+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why cant I run this game On Ubuntu (Linux)

*XxXRippinXxX

Help why is this game acting dumb COME HERE PLEASE

I recently Downloaded Quake Live on to Linux Ubuntu 11.04. I am facing troubles in game.

Lag, Graphics, Script Failure, and other things.

can I solve this problem???

Oh yea I got good graphics, memory and everything....

Plus Do i need to get java or some other alternative program to help me run this
    Last edited by XxXRippinXxX; 07-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.

*XxXRippinXxX

Why cant I run this game On Ubuntu (Linux)

Every time I try to go in-game the ads lag me, I get disconnected, and my computer freezes and or crashes, and last but not least the graphics gets weird when I mess around with the video settings. I am running a good computer, does anyone have any idea why I may experience this...

Do I need other Alternative programs live Java or Adobe Acrobat Reader? can someone help me out....

*nuane
    What graphics card do you have? If AMD or Nvidia then are proprietary drivers installed?

*XxXRippinXxX
    Quote Originally Posted by nuane View Post
    What graphics card do you have? If AMD or Nvidia then are proprietary drivers installed?
    according to terminal it tells me I have nVidia Corporation NV18GL [Quadro NVS 280 SD] I have No idea *** that means... all I know its nVidia

*XxXRippinXxX
    Bumping Thread

Senior Member joz is on a distinguished road
    things to check (you can google them for instructions, just copy and paste, then add ubuntu 11.04 to the search query:

proprietary video card drivers installed?
    flash plug-in installed (might be required for the pregame ads, i dont know i have premium)?
    are you trying to play windowed? fullscreen works better.
    hmm thought i could do a longer list...

what exactly is wrong? does lag mean network lag or bad framerate?

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Install proprietary driver (can any Ubuntu fan step in with install instruction?)

Quote Originally Posted by XxXRippinXxX View Post
    I am running a good computer
    Quote Originally Posted by XxXRippinXxX View Post
    I have nVidia Corporation NV18GL [Quadro NVS 280 SD]
    Your computer may be good, but that GPU is at least 8 years old and even back then it was a weak GPU for dual monitors and not gaming. Just saying... You will probably need a legacy driver.

*XxXRippinXxX
    where can I buy a driver to update it to be able to run QuakeLive or anygames Like counter Strike Source cause soon I might change it to windows XP cause this sucks

Senior Member everamzah is on a distinguished road everamzah's Avatar

make sure driver 'nvidia' is loaded and X11 is configured to use it

typing lsmod at the terminal should return module 'nvidia' (ex $lsmod|grep nvidia)
    using apt, sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

ubuntu should have a 'restricted drivers' panel you can use as well. gl

ps: u can get the nvidia driver's for linux from their website. but you would have to install them manually.
    Last edited by everamzah; 07-08-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: additional resource

*XxXRippinXxX
    Instead of buying one I just get one off the internet? but I wanted one off of bestbuy or newegg or amazon. If I update my driver will I be able to play QL

+ Reply to Thread