+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quitting CTF before end of game...oh and a different map.

Junior Member Roger_Ramjet is on a distinguished road

Quitting CTF before end of game...oh and a different map.

As everyone who plays CTF knows, players quitting because they are losing and don't want thier statistics to suffer are a big problem.

It ruins many matches as other players quite rightly aren't very willing to swap teams to even up the game.

The easy way to stop this happening is to get rid of the "quit stat" and if a player quits it's registered as a loss.

Having this feature would improve the game play as it would encourage players who want to quit for the sake of their stats to play until the end.

I actually can't see any disadvantages to a change like this but would welcome any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea and I've missed the glaringly obvious.

The other suggestion would be a different map. I haven't played it for years and can't remember the title of it but basically there where 2 fortresses outside joined by a valley. In the middle of the valley was a bridge if you decided to run along the ridge of the valley as opposed to the floor.
    I hope someone can recall the name of this map as I'd like to suggest reintroducing it as I recall it being quite a popular choice years ago.

Frag ye later....Ramjet.

Member kerk is on a distinguished road
    Same problems in CA servers, matchs ruined by quitters, need solutions.

Senior Member Marklar is on a distinguished road Marklar's Avatar
    I opened a suggestion some months ago about this. I had a solution that may work.
    It was ignored of course, since it was not just a 2-word suggestion like "add cpma" or "give maps" and stuff.
    The main idea was to show only wins and quits. So losing a game won't "punish" you by adding +1 loss. You get an award for winning (+1 win stat) but you don't get a punishment if your team loses.

Counting how many times you have lost (especially in FFA, where you lose if you are not the first) is ridiculous. Right now, ppl won't switch teams to make them even, most of the times. Why? Not because they want a "win" so badly, but because they don't want a "loss".

With this small change (hiding Losses) if you lose, that's ok, you lost, nothing happened. If you win, you get +1 win. I think this may work.

However, quitting would mean a punishment, since it would be counted.

btw, I heard quit counts as a loss too since the update.
    Last edited by Marklar; 08-18-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAimNoName View Post
    You cannot convince someone who does not think.

Junior Member Roger_Ramjet is on a distinguished road
    btw, I heard quit counts as a loss too since the update.
    Really? Well at least that's something. I wonder, does anyone from ID ever come on here to reply to questions or is it all one way??

Junior Member sevenup1 is on a distinguished road
    this is now a MAJOR problem in instagib since they introduced win/loss stats, they need to remove it from insta and make like it was

Quote Originally Posted by sevenup1 View Post
    this is now a MAJOR problem in instagib since they introduced win/loss stats, they need to remove it from insta and make like it was
    Before the update, forums were full of "make instastats count" suggestions, so they made it, for the community. I don't think they'll reverse it.

Junior Member sevenup1 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarklar View Post
    Before the update, forums were full of "make instastats count" suggestions, so they made it, for the community. I don't think they'll reverse it.
    the problem with insta (far more than in all wep servers) is that there is a significant amount of very high level players and it can be hard (if not impossible) to find a match in your own skill level. Before you could all play for the sake of playing and it didn't matter if you lost with 100 deaths and only 20 frags, but now it is just annoying that you are forced to play against higher level players (or not play at all) AND you get a nice 'loss' mark against your name,
    this is why people are forever quitting, and not switching to level.

I've just come from a match, my own skill level, 6v6 after we went 2-0 up 4 (count them 4) of the opposing team quit, luckily a few new players came in to level the teams, but it was obvious they were from highter levels as within a couple of minuets the scores were 4-3 against us, scored by the new players. THIS is what is not fair and I cannot help but think that without the stats the 4 wouldnt have left (or if they did people would have leveled the teams) and it wouldn't have mattered that higher level players came in (luckily one of them then left and we managed to win 5-4)

It is a bitter pill to swollow being on the winning stronger side, then a load quit and get replaced by better players AND then being owned untill one of them decides to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenup1
    you get a nice 'loss' mark against your name, this is why people are forever quitting, and not switching to level.
    That is why my suggestion would work.

Do not count losses, only wins and quits.
    Too bad, I wrote a block of text so noone reads it and that suggestion will get ignored just like it did in Beta when I opened a thread.

Senior Member regurge is on a distinguished road regurge's Avatar
    OHH ***a*****f******s*******r****,i typed a nice long text and than my browser crashed ..

Here is the short version:
    the quit thing is a big problem, but i think id will patch the join/spec bug with the next release and the situation will gets a bit better

Removing the loose stats completley should be not the right way .. my idea is to punish quiters or winner team joiners etc.. when you leave the server during a game you will get a penaltypoint..after 5 points or whatever you will receive something which everyone can see ... a red mark in your profile, -5 wins, dont know.. but you are able to remove this points by playing 5-10 matches in a row without quitting, another punish can be a quakelive ban for one day

People quit for other reasons too, losing team is not the only reason.

But my suggestion was mainly about uneven teams and ppl not wanting to play a fair game, but instead they try not to lose however they can. Quake Live is not a "friendly" game like Quake 3 was, statpadding makes it worse. I don't know about you guys, but I'm sure that showing only "Wins" and "Quits" would make it a somewhat better.

+ Reply to Thread