+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Help With a Recording Tutorial

*cactusface

Please Help With a Recording Tutorial

Hey, Im trying to record some demos, get them into a video format, edit them and upload a "frag movie" to Youtube. The only problem is, I have no idea how to do it. Can someone plz take the time to make a complete recording tutorial, or post a link to an already existing one? These are the main things I want to know.

1) How to actually record a demo
    2) How to access the demo's file once it is recorded.
    3) How to get the demo into a video format (mp4, AVI, etc.)
    4) Any additional programs needed to record SOUND in the demo, or additional programs for any part of this process.

I thank anyone who can help

Member korfi is on a distinguished road korfi's Avatar
    Here you go Quake Live Recording Guide
    To record a demo write /record <demoname>
    in console.
    The demos is in your quakelive demo folder (almost same place as where you copy hes config).
    Last edited by korfi; 08-28-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Originally Posted by Fudge911
    Will you get an infraction for animal abuse if you frag a person that has an animal in their name?
    Originally Posted by Fudge911
    I was going to make the thread multiple-choice, but II didn't want to get trolled by people selecting all of the choices.
    I troll people; people don't troll Fudge.

Senior Member joz is on a distinguished road
    That thread is really old and outdated.

1) set cg_autoaction 1 in the console (ctrl+alt+` ~ or whatever key is next to 1 and below esc)
    This will record all of your games. Apparently the default is 1 so you might have a lot of demos already.

You can record manually by typing record DEMONAME

2) get QLDT to browse your demos.

3) get wolfcamql to record your demos. This takes some tweaking if you want to get fancy settings, to start with most people disable all of the hud except the frag messages. For that you need to do a few commands
    cg_drawstatus 0
    cg_drawspeed 0
    cg_drawattacker 0
    cg_weaponbar 0
    cg_lagometer 0
    cg_drawclientitemtimer 0
    cg_drawanything_else_you_can_see_on_your_screen 0 (not a real command )

To open your demos in wolfcam from qldt go to options>preferences>playback>other

set path to file as wolfcamql.exe, which will be wherever you choose to extract it.

Set the title to WolfcamQL and tick all the boxes for "open with", now you can double click demos in QLDT and they open in wolfcam ready for recording to video.

to start recording your video from wolfcam type \video VIDEONAME
    to stop recording type \stopvideo

You will get the video files (in uncompressed avi format) you recorded in the wolfcam directory that you can open from the main menu in wolfcam.

2 b) you can skip number 2 and 3 and grab QLDP and fraps, and just record it. You should be able to figure that out, buty it requires a good processor and hard disk, and it will be lower quality.

Next, you can open your video files in a video editor, e.g. windows live movie maker, or sony vegas pro chain them together and do any effects you like, and then render either with mp4 (h264, avc), mpeg2 or whatever is easy for you.

Then upload to youtube.

Fin.

*cactusface
    Man thx a lot joz ur explanation is great

*cactusface
    I'm having some trouble....

When I am watching the demo in wolfcamql, I type cl_aviframerate 60 ,enter, and then video avi.

This should start recording the vid to 60 frames per second and an avi format. The problem is, the video starts going in slow motion frame by frame, until i stop it. And the avi video is also laggy and in frame by frame. Anyone know a fix?

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusface View Post
    the video starts going in slow motion frame by frame, until i stop it. And the avi video is also laggy and in frame by frame.
    By default, you write out uncompressed raw avi. This means few seconds of footage can be few gigabytes in size. No way to write or read from disk with enough speed to make this on the fly. You can switch to Motion JPEG to make the avi smaller (but you will lose quality) or you can recode the huge raw avi to a high quality profile of h264 before viewing/uploading. Also go framerate 30, YouTube won't accept 60 anyhow, you're just wasting time.

Senior Member joz is on a distinguished road
    Playing HD video at 60fps is hard enough for your PC. Playing uncompressed avi at 60fps is almost impossible.

First off, I forgot to say, install the k-lite full codec pack , and the 64 bit one ASWELL if you are on a 64 bit system. It has better codecs than windows defaults, and offers options for lossless compression along with many codecs for viewing weird video formats that might come in useful later on.

You have a few options:

1) Just edit it as it is, and render it out, just like normal. Depending on your PC the preview will be really laggy and you might not see what is going on, but the video will be of highest quality, and there are less intermediate steps.

2) Compress all your recorded video files with a lossless compression, i.e. lagarith (in k-lite). Its easiest to do that in virtualdub. This might still be laggy but it will be better. Your video files will be around 1/2 the size, and it wont affect the final quality.

3) Comress everything in high quality H.264. This should look OK and decrease file size to something really tiny in comparison to the original file. This will make editing flow quite easily, and will drastically reduce the size of all your clips, but will potential produce a slightly lower quality final video.

You can render H.264 properly using megui guide here, just follow the instructions. Some of it is about DVD ripping, so it isnt as long as it looks. Key point: remember to edit the avisynth file to read audio=true, and specify the avisynth script as the audio input. Once you have it set up it will be easy to add videos and compress them quickly

You will probably want to do that for the final video file too.

*cactusface
    OK thx again

+ Reply to Thread