+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LG tutorial progress.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar

LG tutorial progress.

Before I get into the main part of the guide there are some things that need to be said.

Most of the time when people ask me to help them improve their aim and show an incredible lack of both skill and progress I tend to ask them a few standard questions.
    Usually those questions will be something along the lines of: ”What mouse do you use?”

And after that: ”What mousepad do you use?”
    Very often, the answers I get in return will be: ”I use the mouse that came with the system.”
    and ”I don't use a mousepad.”

I'm going to spell it out for you: If you don't have a good mouse and mousepad, I can't help you. You won't develop good aim. Ever. And this goes tenfold for the LG.
    The argument can be made against the necessity of a gaming grade keyboard and a 120hz monitor, but a good mouse and pad are absolutely necessary. Also, to develop your game awareness and skill in general you'll want a decent headset.

Let me explain why this is so necessary. Let's use computers for comparison. Imagine trying to run Crysis with a 4GHz quad core processor. Should run pretty well, right? But a processor isn't enough for what you need to do, is it? No. For one, you need a graphics card. Now, what if the graphics card is an ancient Geforce 6400? It's an easy to answer question. The graphics card will bottle-neck your processor. In just the same way, a bad mouse and pad will limit your potential, and thus your skill.

Because no matter how much potential you may have, it won't matter if you are limited by your tools, which are the mouse and pad.

And I want to make this very clear, because people have criticized me for saying something I haven't said. I'm not saying good gear will automatically make you a good player. I'm saying bad gear will put limits on how good you can get.

There are lots of good mice to choose from, but generally you want to choose an optical mouse. The reason for this is that laser mice tend to malfunction and spazz out when you move them too quickly.

This is something you may not notice if you use a high mouse sensitivity, but if you're following my guide, chances are you'll want to lower it in the future, so an optical mouse is a better investment.

Also, the claim that laser mice are more precise than optical mice is a lie, plain and simple.

And never pay attention to the mouse DPI. DPI hardly matters at all, and if your DPI is too high your mouse may detect movement where there is none.

I use the Razer Deathadder, but there are plenty of other great choices, like the Razer Abyssus, Microsoft Intellimouse and Logitech MX518. If you're unsure, ask around.
    As for mousepads, there's two ways you can go; Hard surface, or cloth.

It's hard to go wrong with a hard pad. They tend to have great glide combined with almost perfect control. They all share a couple of problems however.

First of all, hard surfaces wear out your mouse skates very fast, and will eventually make you feel like your mouse skates are made of sandpaper. You can always change your skates, but it's annoying and expensive.

The second problem is size. If you want a big mousepad and are going for hard surface you're pretty much restricted to one option, and that's the QPAD HeatoN. An incredible mousepad to be sure, but bulky and hard to transport, and as I mentioned, it wears out your mouse skates.

For these reasons, I recommend a cloth pad. They're easy to clean, and size is no issue since they can be rolled up.

Finding a cloth pad that is as good as a hard surface pad is hard, however. The most popular ones seem to be the Razer Goliathus and the Steelseries QcK.

So which one should you get? The answer is neither, because they both suck. Don't get me wrong, they have great glide. But they have poor control.

Quite simply, they don't stop where you want them to stop. They keep gliding just a bit further. The end result is that you will overshoot a lot.

Instead, look at the Zowie G-TF SpawN. It glides just as well, if not better, and it stops precisely where you want it to stop. In other words, just as good as a hard pad. Just remember to clean it with cold water only. Hot water makes it form bumps.

I've also heard great things about the PureTrak Talent, but it's not available in Sweden, so I haven't had a chance to try it out. There's also a company called Artisan who make cloth pads, and I've heard more than one Artisan user say things such as "Artisan mousepads are the best in the world!" and expect it to be taken as objective truth. Of course, you'll probably have to import them from Japan, but I figure they're worth checking out.

Now that we have gear covered, let's talk about mouse sensitivity.
    I'm gonna put this as simply as I possibly can. Unless you have the hands of a surgeon, you're not gonna hit anything if your mouse sensitivity is higher than 20cm/360 (7.9in).

I know a lot of people are going to say ”Hey! I only need 10cm/360 and I hit high accuracies!”
    No. You don't. Shut up. 30% is quite average.

And if you happen to be one of those rare surgeon-aimers who can hit 40% with only 10/360, then you probably don't need my help to improve.

With this we've established an upper range of 20cm/360. Any higher and you'll have trouble tracking your opponent with your mouse. The lower range is a bit harder to define. If your sensitivity is too low you'll start having trouble turning 180 degrees without having to lift your mouse off the pad. And what's more, you'll find it harder to strafe jump.

Of course, some people do just fine with ridiculously low sensitivities. For instance, the pro-gamer Strenx needs 50cm to make a full 360 degree turn. But Strenx... is French.

To establish a lower range I like to use the size of my mousepad as reference. The pads I like tend to be around 40-45cm wide. To give you a nice margin, where you can make a 180 turn, lock on to your target and start fighting him instantly without having to lift your mouse I would therefore not lower it past 40cm/360. That's enough to make a 360 with one full sweep of your pad, leaving some margin of error.

With that, we've established a range between 20cm/360 for high sensitivity players, and around 40cm/360 for low sens players. To find your comfort zone quickly, I suggest playing for a couple hours with 20cm/360 and a couple with 40cm/360, then find out which one you prefer. Once you know that, think whether you'd prefer it to be a little lower or higher and change your sensitivity accordingly. Try to make a few flickrails with the sensitivity and see if it seems good.

Once you've done that, play with the resulting sensitivity for a couple weeks to get used to it. This way you hopefully won't develop a bad habit of constantly fiddling with your sensitivity.

Do note that I am not including acceleration to these calculations. Acceleration is by no means bad. It won't stop you from tracking your opponent precisely and it won't stop you from hitting flickrails, but if you do use acceleration it does change what sensitivities are reasonable to use.

I use around 30cm/360. I recommend that your mouse sensitivity be high enough that you can do at least a full 360 degree turn with one sweep of your mousepad, but this is just a guideline to give you some margin of error.

I shouldn't have to say this, but when playing, try to keep your mouse on the center of your mousepad as much as possible so that you don't have to lift it while you're in the middle of a fight.

Finally, I want to talk about ping. There are lots of misconceptions about ping, most of all when it comes to what constitutes a good ping.

Go in-game and open your console. Enable your netgraph by typing \cg_lagometer 2. Look at the green line.
    [show amsterdam lagometer]
    This is what it should look like. A low ping with a straight, smooth green line. This is what I get on Amsterdam servers. Now look at this one.

[paris lagometer]
    You'll notice the ping is higher. But the green line is still flat and smooth. That means you're still ok. And this means I can play fine on Paris servers, even with a relatively high ping.

[show frankfurt lagometer]
    Here the ping is lower than on the previous one. Indeed, it's quite good. But look at the green line. It's jagged. Hell, it's serrated. That means my ping, although low, is unstable. And that means that I can't hit a damn thing on Frankfurt servers.

This is what you should look for when you're looking for good servers. Don't just look for servers with the mindset ”Where do I have the lowest ping?”

Instead, look for servers where your ping is stable. It will spare you lots of frustration down the road. Trust me on this one.

Finally, I want to talk about my videos. Apart from this one, I'm going to make three of them.

The first one will cover aiming with the strafe keys. Or strafe-aim as I call it. Strafe aim will teach you to keep your mouse cursor still, only moving it to make small corrections while you try to strafe with your opponent to hit high accuracies.
    The second one will cover aiming with your mouse, or mouse-aim. This is one of the things that separates the good aimers from the great ones. You should be able to consistently hit accuracies of over 40% in tier 4 servers relying only on your strafe-aim.

However, you won't always be able to strafe with your opponent to hit high accuracies, and more importantly, you won't always want to, even if you can. The reason for this will be covered in-depth in my third video.

Dodging. Or as I like to call it: How to win a Lightning Gun duel. In this video, I will talk about how to shake off an enemy's lock when his crosshair seems glued on to you. I will talk about different strafe patterns used for dodging.

I will talk about how to counter an enemy's aim when he switches between strafe-aim and mouse-aim and lastly, I will do my best to explain to you how to hit an enemy while he's doing all of these things to dodge you.

It is important to know that watching these videos won't make you good. Everything I will talk about involve theory and methods of practice. That means it will be completely useless to you unless you actually use them.

The methods are there to ensure that you practice the correct way.
    But I did not become good just by having good practice methods. Infact, I developed these methods while practicing myself and grew from hitting an average of around 26% LG to having a profile average of 38%, never having played another Quake game online my whole life.

So how did I grow so much so quickly? The answer is quite simple. I did it by using almost nothing other than the lightning gun for several months. ”Practice, practice, practice.”

Part 1 script can be found here: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...l=1#post172740

*Roschach
    I like the idea, and I have to hand it to you, the script is pretty solid so far. I only have a few problems with it, but I feel I should say my perspective when it comes to good lg aim.

Earlier in my quake career, I was pretty obsessed with high lg accuracies. I saw visjes videos and wanted to do stuff like he did, but all the time. It got to the point where I was fiddling with my sens every match, never getting to feel right. The main problem I had was my mouse and mousepad. My mousepad back then was tiny, and it forced me to have high sens, which makes it impossible to aim properly, as well as having a ****ty small mouse. So I ordered the Qck+ mousepad and intellimouse explorer 3.0 online. After using them for awhile, I have to say they make the biggest improvement imaginable. I also adjusted my sens to a solid 2, with no accel. This gave me a sens of around 55cm/360 or something. All I know is that I can't do a full 360 when moving my mouse from one end of the mousepad to the other.

But I find doing a full revolution unnecessary, so I disagree with this statement: "I recommend that your mouse sensitivity be high enough that you can do at least a full 360 degree turn with one sweep of your mousepad,". You will never need to do a full revolution in-game. I've never had an issue with quick 180s.

I hit around 40%+ since the hitbox change, so the guide isn't aimed at me. But I'd like to see it finished.

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roschach View Post
    But I find doing a full revolution unnecessary, so I disagree with this statement: "I recommend that your mouse sensitivity be high enough that you can do at least a full 360 degree turn with one sweep of your mousepad,". You will never need to do a full revolution in-game. I've never had an issue with quick 180s.
    I never had an issue doing full 180s either, and my lowest sens in QL was around 80cm/360. What improved when I raised it wasn't necessarily my aim, but everything else. My movement saw vast improvement, my arm didn't get tired as quickly and I was not only able to do a quick 180, I was able to do a quick 180, lock on to my enemy instantly, start firing and aiming without lifting my mouse to center it and also keep following him if he kept dodging in the direction I moved my mouse to make the quick 180 without my mouse hitting the edge of the pad (this is why I recommend being able to do a full 360 with one sweep and not just a 180). And my aim didn't get worse when I raised it, which is the best part.

The 20-40cm/360 is a guidline, not a rule. Strenx has 50cm/360 last I checked and I've never seen him have any problems when I've played with him.

*Roschach
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I never had an issue doing full 180s either, and my lowest sens in QL was around 80cm/360. What improved when I raised it wasn't necessarily my aim, but everything else. My movement saw vast improvement, my arm didn't get tired as quickly and I was not only able to do a quick 180, I was able to do a quick 180, lock on to my enemy instantly, start firing and aiming without lifting my mouse to center it and also keep following him if he kept dodging in the direction I moved my mouse to make the quick 180 without my mouse hitting the edge of the pad (this is why I recommend being able to do a full 360 with one sweep and not just a 180). And my aim didn't get worse when I raised it, which is the best part.

The 20-40cm/360 is a guidline, not a rule. Strenx has 50cm/360 last I checked and I've never seen him have any problems when I've played with him.
    I'm at a point where I couldn't be bothered messing with my sens anymore. It takes too much fiddling and I don't have a problem with my other weapons accuracies. I understand that it's a guideline, but since it's aimed at, well "worse" players, they'll probably follow your advise to a T just to see an improvement. I think you should at least add: Higher cm/360 still works, but you get greater benefits from something like 20-30. Or something. I don't know. Regardless, good work.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    "If you don't have a good mouse and mousepad, I can't help you. You won't develop good aim. Ever. "

You have no clue how annoyed this just made me. You don't *NEED* a mousepad to aim well. You don't *NEED* a high-quality mouse. Whatever works for the user is fine. Sure, having a gaming mouse and mousepad may help by some very minor amount, but it's not enough to say that you'll never get good aim unless you use them. (Granted, I'm saying that you use the desk as a mousepad and not like your lap or something)

Also, just for the record (since I know someone will ask) I'm using a wireless mouse and my desk (and a laptop in 800x600)

Also, if you think that looking at my profile for my LG accuracy means anything it doesn't. If we removed the spam from my LG from when I'm aiming at an enemy that just went around a corner (expecting them to come back out) I'd probably have an lg accuracy of approx 30 if I'm warmed up. (I usually get about 23 or so in-game because I spam corners)

I'd personally like to see a tutorial on what to do to get an lg hold.
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 09-28-2011 at 07:56 AM.

*Roschach
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    "If you don't have a good mouse and mousepad, I can't help you. You won't develop good aim. Ever. "

You have no clue how annoyed this just made me. You don't *NEED* a mousepad to aim well. You don't *NEED* a high-quality mouse. Whatever works for the user is fine. Sure, having a gaming mouse and mousepad may help by some very minor amount, but it's not enough to say that you'll never get good aim unless you use them. (Granted, I'm saying that you use the desk as a mousepad and not like your lap or something)
    But they bring the most improvement, at least in my experience. That's why he emphasizes their importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roschach View Post
    I'm at a point where I couldn't be bothered messing with my sens anymore. It takes too much fiddling and I don't have a problem with my other weapons accuracies. I understand that it's a guideline, but since it's aimed at, well "worse" players, they'll probably follow your advise to a T just to see an improvement. I think you should at least add: Higher cm/360 still works, but you get greater benefits from something like 20-30. Or something. I don't know. Regardless, good work.
    I'll make sure to clarify my point in the script and make it clear why I suggest the sens I did. I'll also talk about how to find a good sens quickly rather than fiddling around with it too long. Used to have the same problem of changing my sens a lot, but I feel the one I have now is as perfect for me as it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post

You have no clue how annoyed this just made me. You don't *NEED* a mousepad to aim well. You don't *NEED* a high-quality mouse.
    Yeah, you do. You really, really do. I'll concede that you might be able to hit decent, if not great, rocket/rail with shabby gear, but if you want me to believe you can hit high-level competitive accuracies with the LG with trash you'd damn well better prove it. There's a reason pro gamers had bad accuracies back when they still played with ball mice. It's like trying to play Crysis with an awesome Sandy Bridge processor while using a 10 year old GPU. If the processor is you, and the GPU is your mouse and pad, guess which of them will bottleneck your performance.

Member mamook is an unknown quantity at this point
    until your tutorial is finished, newbies can learn from watching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZJXDxlS0M

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Well if you're talking about like the *insane* 40-60 accuracies that the pros have, that also can come with a ton of practice and messing with settings. It doesnt require all the "gaming" stuff

EDIT: I'm not talking consistently with 60% lg just to clarify
    Last edited by pikaluva13; 09-28-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    So far tutorial looks good. I for example may benefit from it - I have no problem with railing, but lg is like capped below 30%.

Only you could be nicer to the 10cm-surgeon-aimers. Maybe someone really can aim with that setting (but prolly still would benefit going to 20cm/360).

When i'm vs a lg acc 40 guy I try the following:
    - change to rockets - if the distance is low
    - do a fast left-right strafe dodging - works well on some, maybe netcode effect
    - circle around that guy (360 degrees or even more), sometimes this breaks enemy lg aim-lock if he uses strafe aim or very low sens.

+ Reply to Thread