+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Own Little CA Guide (not for noobs)

Senior Member iSuckz is on a distinguished road iSuckz's Avatar

My Own Little CA Guide (not for noobs)

my very own guide to CA.

i keep reading these CA guides that dont really mean anything .. so here is mine. badly written, unformatted, and with possible spelling mistakes. who cares. here it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CA is a team game - the objective of the game is to attack the enemy when (and/or) in numeric superiority, from superior positioning, and in formation.
    of course this guide can't teach you how to aim, move or read your opponent - the game still relies on hitting your enemy - but during the game you will have opportunities for tactical decisions, which can really help you win against players with better aim.

keep your eyes open. always try to know where your teammates are and when they might be coming to a fight. watch your mates' health indicators on your HUD.
    essentially you NEVER want to fight 1v1, always 2v1 or more. listen for sounds of the enemy and fighting (rails, LG beams - nades and rockets are not a good indicator)
    start each round with (either the LG or) RL. NOT with the rail.

formations

one of the basic ideas of CA is that there are roles, but these are not fixed like "classes in TF". according to the situation you act as hered, pusher,
    sniper, etc.. but since communication in QL is slow (unless you have vent/TS), you have to guess what your mates will do. a good and rational system is "the best player leads", with the lower staying at midrange (just inside LG range). if you are wounded (below 81 hp), use rail and stay behind BUT NOT ALONE! always keep the "meatshield" ahead of you (again, just inside LG range); you might think that this exposes you, but 1) if you stay alone you will be killed by the first genius who sneaks 2) you are railable, after all, 3) your teammates need your DPS, and 4) it's totally ok for you to actually change weapon if needs be and kill with that.

and also - if an enemy if fighting someone up close, and trying to keep them in their FOV, they will likely not be able to read you who are further away.
    it's hard to explain, but the way to victory is understanding when your enemy cannot see you because their attention is focused on a nearer target.

also,
    never advance on an enemy head on - always strafe to the side, hopefully your teammate will do the same, and you dont want to block him.
    look for beams coming from behind you.. that means one of your mates is behind, and you could be blocking.

basic positioning and techinques

let me stress that the first few seconds (including the countdown) are EXTREMELY important in CA.

ex:hell's gate

two to a side
    xx oo

bad. you dont want to rail if you can avoid it. (exp at the start).
    the reasoning here is that if you are worse than your enemy, you will lose to better acc. if you are better, you'll win anyway and don't need this guide.

mixed
    x o x o
    a 1 b 2

good. as soon as the timer starts, o2 will jump over xb and attack xa together with 01.

here essentially xa attacks 01, xb attacks 02
    (yes, from behind.. but that is not *so* bad), and 01 and 02 attack together xa. xa should die very quickly 2v1 so the survivors can turn on xb.

also hopefully while 02 rushes <-, xb will rush ->, and if timed right will wind up too far for LG. and might even make the mistake of taking out the RG, thus losing even more time to land maybe 1 hit.

herding

how to control what your enemies do.
    if you are on the bridge on DM6 and one of your mates is alone, with two enemies coming up from the stairs, you can go to RL and pretend you have left him alone.
    they WILL stay and wait the countdown. then you come back to bridge at 1 sec to go and LG one while they both are watching your mate.
    if then one (or both) drops and goes under the RG then rocket him right towards his face - normally he will dodge your easy rockets, but BY GOING THRU THE DOOR to the central room, leaving you to drop and join your mate 2v1 on the guy who dropped the other direction/stays on the bridge.
    there is no way i can list all the dodges in the game but hopefully you know them already.

blindsiding

remember that people cannot look in two directions at the same time - if your target is attacking your mate, you can LG him for extreme accuracy.
    in CA it's important to keep the proper distance from your mates for this reason - it's actually easier for your enemy to evade 2v1 if you
    are both in his FOV .. AND close enough so that his brain will register.
    in general, the BEST combination is rusher with RL, and guard with LG. rail is just not enough DPS(also accuracy on rail depends on prediction, and at 2v1 the other guy is trying to create as much chaos as possible). the peak of blindsiding comes when after a blindsided enemy spots you, both you AND your teammate disengage.. ofc, you need to guess your teammate's reactions on a hunch .. i guess practice is the only way to learn here. the reason here is that an enemy's DPS potential INCREASES with the number of targets in his FOV/area of attention. (ofc his life expectancy decreases.. )

holding

many noobs (!!BRIDGE !!!!)play CA by holding a position, and perse' it's not too bad, just not really any different than rail vs rail.. and we always assume that you
    are worse than your opponent. also, holding allows skilled players to nade/spam you and can cause you to bump into your teammates - thus punishing you with lots of damage.
    the best way to hold an area is to create a net - were every player is distant from his mates just so that he can get to them in 2 rocket jumps OR 1 RJ OR immediately anyway BUT out of sight from any potential attackers to your mates. also distance of sound/beams is a good indicator of distance. when an enemy enters the net, your team "closes" and kills him 2/3/4v1

pushing

suicide attacks .. are never good.

they work only if you are much better than your enemy, so kind of pointless here. but you *can* enter an enemy position if you are confident that you can exit it very, very quickly.
    like blindisding the idea is to confuse your enemies and distract them so that your mates can hit them with higher acc.

pushing is the art of charging one enemy of a group of two with plasma/rockets (high dps weapons which are however easily dodged) in situations such as stairwells, corridors, and such
    where you *will* recive more damage than you deal, but as soon as your target runs/takes distance/drops/goes out of sight from target 2 (your mate's target), you turn around and go help 2v1.

**********this is the reason why you must ALWAYS start with RL********** pushing is something you will most likely always have to do at the start of each round.
    map knowledge pays to the good pusher. fogs, lava and drops, and places where it takes time to get out of are natural obstacles you must keep in mind. it's not just important to make
    your enemy lose health, but also to lose TIME. make them lose time and you will win.

the difference between pushing and herding is that an enemy pushed goes away but who knows where, and herding actaully moves the enemy to a position that you know.

sniping/spotting - in general

remember that the enemy might not be here now, but they can come back - if you see a fight 2v1 on your side that you *know* your mates are gonna win, don't jump in and bunch up to offer the enemy yet another target - instead, hold a little back, maybe use rail/PG, and KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN for enemies that might be attacking your mates from behind. the rule of blindsiding applies to them as well. if your mates are in a fight that is certain to be won, use your time for positioning. killing just one keel doesnt win the round.

weapons:

MG and shotgun - you know what these are for - finishing someone off. remember MG works great at long ranges and vs evaders.
    Nades - i really cant say here, i suck with them, but i can see the point - tho, remember that spamming uses your TIME, and you dont want to waste that. use 1 nade at the time, then check your position.. and your mate's.
    RL + LG - nothing to say here.
    rail - never start a round with this.
    plasma - almost lost, near the shotty looking down at the RL/YA room, spam here for 20-60 dmg, then RJ back to LG. and SAVE YOUR TIME.
    also spam the corridor on DM6 if you RJ to bridge. this isnt meant to actually hit anything, just to close that door to potential enemies on pillars. plasma doesnt hurt, but it scares and blinds people.

that's all i can think of now. maybe more later. MOAR!

---------------------------------------------------

no, srsly. if you aren't doing these things you make me ragequit. do it.

*ViolatorXXX
    Here's my own complete guide for South Americans playing on NA servers:

Nade spam doorways.

*starwars
    start each round with (either the LG or) RL. NOT with the rail.
    There is no such thing as starting or ending a round with a certain weapon. You should continually be switching weapons according to positioning and oppurtinity.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    If the round is starting and you're in a position suitable for rail rather than other guns, then frankly, your positioning sucks ;x

Banned Fudge911 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Withheld by the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    If the round is starting and you're in a position suitable for rail rather than other guns, then frankly, your positioning sucks ;x
    If you're positioning yourself at all, then frankly, you're doing something wrong.
    Positioning gives away your positioning and leaves you vulnerable to rails/LG/rockets.
    Last edited by Fudge911; 11-14-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    So you're telling me that a sniper far away from the action, who can deal multiple 80 damage to opponents, who has slim-no chance of getting hit with anything himself, is in a bad position?

Bwaaahahahaha.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Banned Fudge911 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Withheld by the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    So you're telling me that a sniper far away from the action, who can deal multiple 80 damage to opponents, who has slim-no chance of getting hit with anything himself, is in a bad position?

Bwaaahahahaha.
    Yes, because your teamate is getting screwed over by 2 shafts at 40% acc.
    After they kill your teamate, they come after you.
    And 2 vs 1 is a bad position.

Senior Member RD6 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Use the weapon you're aiming best with at the time? Usually you have two options: either stay inside and use your rockets or lg or plasma even, or you can go outside and go for some rails on anyone out there. You can of course move in packs outside or inside, but it's good to spread out just a little bit, so you don't get spammed.

*starwars
    That makes no sense.

If you're positioning yourself at all, then frankly, you're doing something wrong.
    Positioning gives away your positioning and leaves you vulnerable to rails/LG/rockets.
    That makes NO sense...and is r3tarded. The better positioning you have (elevation, room to dodge, quick escape) the more advantage you have of winning the exchange (maybe you dont frag him but deal more damage). Were you trying to be funny because that is one r3tarded comment...

Yes, because your teamate is getting screwed over by 2 shafts at 40% acc.
    After they kill your teamate, they come after you.
    And 2 vs 1 is a bad position.
    IF your teammate is getting screwed..we are simply saying that you can use rail at the beginning...doesnt mean watching your teammate die and trying to rail.
    Last edited by starwars; 11-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by starwars View Post
    IF your teammate is getting screwed..we are simply saying that you can use rail at the beginning...doesnt mean watching your teammate die and trying to rail.
    Exactly. Your team mate shouldn't be getting trapped at the start of a round anyway. Let's say two guys are following him and he throws some grenades back at them, you get free rails at them because they're not looking at you and your team is way ahead.

What I like also is when I'm a sniper vs another sniper, like on opposite sides of AlmostLost, and one of my team mates comes out and starts hitting him and I finish him off in two easy shots. It feels mean though, hehehe.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

+ Reply to Thread