View Poll Results: What is your preferred Free For All server size?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16 Player Max

19 21.84%
  • 14 Player Max

0 0%
  • 12 Player Max

13 14.94%
  • 10 Player Max

14 16.09%
  • 8 Player Max

41 47.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: FFA Server Player Limits

Banned bbjones is on a distinguished road
    I've been saying this *sigh* numerous times, but your FFA mode is what has been killing the game. It's what the new players play, and frankly, for an experienced player, 12-player FFA is just dumb - for a newb, its not even remotely fun.

I've introduced this game to so many people, and the answer has been consistent every time - something along the lines of:

- Chaotic gameplay, too many players in FFA
    - Models seem old (seriously, orb in '11, c'mon)
    - FFA gameplay is just spawn and die, they can't find a weapon - also because of the high number of players.
    - They aren't introduced to BJump or CJump or itemtimings in the tutorial
    - No minimap in loading screen, no mini maps available anywhere.

But whatever, /callvote playerlimit is already in the game. Why do we need a thread to make it an active command? Just go ahead and enable it.

Off-topic, remove the win/loss-ratio. It's killing fair play.
    Last edited by bbjones; 09-15-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    I vote for 8. I like the chaos in big FFA games, but imo a smaller teamsize will a) help new players to understand whats actually going on and b) produce more available games. Also eight players are enough even for big arenas like grim dungeons, dredwerkz or chemical reaction.

/vanish

Quote Originally Posted by momentoiya View Post
    But whatever, /callvote playerlimit is already in the game.
    Its not. And imo its clearly stated that id software won't introduce this for public servers since its a pro feature.
    Last edited by malk_; 09-15-2011 at 07:52 AM.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    I vote for 8. I like the chaos in big FFA games, but imo a smaller teamsize will a) help new players to understand whats actually going on and b) produce more available games. Also eight players are enough even for big arenas like grim dungeons, dredwerkz or chemical reaction.

/vanish

Its not. And imo its clearly stated that id software won't introduce this for public servers since its a pro feature.
    It is when you have the pro subscription. I cancelled my subscription about a week ago so I didn't notice it wasn't visible for standard players. But fact of the matter is, it would be a good idea to make it active in standard FFA. Limited to PRO/Premium is just stupid, I've had PRO subscription for more than a year - and I haven't seen a single game of premium FFA. Furthermore, making your own FFA server, lol, it's so primitive that pro players can't even name their own servers.

Member Flake is on a distinguished road
    I've been saying this *sigh* numerous times, but your FFA mode is what has been killing the game. It's what the new players play, and frankly, for an experienced player, 12-player FFA is just dumb - for a newb, its not even remotely fun.

I've introduced this game to so many people, and the answer has been consistent every time - something along the lines of:

- Chaotic gameplay, too many players in FFA
    - Models seem old (seriously, orb in '11, c'mon)
    - FFA gameplay is just spawn and die, they can't find a weapon - also because of the high number of players.
    - They aren't introduced to BJump or CJump or itemtimings in the tutorial
    - No minimap in loading screen, no mini maps available anywhere.

But whatever, /callvote playerlimit is already in the game. Why do we need a thread to make it an active command? Just go ahead and enable it.

Off-topic, remove the win/loss-ratio. It's killing fair play.
    FFA is not what I would introduce a new player to Quakelive with simply because, like you say, its likely to mean they just spawn and die over and over because they don't know the maps, don't know the location of weapons and don't know the quad location & timing etc etc. A better option to introduce a newb would be instactf or preferably Freeze Tag/Insta Freeze which promotes teamplay etc and you can gain points by thawing if you can't frag well yet. Unfortunatley for some inexplicable reason the most newb friendly mode is premium.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post

FFA is a team game ? Ah,thats were i`m going wrong.
    Seriously,8 player limit is just LOL who wants to try and find someone to shoot.
    The whole point of FFA is to jump in and start blasting ppl away,you wanna stack up on stuff and be tactical go play TDM ffs thats what the mode is for..........NOT FFA.
    8 player limit....PFFFFtt
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Member Flake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SyncError View Post
    We encourage players who wish to customize their play experience beyond the public servers through Pro launched Stat-a-Matches, where population sizes can be specified.
    I have now got pro and if the settings get changed from 12 I will try it your way (start-a-match! :P) and encourage others to do the same. If it doesn't work out though you can guarantee I will whine about it, thats what us quakers do!

If it stays at 12 players though, I won't need to bother :P 12 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    I have now got pro and if the settings get changed from 12 I will try it your way (start-a-match! :P) and encourage others to do the same. If it doesn't work out though you can guarantee I will whine about it, thats what us quakers do!

If it stays at 12 players though, I won't need to bother :P 12 FTW!
    Spoiler alert, nobody will join. I've hosted these games for about a year, but very few people join private games.

This is because of the very bad design of the game-filtering. People will have to select 'Private' servers instead of 'Public' servers in their customize tab - and nobody does that.

Sorry to say, but unless private(PRO) servers get upped in quality - such as being the first servers everyone sees - us being able to name our servers and more. People would rather join a TDM game called "Good Mannered TDM - Only Fairplay" than "Flake's unrestricted server", lol. Same goes with FFA, it just doesn't appeal to people.

Member nkh is on a distinguished road
    I hadn't even thought of the angle that has come up in a few posts there, but... If I were new to Quake, and my first impression was a crowded FFA server, I'd be put off the game quickly. Even as an experienced player it can be difficult to break the the SPAWN-SPAM-DIE cycle... So some kind of smaller limit makes sense.

I reckon we should do a new vote on one of two options;

1. Keep maxclients at 16, add callvote playerlimit 8-16 (min/max), implement queue system for spectators.
    2. Small FFA servers set to 8, Large FFA set to 16, callvote playerlimit remains disabled.

Although option 2 was my initial suggestion I now reckon option 1 makes more sense.

What do you guys reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by nkh View Post
    I hadn't even thought of the angle that has come up in a few posts there, but... If I were new to Quake, and my first impression was a crowded FFA server, I'd be put off the game quickly. Even as an experienced player it can be difficult to break the the SPAWN-SPAM-DIE cycle... So some kind of smaller limit makes sense.

I reckon we should do a new vote on one of two options;

1. Keep maxclients at 16, add callvote playerlimit 8-16 (min/max), implement queue system for spectators.
    2. Small FFA servers set to 8, Large FFA set to 16, callvote playerlimit remains disabled.

Although option 2 was my initial suggestion I now reckon option 1 makes more sense.

What do you guys reckon?
    I reckon that microtransactions, such as new playermodels for like 2-3$/model - pro/private servers being more visible (and appealing - pro players able to name them etc.) - a low (6-8) playerlimit as standard, callvote playerlimit to change, on FFA servers - and a removal of the 'loss'-stat would promote fair player, balanced games, less winner-team-joining and an overall more fun experience for everyone - from the pros to the noobs.

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Spoiler alert, nobody will join. I've hosted these games for about a year, but very few people join private games.

This is because of the very bad design of the game-filtering. People will have to select 'Private' servers instead of 'Public' servers in their customize tab - and nobody does that.

Sorry to say, but unless private(PRO) servers get upped in quality - such as being the first servers everyone sees - us being able to name our servers and more. People would rather join a TDM game called "Good Mannered TDM - Only Fairplay" than "Flake's unrestricted server", lol. Same goes with FFA, it just doesn't appeal to people.
    This is not quite true as it stands today.

Standard public FFA launched through Start a Match, with midgame voting enabled, and reduced player limit, and skill-matched.

Named servers are allowed for certain leagues, but are disabled by default as to prevent people spawning servers with inappropriate names. However you are definitely able to start a server that appears within the Public view.

+ Reply to Thread