+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Requests for Maps

Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    As far as I know there's no q3 version, and most importantly it will play awfully in quake live and in q3. Same goes to most qw and q2 duel maps.
    Yeah because Aerowalk and Blood Run were huge failures in Q3 and QL...

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan86 View Post
    Yeah because Aerowalk and Blood Run were huge failures in Q3 and QL...
    "most" is there because of those 2 exceptions. Feel free to name 1 (one) more that plays decently on q3/ql.

Actually ztn and aerowalk don't count much really since those 2 were not in most map pools in qw until very recently, both are more q3 maps than qw really, and the q3 versions are much different than the qw ones, and btw the q3 versions are not the same as the ones in ql.

why am I replying to a banned noob anyway.
    Last edited by megaman3; 12-26-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    "most" is there because of those 2 exceptions. Feel free to name 1 (one) more that plays decently on q3/ql.
    A dm4 remake saw some play in cpm.

Actually ztn and aerowalk don't count much really since those 2 were not in most map pools in qw until very recently, both are more q3 maps than qw really, and the q3 versions are much different than the qw ones, and btw the q3 versions are not the same as the ones in ql.
    This is inaccurate, if not just completely untrue.

Aerowalk was released in 1997, and it had quite a following. It just wasn't played in tournaments. It was seen as a nice break from the dm maps. Around the time of truegamers international (mid 99') one of the few things we knew about Australia's reload was that he could play aerowalk and dm2 really well.

Ztn was also released in 97', and along with the other ztn maps saw a gazillion games. Mainly ffa, but some duels too.

I'm not sure what you consider "much different". Some changes have to be made to fit the size of the player model and the feel of the engine. Those changes being made the maps are fairly close. No matter what you two maps won't play exactly the same between quake1 and q3/QL. I really wouldn't consider them "much different" though.

Imo, plenty of the q1 maps would play great in QL if they were remade for it.

Have you played q1 maps with vq3 physics? There are plenty of remakes available for q3, and in all cases (that aren't ztn and aerowalk) the results are awful.

Have you played the q1 versions in qw? ztn is not vastly changed (item pos changes and so on), though the respawn system alone makes gameplay the complete opposite of ql, but aerowalk is. Actually the changes to spawn points (ztn) and respawn system (mainly aerowalk) make the q3 versions substantially different than ql's.

And you said it yourself. Those 2 saw some play in qw but not even 5% of the truly classic maps, whereas in q3/ql it's sacrilege not having both in all map pools. A good example is there were hundreds of thousands of dollars involved in playing those 2 maps in q3/ql, but in q1/qw just pocket change.
    Last edited by megaman3; 12-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Mega, going on the offense armed with ad hominems is only going to harm any point you try to make.

Contrary to what beliefs are shared in certain circles, the fact remains that what a group of nerds in competitions earn for winning has very little impact on how much entertainment value the average person gets from a computer game. On the other hand classic maps can be successfully remade for QL with the vast majority of the original gameplay intact. Just because very few mappers know how to properly adapt a map for a different Quake doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I'm really not sure where this anger you're projecting comes from. You seem upset at the prospect of other people having different opinions on what to add to the game.

Fact is ztn and aerowalk were played much less than other q1 maps and that those 2 had much more activity in q3/ql. The only subjective or rather debatable part of this is how other q1 maps would play on ql, with some minor changes if needed, but that requires knowing about both qw and ql.

We know they won't be remotely close to qw-like gameplay because games are vastly different (even q1 gameplay is). Idea is if a q1 map remake can be at least decent using ql gameplay, considering it won't be played like qw, and my point is there are no examples other than the named 2, and even then those were modified a lot anyway.

Then comes the supposed offense. Here is what I see: it is weird seeing someone banned from QL discussing about it in first place (who knows if for cheating or other reason), then talking about gameplay differences when he is tier2 at best therefore doesn't know gameplay the slightest bit. I know that not only the president is entitled to talk about politics, as everyone can do so, but frankly I don't take seriously opinions from 14 year old people which is the equivalent of a tier2.
    Last edited by megaman3; 12-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffinman86
    Mega, going on the offense armed with ad hominems is only going to harm any point you try to make.
    This, big time.

Fact is ztn and aerowalk were played much less than other q1 maps and that those 2 had much more activity in q3/ql. The only subjective or rather debatable part of this is how other q1 maps would play on ql, with some minor changes if needed, but that requires knowing about both qw and ql.

We know they won't be remotely close to qw-like gameplay because games are vastly different (even q1 gameplay is). Idea is if a q1 map remake can be at least decent using ql gameplay, considering it won't be played like qw, and my point is there are no examples other than the named 2, and even then those were modified a lot anyway.
    They weren't modified "a lot". I don't know why you consider something minor like spawns and dimensions scaling substantial changes to the map.

What I think you are leaving out as well, is that remakes are _not_ that common in general, across any games. You don't see q3 remakes in UT, UT remakes in q3, few Q4 remakes in QL, or any such combination.

It isn't necessarily because the maps wouldn't work for the game. It has more to do with people wanting to make their own maps instead of using the work of others, or being concerned about plagiarism. Also when people do remakes, they prefer to have the original map files so that they can make an exact representation. A weakly done representation will upset people.

Then comes the supposed offense. Here is what I see: it is weird seeing someone banned from QL discussing about it in first place (who knows if for cheating or other reason), then talking about gameplay differences when he is tier2 at best therefore doesn't know gameplay the slightest bit. I know that not only the president is entitled to talk about politics, as everyone can do so, but frankly I don't take seriously opinions from 14 year old people which is the equivalent of a tier2.
    Abusive Ad hominem and trying for an ethos appeal when logos is all that can really be taken seriously.

Spending so many characters on this really makes you look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    What I think you are leaving out as well, is that remakes are _not_ that common in general, across any games. You don't see q3 remakes in UT, UT remakes in q3, few Q4 remakes in QL, or any such combination
    Have you played any ut game once? dm6 and dm17 are two of the most popular maps in all iterations.

Abusive Ad hominem and trying for an ethos appeal when logos is all that can really be taken seriously.
    Spending so many characters on this really makes you look bad.
    That guy is banned from the game for some reason (1), then circumvents it (2) and is spreading false information on other posts (3). That's 3 ban-able offenses right there.

Incredible. Youe posts get more smug and arrogant the more you post... they're starting to give me the feeling that I'm reading a thread in ESR, chock fill with kids thinking that clicking a computer mouse is a sport.

For the maps: check out swelt's remakes in Worldspawn Archive... if the site ever comes back up again. They were all pretty popular and nodm10 happened to be what wintersedge was built upon, which was highly popular too. Take a look around, even just in this thread, and you'll see many people would like to see classic maps make an appearance. You're possibly the only person I've come across who's so vehemently against remakes. Accept that you're in the minority and move on.

For the ban, etc: your detective skills are second to none Sherlock, but you shouldn't talk about something you know nothing about. I didn't infringe on any of QL's ToS, at least not more than anyone else did. Whether or not I circumvent the bans has nothing to do with you, and support can do little about it either. Petty threats mean nothing to me.

Your posts continue to be filled to the brim with outrageous assumptions and ad hominem. You should control your anger and do some self-reflecting on why you get so wound up over a computer game, lest it boil over into your actual life. I doubt anyone really cares how well you shoot pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan86 View Post
    Incredible. Youe posts get more smug and arrogant the more you post... they're starting to give me the feeling that I'm reading a thread in ESR, chock fill with kids thinking that clicking a computer mouse is a sport.

For the maps: check out swelt's remakes in Worldspawn Archive... if the site ever comes back up again. They were all pretty popular and nodm10 happened to be what wintersedge was built upon, which was highly popular too. Take a look around, even just in this thread, and you'll see many people would like to see classic maps make an appearance. You're possibly the only person I've come across who's so vehemently against remakes. Accept that you're in the minority and move on.

For the ban, etc: your detective skills are second to none Sherlock, but you shouldn't talk about something you know nothing about. I didn't infringe on any of QL's ToS, at least not more than anyone else did. Whether or not I circumvent the bans has nothing to do with you, and support can do little about it either. Petty threats mean nothing to me.

Your posts continue to be filled to the brim with outrageous assumptions and ad hominem. You should control your anger and do some self-reflecting on why you get so wound up over a computer game, lest it boil over into your actual life. I doubt anyone really cares how well you shoot pixels.

You still have not provided a single reason specific reason why maps from other games would work on QL, as in per each map analysis.

And it's obvious why I'm being arrogant: You are banned, you should have be banned 3 times already, and you have no clue how to play QL in first place yet you are discussing about it.

+ Reply to Thread