View Poll Results: Should QuakeLive add Chrome and Chromium as a browser to play on

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: (Explain in this thread WHY!?!)

67 88.16%
  • NO: (Explain in this thread WHY!?!)

9 11.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Petition to make Chrome and Chromium part of QUAKELIVE!!!

*XxXEXOXxX
    I should make a petition in suggestions to get people to help out FOR ALL LINUX, OSX, or any OS USERS!

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    So you're saying that there are Linux users that can't use any other browser than Chrome? That's funny, I thought Linux is about choice... Just use a proper browser. On Linux, QL works in every browser apart from Chrome and Opera. I know, I've played with 6 different browsers. You can believe me, as I posted instructions on how to make QL work in anything Gecko-based (search for Firefox 4) and WebKit-based (search for Epiphany).

But since you've started a "petition" here, why don't you star the actual Chrome issues?
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...etail?id=38229
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...etail?id=43941
    18 people in total want Quake Live on Linux... Yeah, that's sure way to make id and Google work on that! ;)

*justbientheboss
    simply do to the fact that chrome is faster and has safer security features. fps on chrome are superior to those of other browsers plus it is not an expensive thing to fix. finally it will allow more new usurers do to the fact that chrome is the fastest growing web browser

*grandkai
    I'de be playing right now if chrome worked on my comp.

*rolymo27
    my main reason for saying yes is the fact that although i have the plugin running fine in firefox 5 (f15 x64) it would be nice if for a change we could have a plugin that just works. not to mention anything that may make people aware of linux as more than a good server OS must be a bonus

*Raeven
    Quote Originally Posted by justbientheboss View Post
    simply do to the fact that chrome is faster and has safer security features. fps on chrome are superior to those of other browsers plus it is not an expensive thing to fix. finally it will allow more new usurers do to the fact that chrome is the fastest growing web browser
    Please enlighten us as to why this is an inexpensive fix.

*czerro
    Depends? Example I play on linux sometimes, even though it isn't supported in latest firefox. Simply modifying the installer and changing the supported version information rectifies the situation. So essentially there is no latest firefox support on linux because quakelive wants it that way, not because it is difficult or would actually require any work whatsoever. Infact it required more work to introduce this restriction on linux clients since I can play on Firefox 4 on windows just fine. Why is this code in there? Why does it work by simply modifying the installer to verify FF4 versions in linux? I don't think chrome the browser/OS is very good, but I also don't think it would require any effort to make a QL plugin...

*Schrikvis
    Well yeah. Because magnets.

Member Xfer is on a distinguished road Xfer's Avatar

Thumbs up F1

I don't think full browser support is even on the radar for the developer(s). IE 7/8 and Firefox 2/3 are listed on QL home page as browsers to use. IE 9 is out and so is Firefox 7. Let alone Chrome, which I agree should be supported dues to it's web market share. Ultimately though, it's only a minor annoyance as I don't mind using IE or FF as long as progress is being made on other more critical game needs. I just use Chrome for everything else.

Junior Member Shpongle is on a distinguished road
    Last time I played QL was last year and I played it through chrome...now I can't play, and I WONT play it, until they FIX THIS!

+ Reply to Thread