14-16: Autoshuffle & Alll Weaps CTF

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar

DevPick Jan 14-16: Autoshuffle & Alll Weaps CTF

This weekend's DevPick is the ever-popular All Weapons CTF, but with an experimental feature enabled: Teams will automatically shuffle before every match starts, once the match reaches at minimum a 3v3. We're interested in the feedback, and any issues that you may encounter with the shuffling.

This is also the first DevPick of 2012! Looking back at player statistics for 2011's DevPicks, the three most popular were (from first to third): my personal favorite Space Camp, RailJump Instagib, and the original Jetpack CTF. Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by sponge; 01-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    OK, so the auto-shuffling feature sounds pretty good. I also like the idea of all-weap CTF.

However, I think we need ranked servers for these dev picks at some point. I just played 2 of these matches, and no matter how much shuffling you do, if you've got a team of 2 Tier 4s and 2 Tier 1s, people are going to get frustrated. Quickly. Seriously, we had guys running around with MG and PG on Bloodlust when you're spawning with every weapon.
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    They don't affect stats, so why does it matter? They're just for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    OK, so the auto-shuffling feature sounds pretty good. I also like the idea of all-weap CTF.

However, I think we need ranked servers for these dev picks at some point. I just played 2 of these matches, and no matter how much shuffling you do, if you've got a team of 2 Tier 4s and 2 Tier 1s, people are going to get frustrated. Quickly. Seriously, we had guys running around with MG and PG on Bloodlust when you're spawning with every weapon.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Except a lot of people have a hard time having fun when they get stomped over and over. I think that the intend of this devpick is exactly to minimize these situations.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Right it should be fun, but picture 4v4 with 2 noobs on each side. All it takes is one guy to quit after the first score (very common in CTF) and it's very lopsided. After the second score, the remaining guy gets tired of carrying the noobs and quits. Then 1 on the winning realizes how lopsided it is and quits out of boredom. In this case, it was just me left with 7 noobs Now, I have no problem ****ing noobs once in a while, but it's no fun on the other side. My noobs prolly had a great time in a lopsided win.

Of course, admittedly, I see the same stuff in regular Tier 4 CTF games, so I'm not sure if ranked servers for dev picks is the solution. But mixing all 4 tiers together usually doesn't end well except in insta games.
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

Member windam is on a distinguished road windam's Avatar

:)

will check it soon
    idL windam

... check out the idL QLSA list here : QLSA "QuakeLive SecretAwards" (2011-Nov)

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    Now, I have no problem ****ing noobs once in a while, but it's no fun on the other side.
    I was in a bad mood and this is what happened to the less-skilled. (I did apologize after for holding the flag as I got to the 100 NetF, but they didn't seem to mind much. They said they still had fun.

Junior Member Heros is on a distinguished road
    All Weap CTF is a good idea for a Mod :-) great!
    Autoshuffle ... on public server its ok, on private server no.

Senior Member everamzah is on a distinguished road everamzah's Avatar
    auto-shuffle seems to work okay but when it's automatically /allreadys at 3s, someone disconnects and the games begin 3v2. perhaps make a fail-safe to return to warmup.

any tips for someone who likes CTF but can't wrap their head around it?

Banned MalaMala is an unknown quantity at this point
    Fanaly a good devpick,

+ Reply to Thread