+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 FFA

Senior Member LITTLEVATO is on a distinguished road LITTLEVATO's Avatar
    I think i know why they did, its because it could be abused to easily, a tier 4 player could start a new account play crash, score nothing and get into tier 1 for the easy win. i know how much you hate the alt accounts coolout lol.

Banned CooloutAC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEVATO View Post
    I think i know why they did, its because it could be abused to easily, a tier 4 player could start a new account play crash, score nothing and get into tier 1 for the easy win. i know how much you hate the alt accounts coolout lol.
    lol ya man i believe thats the reason why. newbs would have it even worse...lol can u imagine. some guys raging on them calling them names and spawn killing them haha. I can picture it now... the newb goes " how do i jump so high with RJ like that?" and the t4 slummer goes "hahah you #@&#@& $#&%(# F4 UNINSTALL #@@& you #&@#&(#@" and like i said. one out of 2 guys have alt accounts.(check the forum poll) whether for malicious intent or not.

i wonder if ID is allowing alt accounts also because it looks like new people are always joining the game. And they can say more people are playing ql for shareholders and advertisers....lmao Are they like enron getting their ql golden parachute ready while they just milk it for all they can before it shuts down, while not reall giving a $#@!? and tier system, and the 25k people they say are playing(lmao) are all facades?

I bet that 25k is the number of the all the accounts that ever joined ql in the past 3 years, including alt accounts. and that we could of had at least 10k people if everyone stayed. I'm sure its more like only 2500 across the world playing at least one game a week in reality though, including alts.
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 06-26-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Senior Member LITTLEVATO is on a distinguished road LITTLEVATO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CooloutAC View Post
    i wonder if ID is allowing alt accounts also because it looks like new people are always joining the game. And they can say more people are playing ql for shareholders and advertisers....lmao
    I dont think they will deliberately do that man, i remember a thread a while back where visje got a ban for his alt account, so they do try to stop it but with dynamic ip's theres not a lot they can do. well there is but that a different subject for a different thread haha :P

*DrewPWiener
    Yet, what we understand of the tier systems is all based around the mechanics of the game (efficiency, wins, frag/death ratio, etc.). Players in higher tiers understand ways of manipulating these factors better (proper weapon use, timing items, etc.). Restricting a players ability to move between tiers and manipulate these factors against players who are less efficient at it is a handicap in my mind. For instance, the only tier where I see a strong contrast between people who can perfectly time items and those that cannot is tier 4. Tiers are there to level the playing field, but at some point they become less useful. Your real life sports analogy expresses this fact. There are certain professional athletes that are far superior to others, yet they play in the same level. Does Quake Live need another tier between 3 and 4? Sure. Is creating one justified by player volume? We do not know since we do not have the information on player volume at any given time that id has - creating one is up to them.

Yes, you are right that players are not given more armor or health than other players. You are also right about the length of a game's life, but has that really changed? In fact, I would argue it is less today. Quake Live has been out of Beta for less than a year! Yet, id already has two new games in development (and a new Quake in the early stages). How do we know that the life of Quake Live will be greater than two years until we reach that milestone?

Coolout, I agree with you that multiple accounts are an issue - whether it is for slumming or cheating. I just do not see an easy fix to the problem since id wants to keep their game available to all. If they tied the accounts to credit cards or cell phone numbers, it limits the player base, which is not in id's interest. I am sure if a reasonable solution came along, it would be implemented. Right now, the ideas on the message boards create as many problems as the ones that they would solve.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEVATO View Post
    I dont think they will deliberately do that man, i remember a thread a while back where visje got a ban for his alt account, so they do try to stop it but with dynamic ip's theres not a lot they can do. well there is but that a different subject for a different thread haha :P
    he said he got banned for having an alt..... but i wondered if he was banned for some other reasons. and the fact he had an alt is always suspect to me. but you might be right... and yes i'm tired of quoting google on banning the internet bots subject.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by insect View Post
    Tier 1 players rarely move, don't jump, .
    Actually,they tend to bounce around like demented rubber balls on mind altering drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPWiener View Post
    Yet, what we understand of the tier systems is all based around the mechanics of the game (efficiency, wins, frag/death ratio, etc.). Players in higher tiers understand ways of manipulating these factors better (proper weapon use, timing items, etc.). Restricting a players ability to move between tiers and manipulate these factors against players who are less efficient at it is a handicap in my mind. For instance, the only tier where I see a strong contrast between people who can perfectly time items and those that cannot is tier 4. Tiers are there to level the playing field, but at some point they become less useful. Your real life sports analogy expresses this fact. There are certain professional athletes that are far superior to others, yet they play in the same level. Does Quake Live need another tier between 3 and 4? Sure. Is creating one justified by player volume? We do not know since we do not have the information on player volume at any given time that id has - creating one is up to them.

Yes, you are right that players are not given more armor or health than other players. You are also right about the length of a game's life, but has that really changed? In fact, I would argue it is less today. Quake Live has been out of Beta for less than a year! Yet, id already has two new games in development (and a new Quake in the early stages). How do we know that the life of Quake Live will be greater than two years until we reach that milestone?

Coolout, I agree with you that multiple accounts are an issue - whether it is for slumming or cheating. I just do not see an easy fix to the problem since id wants to keep their game available to all. If they tied the accounts to credit cards or cell phone numbers, it limits the player base, which is not in id's interest. I am sure if a reasonable solution came along, it would be implemented. Right now, the ideas on the message boards create as many problems as the ones that they would solve.
    i'm not sure you understand what handicapping is. besides the defintion with horse racing...which i realy enjoy. in fact i'm going to the track today lol....but If only i could bet on quake matches. i'd be a millionaire. Real life is the template gentlemen. to ignore real life is a fantasy and an illusion your trying to sell people.

sure there are some superb atheltes. first of all pro athletes are not consistent like online gamers.. becaues they are human.. tiger woods is sucking right now....first point. second lebron james and his miami team lost. salary caps are like an autobalance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handicapping

stopping nba players from playing highschool kids is not handicapping them dude lmao. If your using the tired line that we don't have enough players to justify this. that was still used when we had 80% more in beta..... why don't you just browse servers and count yourself. I just did the math on the 4 tier 4 servers i joined today to check ratings. there would of been at least one full t5.

and i said most games become unpopular after 2 years. q3a and ql included. cs being an exception... I mean we had 80% more players in beta dude. its as low as its gonna get now. lets try to grow it back up.

and you really think tying alt accounts to cell phone numbers is going to limit the playerbase? WHAT PLAYERBASE!?!?!? who stays with this game? gimme a break. for a FREE game? i chuckle everytime i hear this one dude. as tucker pointed out 70% of the players are over 21. I mean gmail is the most popular email service right now dude. people would actually rather put in their cell number for gmail,, instead of yahoo which doesn't require one.
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 06-26-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Member poocasso is on a distinguished road poocasso's Avatar
    I am Tier 1 player. Ask me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Poocasso View Post
    I am Tier 1 player. Ask me anything.
    THEY REALLY EXIST@!@

wow dude its nice to meet you. so.... is there lots of guys your level? when did you first play quake? what gamemode is your fav?

*DrewPWiener
    A handicap is anything that manipulates a games results that is not based on a degree of skill in the game. I do not think that item timing is a based on skill, but merely knowledge of the game. id does not offer information on item timing to new players. It is also very likely that most new players just jump in and play. Sure it is not the same as providing a player with a lower score cap, but it is not a skill, like learning to move well and aim. Hopefully everybody that is playing can do the basic math that timing requires. The players that do this effectively seem to move up in the tiers quickly and are restricted from playing with those that cannot, which is probably why tier 3 and 4 are so saturated.

Real life tiers are not usually based on skill, but other factors like a player's age, weight, etc. Sure there are some skill divisions, but they are just as large as the ones we experience in this game; which was my point regarding professional athletes. The fact that you see skill variance in professional sports does not mean that it does not exist in little league.

I know you really like your cell phone idea, but until I see some actual data on how many players are playing worldwide and how many of those players have cell phones than it is just presumptive. It is a free game, you have little idea what resources are available to other players. The simple fact that they have access to a computer and the Internet does not mean they have a cell phone. I am sure id and Zenimax are thinking something similar regarding the issue.

+ Reply to Thread