+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Community FAQ

Member RisenOne is on a distinguished road

Quake Live Community FAQ

Hello everyone, the purpose of this thread is to be a place for the newbies (but not only them) to find answeres to the most commonly asked questions, without filling the forums with threads and threads treating always the same things.
    I hope this will help the newbies and will keep the forums cleaner.

If some of the information given in this thread are wrong, feel free to notice me, writing, when possibile, the correct information and the source. The same goes for the missing questions: if I forgot something just tell me, but please keep in mind that the idea is to keep this list shortest and clearest possible, without filling it with not-so-common questions or much complicated questions (e.g. "How can I make a bridge to rail jump?")

Please try to keep this thread clean and polite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• How can I change my nickname?
    • How can i color my nickname?
    • How can I join a friend's game?
    • What is PunkBuster?
    • Where is the config file?
    • How can I spawn a private server?
    • Is it possible to have a local version of Quake Live?
    • What are the differences between characters skins?
    • Does the "headshot" exist?
    • I have clearly landed a shot but the hit was not registered. Why?
    • I have been hit by a shot when I was well behind a wall. Why?
    • Why does it take so long to switch weapons?
    • How many cheaters are in Quake Live and what type of cheats exist?
    • I've played against a cheater. What can I do?
    • How can I record/play a demo?
    • How does the skillmatching works?
    • What is a tier?
    • What is the skillrating?
    • How can I determine my tiers?
    • How can I determine my skillrating?
    • Can I redo the training match?
    • I am probably in the wrong tier, every game I join I am being crushed. Why?
    • How can I change tier?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How can I change my nickname?
    A: You cannot change it. The only way to have a new name is to create a new account. Please remember that you can only have two accounts.

Q: How can i color my nickname?
    A: To define colours in Quake Live there are some codes to put in the text:
    ^1 = Red
    ^2 = Green
    ^3 = Yellow
    ^4 = Blue
    ^5 = Cyan
    ^6 = Magenta
    ^7 = White

The text after the code will be colored with the related one. To change the colour join a practice game, bring down the console and type "\name YOURNICKNAME" (without quotes) with the desired colour codes.

For example if I write: name ^2Risen^6One, the result is RisenOne.

Q: How can I join a friend's game?
    A: There are three possibilities: the first is to click "Join Game" in the little pop up that appears in the low right corner when a friend of yours has joined a game.
    The second is to click on the little quake-Q symbol, next to the name of your friend, in your friendlist and then to click the Play button in the match summary.
    The third possibility is to filter the server search to list only the games with friends.

Q: What is PunkBuster?
    A: PunkBuster is the anti-cheat software used in Quake Live. If it gives you problems try to update it and/or search the forums for solutions.

Q: Where is the config file?
    A: You can find the config file in the following folders:
    Windows XP: %appdata%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    Windows Vista: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    GNU/Linux: ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3
    Macintosh: User/Library/Application Support/QuakeLive/quakelive/home/baseq3

To see this path in Windows you have to be able to see hidden files.

Q: How can I spawn a private server?
    A: The first thing to do is getting a PRO account, then you will be able spawn a server wherever you want.
    For more information on PRO account read here:

Q: Is it possible to have a local version of Quake Live?
    A: Playing Quake Live without the internet connection is not possible, even in practice mode. One of the main reasons is that the in-game and in-site ad have to be constantly updated.

Q: What are the differences between characters skins?
    A: There are no differences aside from the fact that, for example, Standard Bones is much less visible then, say, Bright Keel.

Q: Does the "headshot" exist?
    A: No. A hit is a hit, wherever you land it.

Q: I have clearly landed a shot but the hit was not registered. Why?
    Q: I have been hit by a shot when I was well behind a wall. Why?

A: This is a well known issue that is netcode related. The root of the problem is that the hitboxes (the "entities" that are sensible to bullets and that register the hit) aren't alway aligned with the 3d model that you see in game. This means that what you see is not always the reality: you see a model on your crosshair but it isn't always right there.

Q: Why does it take so long to switch weapons?
    A: It is possible to change weapon only when the one that you hold has finished its reload time. This is especially noticeable when firing with the Rail Gun and the immediatly triyng to change weapon.

Q: How many cheaters are in Quake Live and what type of cheats exist?
    A: There are some cheaters but they are really not many and it is very likely that you never met one of them.
    There are two main types of cheats in Quake Live: the wallhack, that lets you see behind walls (I think I've never met a wallhacker) and the aimbot, that "glues" the crosshair to the enemies (I've met only one of this kind of cheater).

Q: I've played against a cheater. What can I do?
    A: First you have to be absolutely sure that the player was cheating. If he was wallhacking it is not very simple to notice (but not impossibile). On the contrary if he was using an aimbot it is pretty easy to notice the flicking and "gluing" of the crosshair (unless it is a humanized one).
    Anyway remember that a very good player can reach great aim levels, and more than few flickshots are not unusual at higher level.
    When you are absolutely sure that you are playing against a cheater, spectate him and record a demo from his point of view and send it at support@quakelive.com
    Do NOT make accusation threads on the forum.

Q: How can I record/play a demo?
    A: To record a demo bring down the console and write "\record DEMONAME". To stop the recording write "\stoprecord" in the console or quit the match.
    To play a recorded demo join a practice game, bring down the console and write "\demo DEMONAME"

Q: How does the skillmatching works?
    Q: What is a tier?
    Q: What is the skillrating?

A: Nobody knows the rules of the skillmatching, but there are two key concepts in the whole skillmatching thing: tier and skillrating.
    The tiers are 6 sets of players, and every Quake Live player is in a tier. The tier 1 contains the newbies, and the tier 6 contains the strongest players. The tiers are different for every game type.
    The skillrating is a value assigned to every player, different for every game type, that "represent" the skill of that player in that game type. It is very likely that the skillrating is used to determine the tier in which a player belongs, for a game type.
    The only exception is the Duel game type that uses an ELO rating system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Q: How can I determine my tiers?
    A: At the moment there is no surely correct way to know your tiers. There are some Greasemonkey scripts but it is very likely that they are outdated.

Q: How can I determine my skillrating?
    A: Join an empty server and type "\serverinfo" (without quotes) in the console. The value you are searching for is sv_skillrating. You will have to scroll up a bit to find it.

Q: Can I redo the training match?
    Q: I am probably in the wrong tier, every game I join I am being crushed. Why?
    Q: How can I change tier?

A: The only way to change tier is playing. If you do very well in your tier, your skillrating will increase and you will be moved to an upper tier, if you get crushed everytime, the system will move you down a tier.
    So, if you feel that you are in the wrong tier, keep playing: the more matches you complete, the more accurate the skillmatching will be.
    Anyway keep in mind that the skillmatching system is far from perfect.
    Last edited by RisenOne; 09-05-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Saved slot.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    you might want to add how they can find the config files
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Nice one. Added. Thank you!

Member risen is an unknown quantity at this point
    Good thread!

Member Jaza is on a distinguished road Jaza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RisenOne View Post
    Q: Where is the config file?
    A: You can find the config file in the following folders:
    Windows XP: %appdata%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    Windows Vista: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    GNU/Linux: ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3

Nice thread

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Good thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaza120 View Post

Nice thread
    Thank you! Mac added.

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    "for more informations on" is wrong. should be "for more information on"

in the spawning servers thing.

"why it takes so long to change a weapon" is wrong too. should be "why does it take so long to switch weapons?"
    and about weapon switching: you should also mention that theres an actual delay while switching, not just reload. so you have to reload and then wait for the weapon switch animation to finish, then you can fire.

"glueing" isnt a word. its "gluing".

if its "an humanized one" is also wrong. its "a humanized one".

you wrote "absoltley" in the aimbot one. i think you see the spelling mistake there.

"...scripts but is very likely..." in the tier one should be "...but it is very likely...". also there are a few working greasemonkey scripts that arent outdated, just not very accurate. why iD doesnt release some kind of info about skillrating and tiers is really stupid... unless theyre trying to hide just how flawed it really is?

explain the serverinfo one a bit more. people should get in the habit of using "/" before everything they write in the console, just cuz. and i dont think quotes to anything; they disappear if you use them. but i could be wrong? you should also mention that theyll have to scroll down/up a bit to see their skillrating in the console, because theres a bunch of info when you type /serverinfo.

"Can I do again the training match?" should be "Can I redo the training match?". grammatically incorrect as is.

you write sistem in the training/tiers one. i think you see the spelling mistake there...

"...matches you complete and the more accurate the skillmatching will be...." is wrong. should be "...matches you complete, the more accurate the skillmatching will be....".

anyway, aside from grammar/spelling its a kinda good read. i didnt learn anything but im sure if any new players read it (most of them just end up re-posting the same thread about the same thing dozens of times) theyll learn quite a few things.

Oh well thank you. I've learned something. Anyway now everything should be ok.

*Alex_Babylon
    Like this thread! I've learned something new

What about "Stickying" this thread? It would be usefull.

+ Reply to Thread